2 children, 1 shopping cart and 1 adult

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Feb 16, 2011.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

how do you put your LOs in the shopping cart? they no longer fit in the front together with one leg bent. i've never put one in the actual cart before.
    at 20.5 months is that ok? what should i do?

1 person likes this.
  2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I usually put one in the seat part of the cart and one on my back in an Ergo carrier. I would not trust mine at 20 months in the cart section.

3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I usually use my double stroller which has a big basket underneath for shopping. If I have to use a shopping cart and do not have a sling with me (I agree with PP, a sling, wrap or carrier for one baby is best) I put one of the babies in the cart BUT they absolutely know not to stand up under any circumstance (we practised this with a second adult at hand) and I always keep one hand on the cart, no matter how inconvenient. But I do not like doing it for safety reasons. Depending how well your LOs walk - would it be an option to have one baby in the cart's seat and one walking holding on to the cart and "helping" mom, switching the babies to take turns?

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If they can be trusted the big part of the cart is fine:) I never had to tell mine to sit down when we first put them in...they must have a fear of falling out bc they just sit...they only stand when the cart is at the checkout and I only have to tell them to sit 1x then and they do:)

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i put one in the seat & had the other one walk with me. then switched them out every once in a while. it worked well and allowed us to practice walking in public spaces with just one monkey free to take off. ;)

6. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I carried a booster seat in the car all the time.
    It was like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/First-Years----Go-Booster/dp/B0000A11ZQ/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1297872081&sr=8-16
    I could easily strap the baby into the seat, and the seat in the grocery part of the cart - strapped to the sides. This worked great for me for years.

2 people like this.
  7. shelbaz

shelbaz Well-Known Member

My twins are 16 months old, I take them shopping all the time with me, and our stroller has a tiny basket. I put one in the front part like normal, the other rides in the cart itself, usually my DD. She does stand up from time to time, but knows when we are moving to keep down. I think she prefers it back there!

It works fine, and still allows for relatively normal, quick shopping.

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Long grocery trips I push them in the stroller in front and pull the cart behind me.

Quick trips, I put them both into the big cart part, or one sitting in the seat and one in the cart. I just keep my eye on them and keep repeating "Sit down! You'll fall! Sit down!" :lol:

9. beckman445

beckman445 Well-Known Member

I always do the double stroller and pull the cart behind. The bonus is, everyone gets out of your way when they see you coming!

10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I only ever put them in the cart at costco where you can fit two kids in it and there's belts! :lol: My kids are too fearless to put them in the basket.. they'd be out and smash their head on the floor within seconds.

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Same here. I usually get the cart with the car in the front or the cart with the double seating.

12. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

I almost always push the double stroller and pull a cart behind me. My two would climb out of the cart! Sometimes, if I don't need much, I can get by with a shopping bag hooked to the handle of the stroller.

13. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

ours would love to be able to sit in the basket... but they would be the first ones to jump out!

anyway, one thing that I've done is to put their 'monkey' backpack leash on, put it one so that you loop it through the cart so that they HAVE to sit down. then the other one goes up in the regular kid spot.

good luck!

Oh and some carts - certain ones at Walmart - have a little extra room on the sides where the kids sit up top, and I was able to stick their middle leg through the 2 leg holes, but then their outer leg went on the sides of the cart... hard to explain in words, but just look at the carts at the different stores.

14. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

This is what I do. Once every week...

15. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

This is what I did. One time an older man walking toward me in an aisle started laughing when he got close to me. He told me he used to do the same thing with his twins 40 years ago. I didn't know they had double strollers that long ago.

Or I'd go shopping at 10pm after kiddos had gone to bed.

16. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I did the push the stroller/pull the cart system too. Once they turned 3, I was able to manage having one in the cart and one in the seat. Honestly though, doing that, I have the same about of room for groceries as I do just pushing the stroller alone! And my bananas and bread always end up squished.

17. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

If I need a cart for shopping, I only go places that have double seated carts. I'm amazed at those of you who can push the stroller/pull the cart. I never could work that out! If it's a light shopping day, I bought these and hook a hand basket to their stroller. When the basket is full, I'm done shopping.

18. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Until they were too big, I put their Bumbo seat in the big part and had one sit there. By the time they were too big for it, they just knew to stay seated. Even at 3 I don't have to fuss them about standing up. (Though they want to walk most of the time now.)

19. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

None of the stores around here have double shopping carts with 4 leg holes in the front. So I've never attempted to put my guys in a cart solo with one LO in the main compartment. They are horrible listeners and love to test us and stand up on the couch,chair,etc as we constantly yell at them to sit down. So I know they wouldn't do good in a big cart. But DH and I basically do a big grocery run every weekend and we take the boys with us in the double stroller. So if there are some things that I just have to have during the week I have 2 swivel hooks on our double stroller similar to the ones FBMc linked to, and I just take 2 canvas reusable shopping bags and fill those up. I can't get a ton of stuff, but I can get several essentials which is all we ever need to tide us over until the big weekend shopping trip with DH.

20. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Our wegman's switched to double up top carts right before I had twins, they have been a godsend. I usually take them shopping there and Costco. That being said, we do the one rides, one walks thing often because they like to explore the store and I am usually ok with that.

21. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

I had no idea that double carts were not the norm - every grocery store around here has an option of a cart that holds two children up front! Just wanted to chime in that on the rare occasion that we go somewhere without room for two (Target) I have tried letting one of them sit in the buggy part and it was a disaster - standing, picking on the other one, etc. Now, I either let one walk if they hold my hand or I drag dh along and use two single carts!