11 month old not crawling?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by MistyP, Jan 18, 2012.

1. MistyP

MistyP Well-Known Member

My twins are 11 months old now. DS has always been about a month or so behind DD developmentally but he still is not crawling yet. He will roll EVERYWHERE! He will sit up but can't get to a sitting position by himself, nor does it try. I got him a jumperoo hoping that it would help increase his leg strength. She has been crawling everywhere for awhile now, will pull to standing and will take a few steps holding on. She loves crawling up the stairs!

Should I be concerned??? They were 36 weeks at birth.....

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Is he chunky?? Sometimes babies with more rolls have more trouble crawling and sitting up, because they have so much extra weight to carry around ;) If I remember right, crawling isn't a big deal, especially since he's rolling everywhere. He may just skip crawling and start cruising after he turns a year old. It doesn't hurt to check with your pedi, but he's probably just happy rolling around everywhere right now ;)

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Danielle is right-crawling isn't technically considered a developmental milestone. Check with his doc, but I don't think you need to be concerned.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree. My DS did not crawl until sometime during his 11th month. I did call EI, only because the way he was getting around was pulling himself around using just his arms and not his legs. Turned out he checked out okay (and by the time they came for the evaluation, the little bugger was crawling).

5. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

my daughter didn't start crawling until she pulled up and cruised!

6. MistyP

MistyP Well-Known Member

Thanks! He is around 20 lbs. He is pudgy for my babies =) But they older girls were always about 5% on weight and 90% on height! :rolleyes:

7. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

My son Max didn't really crawl that much either. Vanessa crawled long before him. He was rolling over everywhere and he was crawling army style, pulling with his arms, then all of a sudden he starting to pull up on furniture. I think he crawled for few weeks and then he started walking. He was around 11 months when he started crawling. I was never worried. He seemed more laid back than Vanessa and not as agitated. Two weeks after he started walking he started running everywhere. Now, at 16 months, he's more trouble than her, and she's not a well behaved baby either :). They climb on furniture and pull things, and get into all sorts of trouble. Trust me, 4 to 6 months from now, you will miss the times when you put him in a jumperoo :) and he was happy to be still. Max was also a chubby baby, and now he's over 30 #.

8. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We have a niece who didn't crawl at all. She walked around 14 months, and that was that. She hasn't had any other problems - very bright and well-adjusted and no physical problems and she is almost 12 now.

9. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Generally the peditricians want to see some sort of mobility by 1 year old - could be crawling, combat crawling, scooting in sitting, rolling, walking.

You can work on learning to get into sitting by have him sit and reach for toys to the side beyond his reach to the left so his left hand supports on the floor and the right hand gets the toy and come back up (sort of walking himself up with his hands). Keep moving the toy further away so he is almost to hands and knees.