3.5yr olds not falling asleep

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Specky, May 8, 2012.

1. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Our boys have always been great sleepers, but the last couple of weeks they haven't been falling asleep before 10pm.
    We put them to bed about 7:30pm and they tend to get up about 5am.
    They were still taking a 3yr nap in the afternoon which we've switched to one hr. They just can't seem to give them up, they will go in on their own and fall asleep.

We play very hard outdoors most days and are very physically active. Their eyes will tell you that they are so tired. They aren't disruptive at night, one will toss and turn and the other one will look at books.

Is this developmental...will this phase pass...or is their something we should change about their schedule? We are.farmers who go to bed and get up early and me going to bed at 10pm is killing me! Lol!

Thanks guys!
    Rebecca

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

How about putting them to bed later? When I notice my boys are having a hard time falling asleep, I put them to bed a little bit later. Instead of 7:30, try 8:00 for a few nights. If that does not work, try 8:15.

The average 3 year old needs 12-13 hours of sleep per day.

3. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Thanks! Well that seemed to work! They are back to going to bed at 7:30, falling asleep by 8 and sleeping until 6ish! We have cut their male to about 1.5hrs, this seemed to help too. Thanks for your input!!

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Glad you got it figured out! Mine normally go to bed at 10 so it's no big deal to me! ;)