24hr Urine

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by aquickworld, Sep 15, 2010.

1. aquickworld

aquickworld Well-Known Member

Has anyone had the pleasure of doing a 24hr urine collection? I went to the OB yesterday and she ordered a 24hr urine to check for kindey damage from my 1st pregnancy. I was induced for excessive BP and she's afraid it might have caused damage and wants to know what she's dealing with if I start to head in that same direction. Just curious if anyone else had this.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup. It's just what it sounds like. They give you a jug and a "hat" and you put the hat on the toilet, collect all of your pee, put it in the jug, put the jug in the fridge (it's brown colored so you don't confuse it with the gallon of applejuice in a medical container). You start with the second pee of the morning on day one and end with the first pee of day two. Take it in to them later in the morning on day two. If you work, you'll probably want to do that over the weekend.

3. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I developed pre-e at week 21 of my pregnancy and had the pleasure of doing a 24 hr urine collection once a week until the day I delivered just before 32 weeks (so 10 or 11 total). I know, lucky me! Mine was slightly different than that of the pp. They didn't care when I started, just as long as I ended the following day at the same time I started on the previous day. They would also take blood when I returned it every time to check the other symptoms of pre-e. I always sat the jug on a small kitchen towel or something in the refrigerator, because one time the jug had a leak!!

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:bad: Oh man. :woman:

5. aquickworld

aquickworld Well-Known Member

They told me to just put it on ice in the trash can so my hubby went and got me a HUGE bag of ice :laughing: I had bible study this morning and took an ice chest and jar with me just in case I had to pee while I was there, thankfully I made it back home instead :). This pregnancy has been so differnt that my last.

6. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

I developed pre-e at 32 weeks and peed in so many buckets I can't even count them all. I never had to take them home because I was on hospital bedrest.