Nail Clipping Wrestling Match

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by SweetpeaG, Jul 15, 2007.

1. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

Boy I have lots of questions today...

I dread clipping the boys nails because it is a full-blown wrestling/screaming match. With them kicking and flailing I can't keep their hands still long enough to (safely) get in a clip...so...it....takes...FOREVER.

I've tried singing, doing it with a video on, etc. nothing seems to work. Any tips from folks with manicure-hating kiddos?

2. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I tell them its mani and pedi time...LOL Ill do my nails first and paint my toes then tell they its their turn and they cant wait....

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Siri, my DD does this. Son will sit still for the most part and likes the attention of it. My DD will let ANYONE else do her nails except me! So, I ask the babysitter to try or DH to try and they usually can get results!!

Also, I'll ask her which nail can I make pretty (boys may need different incentive than pretty) and she'll give me one from each hand and that's it, but it's something! See if hubby can do it! Could make a difference if they see him do it and then he does theirs or something.... I feel your pain!

4. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Do it while they are in their car seats...they can't move and we sing or watch a video...sometimes it works...othertimes I make a HUGE deal over who gets to go first and that sometimes works too...

5. cantwait2bmom

cantwait2bmom Well-Known Member

I find it way easier to trim their toenails while they're sitting in their highchairs, that way they can't really fight me. As for their fingernails, that's a different story. I try to entertain them by having them watch something they like on TV and then I just do it as fast as I can. But sometimes it is an all-out wrestling match. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Holly

6. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, same problem here. I pick a really fun, forbidden toy (usually my cell phone or the cordless phone), something they aren't usually allowed to play with. I sit with one of them on my lap, facing away from me, and have DH engage them with the cell phone or a book they really like. We always have music on when doing this because they really love music. Distraction is the key in our house. And toes are so much worse than fingernails! Ugh! They must be ticklish or something.

Michelle

7. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I still have to wait till they are asleep! :( Sometimes dd will hold still if she's lying on the changing table & I talk to her the whole time, telling her how "pretty" her fingers are going to be. But I'm so afraid of slipping & clipping too far!

8. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

The nails do not seem to be a problem- I just turn on a movie. But they HATE getting their toe's done so I do it when they are alsleep. I started this from day 1 so they really do not wake up at all still at almost 2 1/2.

9. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Our kids are odd in that they love to get their nails/toe nails cut. They actually fight over who goes first. I think distracting them with a video might help.

10. hayes

hayes Member

I have the same problem wrestling them down. i've found that if I wait until right before or after a nap they are a little easier to manage. I've also found this nail clipper (http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=533921&itemNumber=13090) has a magnifier glass on it which makes it a little easier to see the nail and get it done faster. It's only $5 and I think I got mine at BRU.

11. steph-andy

steph-andy Well-Known Member

Just another thing our kiddos have in common! If you have a couple of dogs, I found something that works like a charm. I take them in the backyard, and as soon as the dogs start to wrestle, I grad a girl and start clipping. They are so amused/distracted by the dogs that they don't even realize what I am doing...until I get to the toes, anyway. One of the few things they got from me is ticklish feet! Stephanie

12. 2peasNApod

2peasNApod Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat...I sing the wheels on the bus song, that's my only trick and I can usually get through it twice without them moving so I sing SLOWWWWWLY, LOL! :rolleyes:

13. Holly Wiebe

Holly Wiebe Well-Known Member

OK, don't know if I am the only one on this, but I haven't cut their fingernails or toenails yet! They seem to just wear down by themselves!

Holly

14. swiertel

swiertel Well-Known Member

I don't clip either since I cut Ella's finger when she was a newborn. That thing scares me to death! I just file, but it's still a wresting match! It's not easy, especially when you have to mutiply it by 2 just like everthing else in our lives!

15. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Holly Wiebe @ Jul 17 2007, 06:38 AM) [snapback]334108[/snapback]
    OK, don't know if I am the only one on this, but I haven't cut their fingernails or toenails yet! They seem to just wear down by themselves!

