10 month suddenly hates baths!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Andi German, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

Max has always loved his baths and loves swimming. But suddenly for the past 3 nights he has screamed at bath times. Don't understand this little guy? Anyone experience the same thing? Shall this phase pass too?

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

How are you giving the bath? My girls did this around 10 months when I still had them in their bath seats. Once I set them free in the bath tub they have been much, much happier. I bought this and this(it covers the entire bottom of the tub) and that helped alleviate my worries of the dangers in the tub. GL!!

3. Andi German

QUOTE(Kyrstyn @ Nov 23 2008, 11:17 AM) [snapback]1083129[/snapback]
    How are you giving the bath? My girls did this around 10 months when I still had them in their bath seats. Once I set them free in the bath tub they have been much, much happier. I bought this and this(it covers the entire bottom of the tub) and that helped alleviate my worries of the dangers in the tub. GL!!

They have been out of bath seats since 6 months old - crawling around and standing up and splashing around - all 3 of them together!

4. Andi German

oooooo great bath bumpers! Never seen those!

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have one who sometimes doesn't like the tub. Is he tired or hungry when you put him in the tub? Amelia only likes baths when she's in a good mood and that started around 10 months old. And she doesn't like it when I wash her hair, doesn't want the water on her face. Lily is different, if she's in a bad mood putting her in the tub will cheer her up, but not Amelia.

6. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

My dd hit this stage at about 8months. She used to love baths, but all of the sudden everytime we put her in the bathtub she would scream, so we went from her having 15min fun baths, to the one minute scream-bath! I find if she is tired to start off with the crying starts very quickly in the bath. Also, she likes to stand in the bathtub, and now that we let her do that a bit, she is happier - but still even two months later bath time for her only lasts about 5minutes! Still haven't quite figured out why she screams in the bathtub - but, I am glad to know that she isn't the only one!

7. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

Could anything have happened that traumatized him in the tub? I ask this because my Ben recently went through this. We were staying at my parents' house, and someone flushed the toilet while DH was bathing Ben in the other bathroom. The water turned scalding hot in an instant... Ben wasn't really hurt, but he was shocked, and, for the next week or two, he screamed at bathtime!

8. Little June Bug

Little June Bug Well-Known Member

My little guy did this and nothing apparent triggered it. He would scream and refuse to get in - acting terrified. So for several weeks I just sponge bathed him and when he started to get over it, I would let him play in the tub with all new tub toys and finger paint (soap) and gradually he was okay. He's 3.5 today and still does not love his tub but we make it fun and quick. I know now that he hates any water in his face and if it touches his ears he gets upset (but he loves swimming in the public pool) so he hates bath water in his face basically. He's a touchy and sensitive child. You gotta love them tho! :)

9. Andi German

Thanks for replies - always good to know they are not the only one! And Max is not the sensitive one! He's the one that throws himself in the water! No trigger as far as I know but will take it steady and see if I can get him to love his baths again.