12 month old can open doors already

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by AmberG, Jan 13, 2010.

1. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I can't believe my 12 month old DD has started opening doors! (She is in the 70th percentile for height). I am worried because now she can access the bathroom and our bedroom. I sometimes leave her unattended for a couple of minutes while I put DS down for a nap. I'm not sure what to do now. We have the lever type door handles. I saw a couple of kinds of safety locks online, but the reviews are all mediocre. Any suggestions on locks or how else to keep her out?

2. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I had some very determined and early wanderers. I used flip locks on the doors that open into the room (like the front door and closets) and used the door knob lock and pick keys stashed up on the door frames for the bathrooms and bedrooms. It was a royal pain but still worth the hassle to avoid catastrophic incidents. I'm currently down to locking only the office and my bedroom sometimes and we're close to being done altogether with it. It's a long learning process for them but at 12 months, there is little chance of her having impulse control or a memory longer than 30 seconds so I'd go ahead and start putting up locks. FWIW, you could also use the hook and eye style closers but my husband didn't want holes in the door moldings if we could avoid it and I worried that the hollow-core doors would tear out with the force of two toddlers.

3. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

We have the lever-type knobs on all of our interior doors. Like you, I was skeptical about the safety locks made for this type of handle based upon the number of negative online reviews. HOWEVER, we were able to use the Safety First brand on a few of the doors...the catch is that the door has to open outward. If your doors open inward, the safety lock may be too large to pass by the door frame. We couldn't put a lock on our bathroom door for this reason :(

I bought ours at Toys R Us but I think I have seen them online, too. GL!

4. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

We use the safety first ones also. They work well for us.

Good luck with your early wnaderer :) I've had two of them, and the stress can be crazy sometimes. You never know what new things they are going to get into.