Holly

Really?

My sons toes get SO bad if I don't cut them!! LOL

16. TTTSMiracleMom

TTTSMiracleMom Well-Known Member

I was terrified of clipping the tips of their fingers off, too, so I started biting their finger nails. (Sounds a little gross, huh?) I just nibble on the edge until I get a small break, then run a nail along the break across the nail. Pain free, no chance of removing fingertips. I also did their toenails while they were asleep. These days, at 2-1/2, they love to get their nails clipped and will sit perfectly happy while it's done.

17. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Holly Wiebe @ Jul 17 2007, 01:38 PM) [snapback]334108[/snapback]

That's amazing! Mine get long dagger-like nails if I don't cut them. Did you buy your kids a scratching post? :lol:

We usually have the wrestling match too. I try to get them when they're sleepy (right before a nap, but not so close that they get all wound up again if it does turn into a screaming fit).

The last time I did it, Amy was intensely curious about the nail clipper, which was good because she didn't have a fit, but was also tricky because she kept trying to grab it out of my hand. But I was able to get through it by talking to her nonstop about what I was doing, so she felt like she was watching a performance or something.

With Sarah, we pretty much have to pin her down. Sometimes it takes two people. :blink: Poor Sarah just does not like being messed with -- sunscreen, combing hair, clipping nails, anything.

18. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cantwait2bmom @ Jul 16 2007, 09:03 AM) [snapback]332764[/snapback]
    I find it way easier to trim their toenails while they're sitting in their highchairs, that way they can't really fight me.

This is a great suggestion, Holly, thanks. I think I'll try it b/c I really can't get their toes done wrestling match or not. :huh:

QUOTE(steph-andy @ Jul 16 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]333847[/snapback]
    Just another thing our kiddos have in common! If you have a couple of dogs, I found something that works like a charm. I take them in the backyard, and as soon as the dogs start to wrestle, I grad a girl and start clipping. They are so amused/distracted by the dogs that they don't even realize what I am doing...until I get to the toes, anyway. One of the few things they got from me is ticklish feet! Stephanie

I thought of this post while I was at Target and we strolled passed the wall of TVs today. The kids were just dumbfounded. Unfortunately I don't think Target or any of their patrons would appreciate me clipping my kids nails in their aisles! :laughing: Since we don't have dogs I'll have to find another distraction? Ooh, we do have a dog park...their sure to have some wrestling dogs.

QUOTE(Minette @ Jul 17 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]334784[/snapback]
    That's amazing! Mine get long dagger-like nails if I don't cut them. Did you buy your kids a scratching post? :lol:

Alden, have I told you how much I ADORE your sense of humor! Hands-down, this is my Minette quote of the week! Thanks for the chuckle! :laughing:

19. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

I used to give the girls a marshmallow. That was the only time they got one. They are fine with clipping now.

20. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

I just started doing the highchair routine for toes the other day. Works wonders because they can't really see what I'm doing! :)

Fingers. I do them right after a nap, sing to them and hope that I can cut the worst offenders. I think I clip fingernails about everyday. I never get all fingers in one sitting.

21. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

The high chair thing - what a great idea. I have one who will sit for nail trimming, and one who howls so the neighbors hear when I try. But I tried the high chair tonight, and wow! all 10 nails done at one time instead of taking 10 days (one each day) like normal! THANKS!
    Emily

22. Caroll

Caroll Active Member

Perhaps my advice will help you. I stopped biting my nails when I reshaped my nail in my manicure. It doesn't take long, but it helps to have well-groomed hands, even if you don't like cutting your nails.

23. Daneshka

Daneshka Active Member

My kids didn't always like to cut their nails either. They especially disliked doing it with nail scissors. Since I have two daughters, I found a simple solution. I bought a glass fingernail file for each of them and now they file their nails down to a perfect migdale shape so that their hands always look neat. If you want, you can see the range of such manicure products on this site https://zamberg.com/collections/glass-files/Crystal-Glass-Nail-Files . I think that you can choose something good one.