2nd floor loft safety, suggestions PLEASE!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by de_acevedo, Feb 26, 2010.

1. de_acevedo

de_acevedo Active Member

I have a 2 story house and on a second floor loft. It has a balcony type rail right next to the stairs. The stairs go straight down and they are wooden. I have a gate at the top of the stairs but really, I fear they can get a chair or a scooter, step on it and climb over (the gate or the rail). They've done this to reach for the remote on the entertainment center, never by the stairs though. Oddly enough I seem to be the only one with this problem because I don't see anything on the market for this problem. I have also never seen anyone post a question like this. Any solutions?

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I would check out this website and maybe you could find something else. We live in a tri-level and our living room is 6 steps up and it has a banister type thing along one side and it connects to the dining room. We ended up using latisse (sp) along it and used clear zip ties to keep it up. I couldn't put a gate up since there isn't really a wall so instead we used a couple panels of the play yard and that worked for us. GL it's so hard but trust your gut and if you feel it isn't safe then there are also baby safe companies you can call.

3. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

That's a tough one! We have a second floor loft too, but the boys don't play up there. It's DH's "office" aka messy room. The boys are really only upstairs for bedtime. Around 18 months my boys were really good at going up and down the stairs themselves so we did away with the gate at the top for good at 21 months. Teaching them a safe way to go down the stairs was a big relief to me.

4. bmatlock

bmatlock Well-Known Member

i think we live in the same house! our boys' rooms are upstairs and our loft railing and stair railing is WAY too spaced apart, they would have fallen right through. so we put up a banister guard (toysrus.com and target.com). it's a clear plastic material you can nail to the wooden railing. it comes with a hole punch and some ties and we were able to use those on the loft part, but we had to nail it on the outside of the stairs. we also put a gate at the top AND bottom of the stairs. i was worried taht when they start climbing out of their cribs they would tumble down the stairs, so the extra gate at the top calmed my nerves.

they do play up there sometimes but we don't have furniture that they could use to climb on and topple over the edge, just toys and a bookcase (fastened to the wall).

good luck!