HELP! DAUGHTER MEMBRANE BROKE AT 21 WEEKS

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by CUBSPANN, Jul 26, 2008.

1. CUBSPANN

CUBSPANN Member

HI , MY DAUGHTER SHELLBELL HAD SOME DISCHARGE/ BROWNLEAKAGE ON FRIDAY AM. WENT TO ER. THEY TOLD HER BABY A'S FLUID LEVAL WAS A LITTLE LOW BUT NOTHING TO GET CONCERNED ABOUT. WHEN SHE GOT SONO. BABIES HEAT RATES WERE FINE. THEY TOLD HER SHE NEED TO GO OVER TO HER OB FOR CERVIC CHECK. SHE WENT THERE SHE TOLD HER THE FLUID LEVAL WAS NOT SERIOUS SO TO GO HOME ON BED REST AND SHE WOULD CALL WITH AN APPT. WITH AN DR FOR THE BABIES, I AM SORRY I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT YOU CALL THEM. ANY THEY CALLED HER 2 HRS LATER TOLD HER TO COME IN NOW . WHEN SHE GOT THER THEY DID A VAGINAL SONAGRAM AND ADIMETED HER TO TEST THE FLUID. FOUD OUT SHE HAD AN INFECTION IN HER VAGANIA SOMETHING THEY GAVE HER FLAGAL FOR. THEN THIS MORNING THEY TOLD HER BECAUSE THE BABIES ARE SHARING THE SAME PLACENTA EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE DIFFERENT SACS THEY ARE GOING TO BOTH BE LOST. SHE IS 21WEEKS. AT FIRST THEY SAID THEY COULD SAVE BABY B NOW THEY SAY THEY CAN'T. THEY SENT HER HOME AND TOLD HER TO WAIT UNTIL SHE GOES INTO LABOR. THEN BRING HER IN. HOW IS SHE SUPPOSE TO DO THIS????????????? I CAN'T WATCH HER HURT. IS THIS WHAT HAPPENS?I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE WE ARE DOING ALL WE CAN . AND THAT BABY B CAN'T BE SAVED. IAM SO SORRY FOR THIS SADNESS TO YOU ALL WHO ARE PREGANENT . PLEASE DON'T READ THIS AND WORRY. I AM SURE THIS IS RARE .

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. :cray: I am really not sure what, if anything, can be done at this point. I am so very sorry for you and your DD. I can't even imagine going though that. :hug99: Many hugs to you both! :hug99:

ETA: I'm not sure how it was done and didn't know it could be, but my Baby A (Emilie) was born at home and then Baby B (Trevor) wasn't born for 10 days later. Mine didn't share a placenta though so that could be the difference, I'm not sure. They are now 2.5 years old.

3. ferfischer

ferfischer Well-Known Member

Maybe they have TTTS and that's why the fluid is low, not because the membranes broke (because they are sharing a placenta it could be TTTS - twin to twin transfusion syndrome). Go to the TTTS foundation website, contact Mary there, then contact Dr. delia - this could be TTTS, and there ARE treatments for it. You need to get info about maximum vertical pocket fluid levels for each baby, cord doppler readings, whether they can see the bladders on both babies and any sign of hydrops - also if there are growth discrepancies. I think you should get a second opinion - contact mary and dr. delia and see what they have to say - also get the detail about those items from your docs too so you can communicate with other doctors!

many hugs
    jenny

4. Kimani

Kimani Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish I could say something to help. A couple weeks ago my DH and I were doing some research for fun on early delivaries and stumbled upon a really interesting case. There was this little girl that is the earliest known born baby that survived. Her name is Amillia Taylor and she was born in Miami at 21 weeks. The thing is that she had to trick the doctors into thinking that she farther along than she was because most places don't think that these babies are "viable."
    Here's a link, I hope its works: http://www.local10.com/news/11053141/detail.html

I don't know if this case could help you but perhaps she could talk to the doctors about at least trying to save these babies after they are born, and get a steroid shot asap if they do agree. It will be tricky to talk to them about this esp since they are twins.
    My thoughts are with you and you're family and I wish for the best for all.

5. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:cray: I am very sorry to hear this. I don't have any suggestions or stories to share, I just wanted to send your daughter a :hug99: and tell you that she and her babies are in my thoughts and prayers. :hug99:

6. CUBSPANN

CUBSPANN Member

7. kmacinnes2000

kmacinnes2000 Active Member

Hi, I have a couple of things that I don't know might help but here goes. My babies had TTTS and one of our options was to do a cord ligation on one (sorry this very hard to imagine but I needed to tell you) and that meant they would cut the cord on one to save the other. My babies share a placenta too so I don't understand why that may not be an option. As horrible as it sounds it is worth asking the doctor about.

Also, I belong to this other forum as well and was reading this post tonight and then I read yours so I thought I would post the link and check it out. Maybe you could contact the mom on the other forum because it said her baby had ruptured membranes at 18 weeks. Her babies were born at 28 weeks and the one who previously ruptured didn't survive but the other one did (sorry once again to bring attention to another loss but they did save one). http://www.twinsmagazine.com/vbulletin/sho...ad.php?t=106988
    I know they didn't share a placenta so I don't know if it will be of any help.

I am so sorry your daughter (and you) have to go through this. Just make sure that whatever she does if they have to do somehting permanent or drastic that she have more than one opinion as some docs are just all for the worst case scenario.

Your family is in my thoughts.

8. kmacinnes2000

kmacinnes2000 Active Member

9. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

If it were me, my mother would either take me back to the hospital, or at least order me back (we don't live in the same state) and wouldn't let me leave (if she were with me)

I'd make your daughter go back and not leave. She's got ruptured membranes, and an infection, they can try to treat her in-house with IV antibiotics, which are stronger than pills. They can also monitor her and at least TRY to keep her pregnant and save the babies. Sending her home just seems like they're not even trying.

Also, for Premature rupture, they can do something (not sure what it's called) where they infuse the placenta with IV fluids. Essentially they are replacing the lost fluid so that baby isn't w/o any. I dunno if it's possible with an infection, but it's one of those "it's worth a shot to ask" scenario's.

Good luck to your DD, and hopefully there's something that can be done. Keep us posted.

10. momoftheforest

momoftheforest Well-Known Member

I would also demand to be in the hospital and insist they do everything they can. I lost my twins at 21 weeks and the hospital and doctors made no effort to save them, my waters were intact and i had no infection, just incompetent cervix that was dialated. I will pray for you and your daughter, and if you need to talk feel free to PM me. Also, we have a great support group here for in the event they cant save the babies. Let us know how she doing.

11. summerfun

Just sending you more hugs and thoughts today. :hug99:

12. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

This is rediculous that they are not going to try to help her even if the odds aren't good! I would take her back to the hospital and INSIST that they try to save her babies. They should at least TRY. I've read several stories where women had PROM and were able to carry their babies to an age where the babies survived!

http://forum.baby-gaga.com/about179341.html
    http://www.shareyourstory.org/webx/.ef40808
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...06143855AAe12SJ (see water broke at 20 weeks)
    http://growingyourbaby.com/2007/10/29/feta...r-breaks-early/

13. monaraj

monaraj Well-Known Member

I am just so angry at the doctor and the hopital for not even trying to do something.
    I think you are in Illinois, if so then both University of Illinois and University of Chicago Medical centers have Maternal fetal Medicine services. Please call them and ask them see your daughter immediately. Most doctors at university hospitals are more experienced and looking for some extra-ordinary cases. Call them, or visit them and make sure you let them know how urgent this is.
    Here are the links
    University of Chicago Medical Center
    http://www.uchospitals.edu/specialties/obg...rnal-fetal.html

University of Illinois Medical Center.
    http://uillinoismedcenter.org/content.cfm/maternalfetal

In the mean time, do call Mary at TTTS foundation, she will be of great help. Also demand that the hospital and doctor do something for your daughter or transfer her to a facility that can do something.
    Lots of hugs to you and your daughter.
    I am praying for the little ones, your daughter and you

