2nd day of naps in cribs - anyone else recently trying this?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lilly_&_hunter, Jul 1, 2008.

1. lilly_&_hunter

lilly_&_hunter Well-Known Member

Today is the 2nd day of putting Molly and Owen in their cribs for daytime naps. It's going okay. There have been tears.... but, I'm staying strong and sticking to it. I go back to work August 18th and I want them to know how to nap by then.

They've both been asleep for an hour so far this afternoon. I have the room dark and I play a lullaby CD. Before yesterday they would nap in their swings or needed to be rocked to sleep (thanks to my mom). Because of this when we were out in public and they got tired - both would scream and fight sleep.

I'm looking for their tired cues - I hold them for a minute, walk to their nursery, and set them in the crib. It only took both about 10 minutes to fall asleep.

I know this is what is best for them - good daytime naps will make happier babies (and happier parents) :)

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

From what I can tell it sounds like it's going well. They've been asleep for an hour - that's great! It also sounds like the lullaby CD and dark room are working. Mine have both been napping in cribs since 3.5 months and there are still tears for a few minutes sometimes :hug99: .

3. lilly_&_hunter

lilly_&_hunter Well-Known Member

I was wondering how long they would cry - if it's just something that they need to do in order to fall asleep. Since the crying doesn't last too long.... I can handle it.

4. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

Our kiddos have been napping in their cribs since right around 3 months. One is a great sleeper - anytime you put him down in the crib he looks around for a few minutes and then drifts off. My other guy - not so much. Luckily for me, he loves his brother, and as long as his brother is in the crib he watches his brother drift off and a few minutes later drifts off himself. I have no idea what we are going to do when they are too big to share a crib.

One of the things that was really key for us getting them down in their cribs early on was to chart when they were napping and find their natural patterns and then put them down in their cribs when they should be ready to nap, and to stick to the schedule. If we missed the early cues and they were overtired it was much harder to get them down.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We started crib napping two weeks ago and it is working so much better then letting them nap wherever they fall asleep! Mine are too nosy, they would not nap for fear of missing something.
    There are some days where they will fight the crib nap and other days they go down like champs. Stay strong and they will get better. I have found well rested babies=happier Mommy!

6. jenanne

jenanne Well-Known Member

sounds like you and they r doing great! we just started this today!! so far okay, dd naps fine, ds fought it all morning then crashed for the next nap. ..but i also cut the pacifier and that is hard for him. no crying but he just played. it will b so much better than bouncy naps in the long run. i think they like it bc they can wiggle.

7. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

Olivia is now taking most of her naps in the crib...her longer afternoon nap she just sleeps in her swing, but I need to change that to the crib too b/c we are going on vacatin at the end of July and I can't take the swing. She's really good about being put down awake. I too look for tired cues. Most she can stay up awake right now is about 1.5 hours. So, usually at 1.5 - 1.75 hours after she woke up last, I'll just lay her down (make sure she's fully fed, changed, content, etc). I too have one of those things that plays lulabies (sp) and projects on the ceiling. She LOVES it! I usually have to go in once and calm her down, but that's about it.

Later this week I plan on moving my daycare boy into my room in a PNP so Liv can have her room back...that's why she hasn't been in there for her afternoon nap b/c he's been sleeping and I like my afternoon PEACE when all the kids are alseep!! LOL!

Sounds like you are on the right track...definintely make sure the room stays dark and keep up with the white noise. My twins are 3 and they still sleep with a fan on in their room. But, yet again, I'm almost 30 and I love having the fan noise when I sleep! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!

8. carliegil

carliegil Well-Known Member

Nice work. Mine are 3 1/2 mths and we are not only transitioning to the cribs for naps but for bedtime too. All I have to say is it has been ruff especially at night. It sounds like things are going well for you so if you have any other tips or words of wisdom let me know :).