Diet Soda

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by nepolm, May 8, 2008.

1. nepolm

nepolm Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere that diet soda was discouraged during BF because of the artificial sweeteners. Anyone know if this is true? I know there are some negative studies concerning Nutrasweet in lab rats, but what about Splenda?

Thanks!

2. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

Actually it's the aspartame that is so terrible for you. I could go on and on, but in summary it's one of the worst things to put into your body. However, I'm not sure if it gets into the breastmilk. Splenda is sugar and chlorine, can't be good and yeah, nutrasweet not much better.

3. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Splenda is supposedly safe during pregnancy, because it does not cross the placenta. And, it's very poorly absorbed in the GI tract, so the amount excreted in breastmilk is probably miniscule. I don't think there have been any official studies....

4. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

splenda sweetened options are the best route as far as artificial sweetners go. But did you know there are now studies that are showing that those diet sweetners actually cause people to NOT lose weight, that sugar in appropriate quantities is far better if you want to stay trim :)

5. clkafka

clkafka Well-Known Member

QUOTE(excitedk @ May 10 2008, 04:04 PM) [snapback]766181[/snapback]
    But did you know there are now studies that are showing that those diet sweetners actually cause people to NOT lose weight, that sugar in appropriate quantities is far better if you want to stay trim :)

For sure!

I don't drink soda, but I know in some other counties they use Stevia to sweeten soda, but it will probably never happen in the US.

6. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

It's definitely not good for me, and probably not for my girls, but it's one of my few vices. I drink one can of diet a day. Chocolate, on the other hand, is a real issue... <sigh>

7. clkafka

clkafka Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Beth*J @ May 10 2008, 10:23 PM) [snapback]766570[/snapback]
    Chocolate, on the other hand, is a real issue... <sigh>

Me Too!! and peanut butter! But at least we have some healthy options in those categories, right? At least that is what I tell myself.... it is good for you Chirsty. :lol:

8. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

i'm one of those people that avoids it all together. while sugar might not be the best thing in the world for you, at least it's been around long enough to know it's long term effects. not so for artificial sweeteners of any kind.

i'm not sure if it gets into bm, but it's sure not good for your overall health! good luck quitting it if you can:).

~~jl

9. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

I have no idea about safety, but here's an interesting article I read about artificial sweeteners recently. An excerpt:

Past research suggests that the brain thinks that sweetness is a sign of highly calorific food. Dr Swithers and Dr Davidson argue that artificial sweeteners confuse things. After repeated exposure to sweeteners, the brain forgets the connection and thus fails to stop the animal eating at an appropriate point.

10. Ckarl

Ckarl Member

After I gave birth to children, I took care of myself very carefully and began to actively engage in sports to tighten my body. I also didn’t forget about nutrition, because it plays a major role, if you follow this daily, you can quickly resume and return to the form before childbirth.

11. Sarach

Sarach Active Member

I have been involved in sports for over five years. And I want to note that just sports every day and exhausting your body will not bring the desired result if you do not follow a special diet. I recommend that you listen to this podcast unimeal before after in order to clearly understand where you should start your weight loss, where exactly this girl started and what she achieved by combining sports and proper nutrition. Try to start doing what she does and I assure you that you will definitely see results!