1st Birthday cakes

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Lynn76, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

So, my twins turn 1 on the 6th of January. With both of our families live out of town, we will be having 2 birthday parties and I need to come up with 2 different types of cakes. I know what I want to make when we have the party with my family but I need to come up with something for dh side of the family. This could be next week that we celebrate which could very well be Christmas day since we have to work around schedules with that family. We have only next weekend to celebrate their 1st birthday then with that family since they are 4 hours from here and we don't know when we will see them again.

Can you show me what you all came up with for your cakes? I need some ideas. I know for one cake it's going to be a Noahs ark cake since according to my dh, our twins came Two by Two!!!

Help!

2. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

I made each of mine their own #1 (made two round cakes and just cut out the shape of the number so it wasn't huge...dh had no problem eating the scraps!). I had a big cake, too, that went more with the party theme, but I wanted each of them to have their own mini cake to destroy. They loved it. If it doesn't have to be a theme, I've seen people do cool things where they cut up the pieces into cubes and decorate a cake with letter blocks spelling out each baby's name. Hope you get some good advice!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got a Winnie the Pooh cake from the bakery for the family to share and made chocolate chip cupcakes for the kids to smash and eat.
    I have seen people do peas in a pod kind of cakes...that go with the 2 by 2 theme.

4. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I had a cake made with their picture on it.

Ist Birthday

I really could not figure out a theme and it was a big hit. Most bakeries offer this and it did not cost anything extra. For them, I just bought cupcakes. They wanted $8 each for smash cakes and I thought that was just too much money (and too much cake for them).

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I'll try to find some pics, but our first birthday cakes were a zoo theme. We had two cakes because it was their first birthday and I thought they should each have their own cake. I bought them because I don't have the first clue how to decorate a cake. One had a monkey and a giraffe, and one had an elephant. I'll try to find and post some pics. They turned out really cute!

6. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

A lady I know made this cake for our girls' first birthday. It was the design off of our plates/napkins. The design came in boy colors also.

7. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

I didn't go all out. I kept things really simple since money is tight. I made box cakes. One chocolate with 3 layers with choc icing. The other was white cake with 3 layers with raspberry jam filling and white icing.
    The 4th layer of choc I froze. The 4th layer of white I used cookie cutters & made 2 mini cakes for them. I used their fav fruit babyfood jar for filling & icing. I was really scared of food allergies,etc, at the time.

I figured with this economy and the fact they won't know what the cake looked like or tasted like, then I could keep it simple this year. Just fastforward a few years and we'll see!

8. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. I think they each need their own smash cakes and then a cake for the adults. I like the idea of making the number 1 out of 2 round cakes so they each have one.

Great ideas! I have something to work off of now!

9. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I decorate cakes. For their first birthday we did an Elmo theme, and I made them each their own individual cakes and I also had a big cake.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/jaznsusan/cakes/rs101_0029.jpg