Not pooping

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Debbiemichelle, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

One of our twins (ten weeks) hasn't pooped in 4-5 days (we aren't exactly sure of the last day she did. The pedi said they can start going up to a week without pooping, and she doesn't seem uncomfortable. Just to ease our minds, does anyone else have experience with this?

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If breastfed, babies can go up to 2 weeks!

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What Michelle said. :good: Exclusively breastfed babies rarely rarely get constipated. Also keep in mind that constipation has more to do with the consistency of the stool (small, rock hard stools) then the frequency at which baby has a bowel movement (in other words, a long time between bowel movements doesn't mean baby is constipated).

4. efaith

efaith Well-Known Member

my girls were fairly consistent once a week poopers, made all the nappy changes in between a breeze!!!

5. jsmith

jsmith Active Member

My boys would go 10-14 days without pooping. They were perfectly fine. There was no sign of constipation, and when they did go, there did not seem to be any discomfort at all. Are yours breastfed? I think that it is common for breastfed babies to go for some days between poops. Mine were breastfed with one bottle of formula daily.

6. Debbiemichelle

This does make me feel much better! They are breastfed pretty much exclusively. Whew! Thank you for relieving the worry :)

7. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup sounds normal! My dd still to this day only poops every few days:)

8. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

Same here. Adira went through a phase where she only pooped once a week at most. Now I look back at that time fondly :)

9. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My singleton never did it and I felt so cheated! Now she's on table foods and she smells :bad:

10. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

None of mine have ever done the long stretches between poops though every one told me it would happen. I feel your pain!

11. Debbiemichelle

She pooped last night! Thanks for alleviating our worries!