14. CUBSPANN

CUBSPANN Member

WELL THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PRAYERS. I HAVE BENN WITH DD ALL DAY AND ON THE PHONE WITH DRS. I DID GET SOME GOOD NEWS. I FOUND A DR AT THE HOSPITAL HERE WHO HAS SPECIALIZED IN TWIN DELIVERYS AND HAD KNOWLEDGE OF TTTS. SHE THE DR ALSO HAD A MEMBRANE BREAK AT 18 WEEKS WITH HER FIRST AND AT 15 WEEKS WITH HER 2ND AND THEY BOTH SURVIVED. SO I FELT SHE WAS AT LEAST GOING TO PULL FOR US. SHELLEY MY DD LEAKAGE HAS SLOWED DOWN SOME SO DR SAID THAT WAS GOOD. SHE SAID ALL WE CAN DO IS HOPE SHE CAN HOLD OFF UNTIL AT LEAST 23 1/2 WEEKS. SHE SAID THEY CAN'T PLUG THE MEMBRANE DUE TO INFECTION SETTING IN AND IT COULD BE MORE RISKY THAN WHAT WE HAVE GOING ON NOW. SHE SAYS HER CERVIX IS CLOSED AND NOT SHOWING ANY SIGNS OF PREPARING FOR LABOR. THEY DO NOT WANT HER IN THE HOSPITAL DURING THIS TIME BECAUSE THEY SAID THE HOSPITAL ENVIRONMENT IS SO MUCH MORE FULL OF INFECTIONS SHE COULD CONTACT. SHE EXPLAINED THAT IN GREAT DETAIL TO ME HOW MUCH SAFER SHE REALLY IS AT HOME USING HER OWN THINGS AND RELAXING AND AND NOT GOING OUT OF BED OR HAVING ANYONE COME OVER SICK ETC . WHERE AS IN THE HOSPITAL THEY CAN'T ALWAYS CONTROL WHAT COMES ON THAT FLOOR AND THE BABY IS SO EXPOSED RIGHT NOW. I HAVE BEEN STAYING AND TAKING SHIFTS WITH DH. I AM PRAYING AND PUTTING THEM IN GODS HANDS. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KINDNESS.

15. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

QUOTE(GRAMLIN @ Jul 27 2008, 09:23 PM) [snapback]899398[/snapback]
    WELL THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PRAYERS. I HAVE BENN WITH DD ALL DAY AND ON THE PHONE WITH DRS. I DID GET SOME GOOD NEWS. I FOUND A DR AT THE HOSPITAL HERE WHO HAS SPECIALIZED IN TWIN DELIVERYS AND HAD KNOWLEDGE OF TTTS. SHE THE DR ALSO HAD A MEMBRANE BREAK AT 18 WEEKS WITH HER FIRST AND AT 15 WEEKS WITH HER 2ND AND THEY BOTH SURVIVED. SO I FELT SHE WAS AT LEAST GOING TO PULL FOR US. SHELLEY MY DD LEAKAGE HAS SLOWED DOWN SOME SO DR SAID THAT WAS GOOD. SHE SAID ALL WE CAN DO IS HOPE SHE CAN HOLD OFF UNTIL AT LEAST 23 1/2 WEEKS. SHE SAID THEY CAN'T PLUG THE MEMBRANE DUE TO INFECTION SETTING IN AND IT COULD BE MORE RISKY THAN WHAT WE HAVE GOING ON NOW. SHE SAYS HER CERVIX IS CLOSED AND NOT SHOWING ANY SIGNS OF PREPARING FOR LABOR. THEY DO NOT WANT HER IN THE HOSPITAL DURING THIS TIME BECAUSE THEY SAID THE HOSPITAL ENVIRONMENT IS SO MUCH MORE FULL OF INFECTIONS SHE COULD CONTACT. SHE EXPLAINED THAT IN GREAT DETAIL TO ME HOW MUCH SAFER SHE REALLY IS AT HOME USING HER OWN THINGS AND RELAXING AND AND NOT GOING OUT OF BED OR HAVING ANYONE COME OVER SICK ETC . WHERE AS IN THE HOSPITAL THEY CAN'T ALWAYS CONTROL WHAT COMES ON THAT FLOOR AND THE BABY IS SO EXPOSED RIGHT NOW. I HAVE BEEN STAYING AND TAKING SHIFTS WITH DH. I AM PRAYING AND PUTTING THEM IN GODS HANDS. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KINDNESS.

That is great is finally found someone who is willing to take the time to help you out. It makes sense about the infection rate in the hospital also. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers and we will be awaiting an update. Hopefully Dr. DeLia will contact you Monday morning. :hug99:

16. Kimani

Kimani Well-Known Member

That's wonderful that you found a doctor who is willing to really work with you. I hope everything goes well from here on out and that they stay cooking as long as possible. Its really upsetting to me that hospitals won't do much before they are 23 weeks because they don't consider them viable. I hope you show that doctor the article I sent you to make them consider helping them out if the need arises.

Good luck, more hopeful thoughts sent your way!

17. ErickaK

ErickaK Well-Known Member

Your daughter is in my prayers. My first daughter was not a twin but passed at 24w 1d because I had gotten a placenta infection. It was in my daughter's bloodstream and slowed her growth down by 2 weeks, so when she was born she was really only developed to 22 weeks. She never did take a breath, but her heart kept beating for 71 mins after her birth. There was nothing they could do for her and she passed in my arms. The OB said that the infection I had could only be cured by delivery. (It was called Chorioamnionitis)

I pray things turn out better for your daughter than they did with my daughter. Please keep us updated.

18. Mom2SaraandSam

Mom2SaraandSam Well-Known Member

Your daughter is in my T&P's....

19. summerfun

I'm glad you found a dr. willing to help out. That is good that her cervix is closed!!! Please keep us update. :hug99:

20. monaraj

monaraj Well-Known Member

Its great you found a doctor willing to help. We are all praying for your daughter and she will make it through

Keep us updated.
    Lots of love to your family,DD and the babies :hug99:

21. CUBSPANN

CUBSPANN Member

DR DELIA CALLED ME THIS MORNING!! WE TALKED FOR AWHILE . HE GAVE ME ALOT OF INFO. ANDI AM GOING TO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH HIM THROUGH EMAIL. HE WAS VERY HELPFULL. SHELLY AND I ARE VERY POSITIVE AND LETTING GOD DO ALL HE CAN. LOV AND PRAYERS TO ALL YOU MOMS.

22. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

QUOTE(GRAMLIN @ Jul 28 2008, 02:22 PM) [snapback]900550[/snapback]
    DR DELIA CALLED ME THIS MORNING!! WE TALKED FOR AWHILE . HE GAVE ME ALOT OF INFO. ANDI AM GOING TO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH HIM THROUGH EMAIL. HE WAS VERY HELPFULL. SHELLY AND I ARE VERY POSITIVE AND LETTING GOD DO ALL HE CAN. LOV AND PRAYERS TO ALL YOU MOMS.

Thank you so much for the updates. I've been looking for them. I have said a prayer too :hug99: .

23. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

QUOTE(momoftheforest @ Jul 27 2008, 09:56 AM) [snapback]898573[/snapback]
    I would also demand to be in the hospital and insist they do everything they can. I lost my twins at 21 weeks and the hospital and doctors made no effort to save them, my waters were intact and i had no infection, just incompetent cervix that was dialated. I will pray for you and your daughter, and if you need to talk feel free to PM me. Also, we have a great support group here for in the event they cant save the babies. Let us know how she doing.

:hug99: im so sorry for your twin loss, congrats on your baby boy to be!

24. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

prayers for your dd and her twins!

25. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Oh I'm praying so hard that he is able to help your daughter and the babies. :hug99: Keep us updated.

26. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(TwinLove @ Jul 28 2008, 07:53 PM) [snapback]901181[/snapback]
    Oh I'm praying so hard that he is able to help your daughter and the babies. :hug99: Keep us updated.

Me too! Good luck to your daughter and the babies!

27. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinLove @ Jul 28 2008, 06:53 PM) [snapback]901181[/snapback]

A very heartfelt ditto here! Prayers for all of them!