do you think i should bring her in to the dr?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ljcrochet, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got a call from the nurse at my girls camp that S was complaining her ear hurt. She didn't have a fever, but it hurt when the nurse tried to look in her ear. Could not really check something about wax in her ear. Asked for my okay to give her motrin or tylenol. Didn't ask me to pick her up, said i might want to bring her in to have the pedi check her. Asked me what she weighed so she could give the correct dose of medicine.
    I'm trying to decide if i want to call now and make an appointment for after camp, or wait till she gets home and see how she is feeling.

What would you do?

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I'd probably wait to take a look myself.

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Is she prone to ear infections? If so, I'd get her in right away. If not, I would probably check her out when she gets home. What's your cancellation policy with the doctor? I might book something tentatively just so it's convenient if you can.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Whenever my kids complain of ear problems, I put a couple of drops of oil in the bothersome ear right before bedtime (I use baby oil but my mom used to use vegetable or canola oil, whatever we had in the house). My kids haven't been on antibiotics for ear infections in probably 4-5 yrs. Before that I would take them to the dr and they'd end up on amoxicillin each time.

Most mild ear infections will actually clear up without antibiotics on their own.

So for me, I would not rush to the dr, I would try the oil first and see how it feels in a couple of days :) But I'm pretty slow to rush to the dr overall, I tend to try to wait things out first :) If you are more comfortable taking her to the dr then I would just go ahead and make her an appointment so you can get her in sooner!

1 person likes this.
  5. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Have they been swimming a lot? If so, I would suspect an outer ear infection and those can be quite painful.

6. ljcrochet

Not this week. Usually they swim twice a day at camp, but both of my girls are in a camp that that is tonight so they are missing camp activities to practice for the play.

7. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I always go to the doctor for ear issues. The doctor can decide whether or not antibiotics are necessary. Anna had an eardrum burst from an ear infection about a year and a half ago and we had no idea. She didn't act like it particularly hurt her. She's been seeing an ENT for monitoring for the last year and a half and is having surgery to repair the hole in October. I don't mess around with ear problems.

8. ljcrochet

I decided to wait and see how she was when they got home. She didn't complain at all. When I asked she said the medicine tasted bad.
    My MIL cans over to go with us to their camp show, and S told her sonethibg about how she got in trouble for talking during the dress reshersal and had to wait out side which was when she ear hurt so bad she had to go to the nurse.

9. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I would also guess swimmers ear. It is not uncommon at camp, and even if they haven't been swimming this week, it could have developed last week--swimmers ear typically takes a full 7 days to resolve. I would get it checked in the morning and bring her to camp late.

10. ljcrochet

She was was fine all last night. Then woke us at 5 completing her throat hurt. Tried to have her go back to sleep, felt a little warm. At 6:30 I took her tem 101.2. Gave her Advil . I called the pedi and they can't see her till this afternoon, so we went to a walk in clinic. Throat is red. Right ear had a big hard hunk of ear wax. They just put something in it that has to sit for 10 minutes, then will do a water ear bath to get it out.
    Of course we have plans tonight and tomorrow.

11. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was just coming to see how she did last night, I hope she feels better soon!!

12. ljcrochet

She isn't her self but since not strep just can give her advil or tylenol. She is saying she feels better because she wants to go tonighy

13. ljcrochet

Just got a call from the dr office, strep test was positive. Kind of funny since the doc said the chance of it is so low. When DH gets home, (unless he stops on his way home), i'm going to target to pick up the antibodies that she needs to take for 5 days.
    She has been okay just whinny. I think DH feels bad for not listening to her. He took both girls to SIx Flags Great Adventrue. They did not get home till almost 2 am.

14. ljcrochet

So DH stops at Target and calls me to see what time I dropped the script off. I'm like they called it in. It was around 5. Pharmacist first had to listen to the scripts that had been called in to find it almost 2 hours later. Of course DH is now loose in target most likely with 15 minutes to kill.

15. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Is that as dangerous for you guys as it is for us?

16. ljcrochet

At times it can be dangerous. Last night it wasn't. Only thing DH got was my coffee creamer. I was surprised. Figured he would buy more stuff

17. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Only creamer? Sheesh, my husband would have spent $200 in 15 minutes. On things like buttwipes, a shirt here and there, some underwear, some socks, some toys for the kids.

18. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Ditto what Bex said. Plus $10 from the Dollar Spot and two more shirts for the girls that match nothing.

I'm glad she's got some meds and some relief coming.