1st night w/o the binkies!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by naomi02, Jan 23, 2009.

1. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

We did it today!

The kids had a gift cert from Christmas we'd been saving & I thought today would be a good day to use it. So we made a special trip to town, went to lunch & then
    I let them pick out whatever toy they wanted (that fell in the price range) ..... they each picked a character toy from Little Einsteins. On the way home, we stopped
    at the pharmacy & got 6 balloons......went to a vacant field & tied their "puggies" to the balloons. They threw them up in the air, we waved "bye bye" & when they were
    just about out of sight, dd turned to me and said, "Can you cry?" I said "Why?" and she told me, "For my puggy" I think I must've made a comment earlier that I might
    cry.....dh knew this would be tougher on me than the kids!

I was so nervous tonight; we were in town so long they never got a nap today. Extra cranky & no binkies! But maybe it worked out for the best b/c they also fell asleep
    pretty quick. Nothing major; they asked a few times for them. And they were also distracted by their new toys, which they took to bed with them.

*sigh* The house is asleep, I'm off to bed & I think perhaps I will cry for the puggies. I cried when I sold their highchairs, when I got rid of the bottles & this
    is another major one for us.

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Good luck!! :clapping: I can't wait for the day until we ditch ours. I wish you lots of success, and a few tears are okay too. :hug:

3. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

:bow2: Oh, you are so brave!! I'm so not ready to do it yet...but I know it's probably time. Good job!!

4. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

Way to go! I just don't have the guts to try it. My DD is extra attached to hers.

5. MichelleL

So...how did it go? Give us hope!!

6. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

So far, so good! I'm really glad I involved them in getting rid of them......they have asked for them several times, but I just remind them "Remember, we let them go in the sky?" Last night they were pretty tired & didn't even ask for them!! I was shocked. DD just said as she was getting into bed "My puggy's up in the sky" and DS said "Yeah, with the balloons."

Naps today weren't very fun; they just wouldn't go to sleep! But I don't think that was binkie-related......they were doing the same thing last week with the binkies.

And something I didn't expect: both nights they've slept thru the night. For months now, they've been waking up in the middle of the night & would cry for their "puggies". So.....*knock on wood*......maybe I'll get more sleep now??? I woke up this morning to ds on my pillow next to me, just holding his hands on my face & smiling. It was so sweet!! Normally the 1st thing I hear in the morning is "where's my puggy?"

So, we've had a few moments but all in all it's going much better than I expected.

7. MichelleL

It sounds like it's going well!! :Clap:

8. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

Oh, I wanted to shed a tear for their puggies too! I know I will cry when my daughters give up their "bibis" ... I love when they sing themselves to sleep with it in their mouths ... the hummm hummm hummm of it ... I will cry like a little baby and be depressed for weeks just like I did when they weaned =) At least I will understand how they feel if they are upset, too. They are 18 mos and I am just not ready yet to give them up ... they are such fussy girls and throw tantrums left and right and I fear for my sanity if I didn't have the bibi! It sounds like you did well to wait until they were old enough to really understand what was going on ... that makes me feel better that we have not given bibi the boot yet! Glad you are all doing well and kudos to you!