Advice

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Lynsey Fowler, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Lynsey Fowler

Lynsey Fowler New Member

Can anybody help me with this? I found out it was a twin pregnancy with one measuring 8wk and 5days while the other was half the size no heartbeat, I know they develop heartbeat between 6-8wk but been told by the scan lady that it was a non viable but confirmed 2 foetuses, I've to go for another scan 8th June, can anyone advise me if been in same situation please

2. redenlomas

redenlomas Member

The situation you described is indeed difficult and emotional. A twin pregnancy where one fetus has a heartbeat and is measuring appropriately while the other does not have a heartbeat and is smaller might be referred to as a "vanishing twin" or "twin pregnancy loss." This occurs when one of the fetuses stops developing and is eventually reabsorbed by the mother's body.

It's positive that the healthcare provider confirmed the presence of two fetuses during the initial scan, but the lack of heartbeat and smaller size in one of the fetuses may indicate that it's not viable. In some cases, the smaller twin might not continue to develop, while the other twin can still have a healthy pregnancy.