10 months and not crawling

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by EOMommy, Apr 4, 2009.

1. EOMommy

EOMommy Well-Known Member

Ive posted before about my babies being in occupational and physical therapy. They just turned 10 months and are all caught up in the fine motor. Basically now we're just waiting for them to get the strength to pull themselves up on stuff, and crawl.

DD doesn't even like standing, period. She side sits beautifully (too good the therapist says) and she can reach just about anything. She's like gumby! She always looks like she's about to tak off but doesn't. We help her so she gets the idea, but so far a no go.
    She cannot get on her hands and knees from a tummy position.

DS loves to stand, but cant pull himself up on anything. He can't side sit worth a darn but he's much stronger than DD and can rock on his hands and knees but only if we get him in that position.

Both of their therapists aren't concerned and said its a strength issue and it will come in time. I am getting so impatient when every baby around me is just about to start walking. I hate to see I'm "embarassed" because I'm NOT, I love my kids...but its more of a "what am I doing wrong" type of embarassment.

Is anyone else going through the same thing? My kids were born at 37.5 wks so its not like they were early ... DD was 6 lbs 9 oz and DS was 4 lbs 14 oz...

2. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Max just started to crawl this week and he is starting to sit up about 3/4 of the way. Lily has been crawling and sitting for about 3 weeks. I think sometimes it just happens at their own pace. I know it is hard not to worry about milestones. We haven't had any pulling up yet either, but then you hear stories of "my baby is walking at 6 months". I just try not to compare every baby is different.

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Evan is a lazy baby. He took his time in doing everything. He prefers not to crawl on his hands/knees. He still does the army crawl most of the time. I'd have to look it up, but at 10 months I'm sure he wasn't crawling yet either. It'll come. :hug: It is hard to watch other babies do what you think yours should be doing. Give it time... they'll be running in opposite directions and you'll be trying to keep up with them.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I know I was worried when my DS was not crawling by 10 months...he started crawling at 10.5 months and did not take first hesitant steps until 12 months and did not become a prolific walker until 14 months. Every baby is different, hang in there. You are doing great Momma!

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

You are not doing anything wrong and you have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. Every baby does things differently and the great thing is that you already have EI involved. I would trust them and when they say they just need time, I would agree. That's all it will take and just like Jackie said, soon they will be running in different directions and you will wonder where these days have gone.

6. 2B2G

2B2G Well-Known Member

My girls were born at 36 weeks and are about 10.5 months now. 1 (the littlest at birth) is sort of getting somewhere on her hands and knees. It isn't pretty but she can move. The larger girl is still just rocking. Every baby is different. My first son never crawled but walked at 10 months. DS2 was a great crawler, late walker. I think your kiddos are fine. Just keep giving them lots of floor time with favorite toys just out of reach.

7. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

One of mine crawled and then cruised at 8 months. The other didn't crawl until 10 months, and cruised at 11 months. The one that didn't crawl until later, actually took his first steps a week before his brother. The one that crawled early, cruised for 4 1/2 months! All children are different, and espcially with a PT and OT telling you they are fine, they really are! There are many children with no issues at all who don't walk until 18 months! Neither of my friends' singletons did, and they never had any services. It will come, you just need to be patient.

8. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

My boys are 13 months & STILL not crawling. They weren't premi either. We are going through EI, but the PT told us that crawling isn't even considered a milestone and some babies never do it! I still think they have plenty of time so put your mind at ease & before you know it, they'll be taking off!

9. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(EOMommy @ Apr 5 2009, 02:22 AM) [snapback]1259232[/snapback]
    Ive posted before about my babies being in occupational and physical therapy. They just turned 10 months and are all caught up in the fine motor. Basically now we're just waiting for them to get the strength to pull themselves up on stuff, and crawl.

DD doesn't even like standing, period. She side sits beautifully (too good the therapist says) and she can reach just about anything. She's like gumby! She always looks like she's about to tak off but doesn't. We help her so she gets the idea, but so far a no go.
    She cannot get on her hands and knees from a tummy position.

DS loves to stand, but cant pull himself up on anything. He can't side sit worth a darn but he's much stronger than DD and can rock on his hands and knees but only if we get him in that position.

Both of their therapists aren't concerned and said its a strength issue and it will come in time. I am getting so impatient when every baby around me is just about to start walking. I hate to see I'm "embarassed" because I'm NOT, I love my kids...but its more of a "what am I doing wrong" type of embarassment.

Is anyone else going through the same thing? My kids were born at 37.5 wks so its not like they were early ... DD was 6 lbs 9 oz and DS was 4 lbs 14 oz...

Our twins sound like they´re at the same stage developmentally. Mine were born at 37w3d so we´re close!

My DD is also a good sitter and can reach everything she needs. Like your DD she has no interest in crawling either and she doesnt like being face down. When we give her tummy time, she just rolls herself onto her back! Dont worry, it will come.

DS can crawl and can sit himself up from tummy position. He gets on his knees and hands as he wants to stand but hasnt quite got there. If he has something to grab hold of, he can pull himself to a standing position but we dont let them roam the house as we havent baby proofed yet.

Neither of mine has any teeth yet either! DOnt worry, you´re doing nothing wrong. They will get there when they are good and ready so dont worry! :)

10. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

My boys didn't crawl until the end of 10 months and then were cruising at a year. They didn't start walking though until 14/15 months. Every child is different.

11. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

One of my girls did not crawl until she was almost a year and they both walked at 16mo, and now they run. Trust me you don't want crawlers or walkers, its exhausting chasing them! ;)

12. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

My twinnies were born full term, DD crawled at 6 months and DS not until 10.5 months. DD walked at 11 months and DS not until 16.5 months. Now at 18 months you can't tell any difference between them at all, they both run and climb like crazy. There is a huge range of 'normal' and 10 months is well within that range.

13. EOMommy

Thanks everyone for the strength to just be PATIENT! It's hard!!! I'm glad to know there's such a wide range of "normal".

14. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

My girls are 11months almost 12 months and only one is crawling/crusing/ we have a OT and Resource Teacher coming in weekly to work on my Eve (non crawler) she is sitting up but cant get into a sitting postion herself; she HATES tummy time with a passion so great and a very stubborn will to NOT do it; we are working on this the most--she will stand and pivot and is most happiest this way-it can take months til she is able to do anymore -and i know its super hard not to compare to other babies same age doing everything:( She is also very small and i get that alot-its very frustating to have one so active and one not active "normal" size-

15. EOMommy

TWINCESSES? thats too cute :)