10 months old: milk and solid

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by w101ttd, Feb 7, 2011.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

My twins are 10 month old (8.5 months adjusted). the past 1.5 months, they have been refusing their solid only eating like 5oz/day, but drinking like 28-32oz of milk/day. They eat some finger food (banana, orange, pancake,..) but not enough though. i feel like we stepped 1 huge step back on solid. their feeding schedule has driven me nuts ( 5 6oz bottles and 3 meals but not really eating anything). So I just changed 5 6oz bottle to 4 8z bottle just like that. And we did well today. They drank 28oz each and ate still 5oz of solid each :gah: i dont know how to make them eat solid better though. My husband says if we cut out 1 bottle, they will eat more solid. But i want them to do it themselves. I dont want to force them to do it. I have no problem with them drinking milk only lol, but i also like them to be able to eat normal food like we do at 1 yr old. :headbang: feeding them solid is so so tough now, we do everything (toys, dancing, singing,..) but they only eat so little then done (1/2 container). What would you do? should I just not to care much about solid and keep offering them milk?

I think they are teething but im not 100% sure. they used to love brushing theit teeth. My DD even did brush her bottom teeth herself But the past 3 weeks, gosh they scream scream and fight at brushing teeth time. We brush their teeth before nap time and bed time, they drool, but I checked their gums are not red or swelling at all.

I dont worry about their weight gain. the whole solid feeding drives me nuts. Im at the point i just want to give them bottles and no solid ( now every feeding, half of solid food ends up on the floor or got dumped in the sink) :headbang:

TIA!!!

2. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

If drinking isn't a problem, I'd just offer solids right before the bottles. That way they are hungry and might eat more. The best advice I ever heard about feeding babies/children is that it's our job as parents to provide healthy foods, it's their job as children to decide how much. You offer, they eat or don't. Babies won't starve themselves.

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I think you have room to drop your milk back a little bit - I think I remember our pedi saying they should have 16-24 oz. at that age. I would either cut out a bottle, or cut each bottle back by an 1-1.5 oz (so 6.5-7 oz. per bottle). If you do that, they may be hungrier and make the difference up with solids. Also, like the pp said, try giving them their solids before bottles. Maybe if you post what your typical day is like, we can give you some more ideas?

4. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Here is our schedule:

730: wake up. we have to wake them up if not they would sleep until 9-10!!!
    8: first bottles (7-8oz)
    930: breakfast ( 1/2 banana or some orange, only 1-1.5 tbs oatmeal mixed with ebm), down for nap: some days they dont want their breakfsat they just go straight back to bed!!! naps 1.5-2 hrs!!!
    12: lunch (1/2 half banana/each or some orange but they dont eat alot just couple bites, 1 tbs oatmeal/each and share 1/2 container of baby food like sweet potato, mac and cheese) 12:15 bottles 8 oz
    12:30 naps 3 hrs!
    4: 1/2 half banana/each or some orange but they dont eat alot just couple bites, 1 tbs oatmeal/each and share 1/2 container of baby food like sweet potato, mac and cheese
    4:30 bottles 8 oz
    730: some days if they skip their breakfast, we offer some food this time. And they always awlays want their 30 mins cat naps this time. this drive me nuts
    8-830: last bottles 8 oz, then bath
    9-930: send to bed. but they wont go down until 930

I work full time. Right now, my DH stays home and takes care of them. We are trying to work out better feeding and sleeping schedules. I would love them to eat more and to go to bed early like 8-830. we used to have very good schedules. but it kept getting so flex than now its a mess!!!

oh after months of trying to make them eat/drink/sleep the way I wanted, i always ended up lossing the battles. so i let them drive their own schedules. And this is how it ended up :laughing:
    TIA!