Found a church preschool!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by katzmeaow, Sep 6, 2010.

1. katzmeaow

katzmeaow Well-Known Member

After much searching we finally found a preschool that seems to fit what we are looking for. They will go Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:30 to 12:30, so not too long to over stimualte them. We went to see the school and meet the teachers and played in the playground for a while. After a short while of being inside and outside, DD clung to me and wanted mommy to hold her hand the whole time. Now I'm worried that as soon as I leave her on the first day, she's going to freak out and start crying for me. Of course, my husband won't be able to be there, so it's just me. I know it may sound silly, but I'm actually stressing out about leaving them somewhere and not seeing what goes on and how they will handle being with strangers. There is an orientation night, but one will seeing everyone one time before the big day make a difference? I wanted this so much for them, but now I'm the baby here! Please share any stories you have of your first day or two of preschool. I need some reassurance!

2. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

Mine also go to a church preschool and today was their first day. They will also go Tuesday and Thursdays. Mine are almost 2 years old, but I just got back from dropping them off and they literally just walked right in the room, sat down and started playing with a couple of puzzles. They never even looked up for me. We also go to church here though, so they are used to being there. It was different teachers and kids though, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I agree, that it's probably much harder on the mom than the kids! They will be fine, enjoy your free time!

3. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

they WILL cry for a while - its for YOUR benefit...guaranteed as soon as you leave they'll be fine! The teachers are used to this and will help with the transition...mine cried for the first few weeks and now they run in, wash their hands and get ready for breakfast without blinking an eye!

4. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

I completely get what you are feeling. Mine are 3 and I still don't like to leave them with anyone other than family. However, we did just start a church "preschool" or rather MDO. They go M/W from 9-1. I think it will be good for them (to be around kids their own age) and REALLY good for me (I need the break!). They will probably cry at first, but they will get into the groove of things. AND...it is only 2 mornings a week. I think it is a good start...preparing them for full-time preschool and/or kindergarten.

5. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I'm going through the same thing. I wanted soo badly to sign mine up and now I did and they start NEXT WEEK (Tues and Thurs 6 hrs per day) and I am FREAKING and wanting to back out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I'm feeling serious guilt over it. I feel like I should not be putting them in there! They do NOT want to go etc.

UGH. HELP HELP!!

Moms with experience help the chickens out!

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You're just going to have to do it. The more you dread it, the more they will dread it. They'll probably have fun. :D

1 person likes this.
  7. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

:good:

8. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

I went through the same thing back in June. I have NEVER dropped them off anywhere not even family. My girls go during the same time ~8:30 to ~11:30. It took 3 or 4 drop offs for one DD to not cry, she actually cried for a while according to the teacher. But as my DH said thats part of their job, dealing with 2-3 yr olds crying is no big deal to them; its hard for us. They still get a bit clingy when I leave sometimes but the teachers are great distractors and know the drill. You will LOVE the few hours of free time that will feel more like 3 minutes :) GL!

9. Brooklyne

Brooklyne Well-Known Member

I'm dealing with the same issue. It's for their own good that they get more independent and for our own good too in many ways. I feel anxious like mine are going to get kicked out of the program - LOL! I can see an amazing improvement in them already, but they still need mommy.

10. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

People, I like want to back out. I'm having anxiety all over the place here. I don't know what I'm going to do. I am STiLL signed up for MOPS on Tuesdays cuz I have this feeling we'll last one day and I will freak out and cancel. LOL.

OH MAN.

11. paulacraft1

paulacraft1 Well-Known Member

I hope this will help. My neighbor has 2 girls, 1 just started Kindergarten, never in preschool, never with anyone but mom.....she is crying EVERYDAY! And not eating lunch! She has been there a week! Unless you want this situation, put them in and get it over with now. Not to be harsh. I am going through the same thing. My twins just started preschool this week, this past Tuesday. And although they have been with a nanny the past 2 years while I teach in an elementary school, this is still VERY hard for all of us. They are used to having mommy home all summer and pretty much are with me constantly. My daughter had orientation at a church preschool Wed and did great but was only away from me for 30 minutes of that.....then started 9:30 to 12:30 the very next day and cried so hard she puked! I almost couldn't bring her the second day but did and she did better, still cried but didn't puke. I'm hoping by the end of next week she'll be ok. I know she enjoys it and has a good time, she never says she doesn't want to go and was excited all summer to go.....my son is doing the same......cried the first few day and now is fine, but he is in a different school as he has to go to a special ed class.....hang in there, I'm sure it has to get easier and I remind myself everyday this is to prevent what my neighbor is going through when it comes time for Kindergarten!

1 person likes this.
  12. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

My older girls went to a church preschool. I was SO NERVOUS for our first daughter (who is now 7). She walked in and never looked back! No problems at all! My next daughter (who is now 5) was a clingier, but the teachers are SO used to dealing with this issue that they did a super job helping her (and all the children) to transition into this time of being separated from Mom and Dad. I look at it like transition baby steps....practice for kindergarten. We did 2 mornings preschool when they were three years old and then 3 morning when they were 4 years old. And now at 5 years old she just started full day kindergarten...I cannot imagine how much harder it would have been for her (and ME!!) if she didn't have these past 2 years of going to preschool. She is still a little clingy, but I imagine it would be much worse if she had never been away from us. I know that when our twins (19 months) are ready for preschool it will be so hard to send our little babies, but I totally plan on doing it, because I see how great it was for my older children. We love our preschool and I feel like it really helped them grow into the kids they are today. So as hard as it is to let go, I encourage you to give it a try! Of course it will be hard....you're the mom....it's very natural!!!!!!! If you think they are ready and you think (mostly) you're ready, then go for it! Don't let your apprehension hold you back. HOWEVER, if you really, really are losing sleep over it or are having serious reservations about their readiness, it couldn't hurt to wait until they are a little older. It's not the end of the world, either way. You can't make the wrong decision!!!!! So, hope that's not too much of a mixed message, but I know that I get myself all worked up about things sometimes...like if I'm doing the right thing for the kids in whatever situation and my peditrician usually assures me...that there's not a right way to do it or a wrong way to do it in most situations like these...you love your kids and they are going to be ok, either way!

Shannon

13. alimanach

alimanach Member

Children in such kindergartens are calmer and more friendly, so it seems to me that your child will be enveloped in such childlike care and kindness. This will allow him to trust the world and the surrounding team, which is why I think you have nothing to worry about. Religion helps you find yourself and the right path in this life, so if your little one cannot relax, you can turn to https://firstchurchlove.com for advice and help in adapting. Using the example of my family, I can note how a team united by one spiritual attitude can affect our moral state.