17.5 weeks and blood pressure is rising

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by FormerNoCalGirl, Jun 14, 2011.

1. FormerNoCalGirl

FormerNoCalGirl Well-Known Member

I am going to be 18 weeks on Friday and both babies are doing well. Heard some very strong heartbeats yesterday and am going in in two weeks for our big ultrasound to determine gender. We are DYING to know. One thing that did come up in my appointment is that my blood pressure is a little high....134/86. Usually I'm practically dead my blood pressure is so low. When I went in a 9 weeks it was 111/62. Anyone have experience with high blood pressure early on. My doctor didn't seem too concerned, but I want to do everything I can to keep it down so it doesn't become a problem. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Did they try to take it after the appointment as well? Sometimes the very act of getting to the appointment and walking in would raise mine but it would level off after I'd been sitting or laying down awhile.

3. FormerNoCalGirl

You know they said they were going to, but they didn't end up doing it. My pulse and oxygen levels were normal, as were my sugars and proteins.

4. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My OB always took it 3 times, as the first time, for most people, it is usually high. Yout body gets all worked up at the thought of getting your pressure taken. My first reading was always high and my last normal

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Yep, I have the same problem. I agree with both cheezwhiz24 and slipper. Another thing I did was buy a blood pressure monitor and I check mine at home. It has always been fine at home.

6. FormerNoCalGirl

Thanks Ladies! I think I'll take your advice and get a monitor for home. I always get a little nervous before my doctor's appointment and I hadn't seen/heard the babies in over a month, so I was really anxious to know that everything was ok. I bet after I heard their heartbeats on the monitor I would have been ok.

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Something I used to do (although it's probably not good for you :blush: ) is forcibly relax myself when they were doing my BP. I'd take deep, slow breaths, quiet my mind and visualize my BP going down. My BP was only high once. But I'm not sure if you 'should' do it.