3 year olds and regular bikes

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Poohbear05, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

I was going to get 2 wheeled bikes for the kids for Easter. I saw the pedal-less kind that I really wanted to get for my 19 month old (so he can be like his big sisters)

But now that I saw the Strider bikes, I'm wondering about getting those for everyone. My girls had trikes and got the hang of the pedals on those pretty well, though their feet never reached. :)

If you got regular pedal bikes for your 3-3.5 year old's, how'd they do with them?? Did it take them a while to figure it out??

If you had to do over, would you go for the pedal-less bikes, or just stick with the regular pedal bikes at that age???

2. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mine are turning 4 this month and they'll either get bikes from someone for their birthday or if no one goes with that idea, then we'll get them bikes for Easter (they're getting a play structure from us for their birthday). While I do like the idea of the "pedal-less" bikes I think they'll end up with 12 inch bikes with training wheels. We've tried out that size in the stores and they do well on them.

I think by next summer one of my DD's will want her training wheels off. That's just the way she is. ;)

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Meghan was riding her 12 inch (with training wheels) at a little over 2 years old. Nolan was closer to 2 1/2 when he was getting comfortable on his. Liam rode them last summer (like a maniac) at 2 1/2. I am going to move up to 16 inch for N&M and let Liam have the 12 inch bike this summer. And both N&M were asking to take the training wheels off by the end of last summer, so I am sure they won't have them for long come spring.

4. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

But now that I saw the Strider bikes, I'm wondering about getting those for everyone. My girls had trikes and got the hang of the pedals on those pretty well, though their feet never reached. :)

If you got regular pedal bikes for your 3-3.5 year old's, how'd they do with them?? Did it take them a while to figure it out??

If you had to do over, would you go for the pedal-less bikes, or just stick with the regular pedal bikes at that age???
    [/quote]

I'm in the same situation as you with getting them bikes for Easter. I just saw someone post about that 'striker bikes' and wondering if it was too late for me. My twins are 3.5 yrs old. Last summer they had a very small used trike bike and was able to reach the pedal and start riding them around. I think it is too late for us and get the regular bikes with training wheels. I have to go to a bike store and they would tell me which size to get for inseam for this summer and next one. I am hoping to find a used bike from craiglist for them. If not, we can buy their bike.

Good luck!

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I have one that can pedal a 16 inch with training wheels and one that is not so interested just yet.

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two were riding 12 inch bikes at 2.5 years old. It did not take them long to figure them out, they were so excited to have a regular bike to ride like their big sister. :)

7. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We just got our kids bikes for their birthday. They have been riding them in the basement and they both caught on fairly quickly. My daughter still has some issues with the pedals, but overall they are doing great on them.

8. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

We are planning to get the girls bikes for their birthday this year. We will go with the 12 inch with training wheels.

9. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Mine have had theirs since they were two and they are experts now. My SIL got the smallest ones Walmart had, and they just grew into them. They can really ride them great now. We will be getting bigger ones pretty soon.

10. Angie26

Angie26 Well-Known Member

Mine road their little bikes with training wheels but weren't sure about the brakes). They are now off training wheels and we got them bigger bikes for Christmas and are doing great (They even figured out the brakes). I think the key is just for them to practice, practice, practice.