26 weeks update- large babies & weight discrepancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by julesbabies, Apr 8, 2008.

1. julesbabies

julesbabies Well-Known Member

I have my 26 week ultra sound today and the baby boys weighed 2lb2oz & 2lb9oz. So there is about a 20% discepancy between the two. Until this point, they were measuring just about exactly the same. The fluid around both seemed fine. The doctor was not too concerned but my blood sugar was high so I now have to go for the 3 hour test in two weeks. He said there could be lots of reasons for this and it could also be simply that they are different babies and genetically just one may be larger in the end. They have seperate placentas.

I checked the chart on this website and my large baby is the largest on the scale by 1oz. I hope he doesnt get too big, too fast!

I am curious to hear your responses. Should I be concerned? I wonder if this is sugar related or just large babies. I have gained 40lbs so far.

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I say the bigger the babies the better. That said, remember the u/s weights can be off too. Trevor was 2 lbs. 7 oz at 26w6d, so you can use that for comparison. Not sure about the sugar thing, but if it is somehow related to GD (not saying it is), I do believe that can make the babies larger. Hopefully someone else will have better info. for you.

3. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Since they have separate placentas and both seem to be growing I wouldn't worry yet. It's just important that they both remain on their own growth curves. Like Amy said, if you do have GD, it can affect how large your babies grow.

4. MTBx2

MTBx2 Well-Known Member

From my 20 wk U/S on, my girls measured with a 20 to 25% discrepancy. I started seeing a Peri at 22 wks to make sure they were watched carefully for TTTS since they couldn't rule out identicals even though I got PG on clomid. And my small baby was the normal sized one according to the charts. I just had a lot of monitoring, and U/S's. At 36 wks they measured on U/S at 5 lb 12 oz and 6 lb 10 oz (i think......it's been a long time.LOL) when they were born 5 days later they were 6 lbs 3 oz and 6 lb 8 oz, so only 5 oz difference in size. So U/S weights can definitly measure off, but I was glad I got the extra monitoring anyway. :) Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

5. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

u/s weights can be off!!! Mine always measured almost exactly the same. The last scan I had was at 34 weeks. 37 weeks I delivered and one was 6lbs 1 oz and the other was 4lbs 8oz - exactly what she measured at 34 weeks! Now, I don't know if the u/s was off or if she stopped growing at 34 weeks, but I would bet the u/s was off.

Also, my doctor was never concerned when they had been only a few ounces different.

6. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

We had discrepency that got worse and worse; they were both in the lowest percentiles and finally were taken by c/s at 35 wks when they fell off the charts. Anni was nearly a pound smaller than Ainsley.
    Anyway, careful monitoring is key, and it sounds like your doctor is on top of things. There really isn't much at all you can do, so just do what you know is best (rest up, drink water etc etc). :hug99:
    Like PP said, nothing to worry about just yet.

7. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I can't comment at the difference, but mine both measured 2lbs11oz at 26w and a few days. They always measured ahead and were born with average singleton sizes 12 days early. They can be off, but don't have to.