3-wheel scooters...what age?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Faith00, May 1, 2007.

1. Faith00

Faith00 Well-Known Member

Ian and Grayson are 18 mos and have experienced a scooter only once, with the help of an older child. My friend mentioned that the 3-wheel scooters would be more stable for the boys. In the stores I have only seen ones with two wheels in the back, but I thought someone mentioned that two wheels in the front is easier to steer or more stable. I don't want to spend a fortune on a scooter, but thought it might be fun for them to play with.
    Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated!
    TIA

faith

2. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

My boys got 3-wheel scooters for their 4th birthdays. The two wheels are in the back. Mine wouldn't have been ready for them at 18 months.

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Mine got 3 wheel scooters for their 2nd birthday, but really didn't ride them well until they were closer to three. The two wheels are in the back. It would be too hard to steer with 2 wheels in the front.

4. candctwinfactory

candctwinfactory Well-Known Member

We were just looking at trikes lastnight at Target. I saw one that was $25 that had two wheels in the front and one in the back, it looked like it would be just fine for a 18 month. My DH wants to buy our two tricycles, but I think they are way to young for the concept and the mechanics. I could see them liking a push trike, two wheels front and back.

ETA... here is the 4-Wheeled Scooter I liked

5. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

18 mons is a tricky age. Most kids are not coordinated enough to do much more than ride on cars/toys by feet (Fred Flintstone style). Our boys learned to pedal a few months after 2yrs old and were speed demons by age 2.5yrs. Many of their friends could not pedal until closer to 3yrs.

Another set of twin boys we play with frequently have always been very advanced with their gross motor skills. They seem to catch on to how to ride on a scooter shortly after 2yrs old. Our boys did not figure it out until the end of August (a bit after 2.5yrs). But every kid is very different. However, I think most kids would not "get" the scooter thing at 18mons. They probably aren't even tall enough to hold the handles. And yes...all scooters that I have seen are 2 wheels in the back.

6. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(with2fs @ May 2 2007, 09:28 AM) [snapback]241225[/snapback]
    We were just looking at trikes lastnight at Target. I saw one that was $25 that had two wheels in the front and one in the back, it looked like it would be just fine for a 18 month. My DH wants to buy our two tricycles, but I think they are way to young for the concept and the mechanics. I could see them liking a push trike, two wheels front and back.

ETA... here is the 4-Wheeled Scooter I liked

We have this one and it's a big hit at our house. Not sure about scooters, as it seems they would need to be older.

7. crazybabies

crazybabies Well-Known Member

We bought the scooters with 1 wheel in front & 2 in back a couple of months ago (twins 2 1/2). They were riding them by the end of the day. A little frustrated at first, but they got it quickly. I found the sets at Toys R Us. They came with a helmet, knee pads & elbow pads (not that my kids will wear them all the time, but I try). Anyway, the sets were around $30 each.

8. tamra

tamra New Member

You need to check out these scooters. Go to the toysrus website and look at the mini micro preschool scooter. My boys were 2 last August and they started riding these last summer (before they were 2). They are very stable. It may take a day or two for them to get the hang of it but mine absolutely love these. During the cold months we brought them into the kitchen and basement. We originally bought one for my son Andrew who is almost 9 now. He was also around 2 when he started riding this. My point is that we have been very very happy with this scooter. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. I can't say enough good things about these scooters. My boys also have the radio flyer tri-cycle and they still don't do well at all on these.

9. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

Beau isn't coordinated enough yet, but Brandon has been riding a 3-wheeled scooter {2 in the back} since about 2 yrs old.

10. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

18 months way too young IMHO for scooters. Dd did not get her 2 wheeled Razor until 4. And she was not really into it until 6. Now loves it more than a bike.

the boys are much more athletic than her already so they will prolly get the 3 wheels around 3 maybe? they are just now learning to ride a trike. Do not want to rush them growing up! :clapping: