Crying Kindergarteners

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by jjzollman, Aug 10, 2013.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

My twins started kindergarten this week and they've been a crying mess. Of course, I'm sure it makes it worse for me because I teach in the school they attend, so I know when they're crying and when they're not, and that out of 54 total kindergarteners in the school, mine are 2 out of the only 3 who are crying.

Just wondering about the other kindergarteners out there...

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Jessy cried for at least part of the day for a whole month in prek. Her and jazz were in the same class but it was really rough on her. I finally told her that she was giving her teacher a complex. She finally got used to the teacher and stopped crying

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'll let you know September 9th when we start. I don't know if I will have crying kindergarteners or not.

I was told that I cried everyday for two weeks when I started kindergarten. I was also told (by my Mother) that I told my kindergarten teacher that I would learn more at home watching the Price is Right and Days of Our Lives with my Mom then being at school. Clearly, I was not excited for kindergarten.

:hug: to your little guys and to you Mama!

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know mine cried last year because they were together and they'd tell me that the other one cried. They both would cry a little at drop off and then again when it was nap time.

They start kindergarten on Friday, so I'll let you know. I hope since they're at the same school as last year that they won't.

5. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

UM... YA!!! you were learning the value of a dollar and how to manage adult relationships while always looking fabulous... Skills i know many adults lack ;)

NOW... regarding crying Kindergartners... I'll let you know after Aug 21st :mellow: NOT looking forward to the 1st day :cry:

6. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

I wonder if its worse for them because they know you're close by but still can't get to you? or maybe they thought that going to the same school as Mommy meant that they would be with you at school?

7. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine start tomorrow, I've got a bad feeling about one of them...he seems anxious and not exactly excited.
    *hugs* to you and your little guys! They'll adjust, it just may take a while.

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm almost positive Amelia is going to cry Friday. She was almost in tears today just meeting the teacher and she asked me a few times for reassurance that I wasn't leaving today.

9. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Do you walk them down to the class? I learned if I did not make a huge deal about it they were fine. Just drop and go.

10. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Kiefer had a hard time with the whole carpool routine. In preschool, we were able to walk them to class, but now they get dropped off in front of the school. There are helpers there to help guide them to their classrooms if they need the help. At first, Kiefer told me he didn't like it and I could tell he didn't like being let out of the car and then walked to his classroom by a stranger. He is better with it now. He never cried though. Cameron was always a lot better with handling social situations. He just went with the flow and felt fully confident about getting to class on his own after about 1-1/2 weeks of being lead to his classroom. Kiefer just went with Cameron since his classroom was right next door. Kiefer's only complaint now is that school is too long. He wants to get home to play video games. We don't usually let him unless he's completed his homework or has done very well that day in class...same for Cameron. Cameron LOVES school now. He doesn't mind being home later than he's used to. Kiefer is starting to show excitement for some of his classes. He loves the physical stuff. His face lights up now when he talks about what he did in school. I've never seen him light up like that.

So, for anyone whose child is having a tough time adjusting, there is a light at the end of that tunnel. It takes some kids more time than others to get used to their new environments and what is asked of them, but once they settle down to their new routines and their classmates/teachers, they may find at least one thing they really love about school. Homework is almost never fun for those that have "better" things to do, but there's always at least something to look forward to in school that will help them settle in and not feel so anxious.