How modest are you in your family?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by NicoleLea, Jan 2, 2013.

1. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

I guess this is moreso for the parents...I remember as a kid never ever seeing my mom naked. I've probably seen her without a shirt 2 times in my life, lol. Me on the other hand, I find it to be no big deal. Esp. now that I am pregnant. I'll get out of the shower and wander around for awhile until I feel like drying my hair, etc. Or if I am getting ready for bed and my kids are there I don't tell them they have to leave so I can get dressed. Granted, they are little girls and would be different if they were boys, but to me it is no big deal. I don't feel there is anything shameful about our bodies. It is really funny to me some of the things the girls notice too. "Mom, your boobs are saggy" "Mom, what are these little lines on your stomach (stretch marks)?" "Mom, why do you have hair on your bottom?" LOL They also have been enjoying watching my belly grow and asking all kinds of questions about the baby. It is cute.

So I'm curious, in your home is it a big deal to be naked? Or do you not care?

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I'm not very modest. It cracks me up that my cousin (like a sister to me) will just now dress and undress in front of me. If I had boys it would be different but I think it's good for girls self confidence to see there moms comfortable in their own skins

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Dh and I aren't particularly modest by nature in our own homes. But now that our boys are 3/3.5 I'm moving us to a place of modesty. My own dad is not modest and I have seen him nude and can remember it. It's not a happy memory so I'm really trying to be conscious of being clothed now. Dh just got a pair of PJs for Christmas that are appropriate but comfortable.

My exception to this is nursing. I will not hide nursing from them although they haven't seen it in several months as my baby is too distractable to nurse in anything other than quiet rooms.

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Paul is modest now that the girls are older, but I'm not modest at all. I have seen my mom naked so many times I couldn't even begin to guess the number. It's healthy and I appreciate that I had a positive example (of confidence) to follow. Besides, we (girls) have all got the same equipment.

So, lots of female nudity around here.

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

In front of others, I'd change in a closet before friends, etc(gym class, etc etc).

My kids? Open door policy. The boys are now 5, maybe now we should start(school age too). They have only asked what my breasts were...they know girl parts and boy parts, and they have asked to see my c section scar. But they aren't super curious, maybe because we don't hide it? I don't know. It's only when we shower/change.

Dh mentioned to start locking the bathroom door. And I noticed at 5, Nicholas especially became modest with others around. He totally covers himself up!

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My 10 yr old still walks into the bathroom when I'm bathing/showering/using the toilet. I rarely close the door, my twins are not quite 4 and I don't trust them if I can't hear them :lol: Especially not now that we have a little puppy in the house, they get a little.....*enthusiastic* with Izzy now and then and I have to remind them not to carry her and to leave her alone.

Anyways, DH is a little more careful with our 6 yr old daughter, he doesn't shower with her anymore. But all the kids see me all the time. I try to stay covered when the 10 and 6 yr old come in, but when I'm bathing in my garden tub, there's really no way to hide when they come in. Fortunately I bath at this time of night and they don't usually come in unless they have to pee, and they are so sleepy and blinded by the light they don't really see much ;)

7. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Not spectacularly modest within our house yet. I'm not sure if that'll change.

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am not terribly modest. The boys still shower with me most of the time rather than risking the monumental destructo mess they make in their rooms if I leave them to their own devices. I will get more modest over time to teach them privacy, but I am not going to become a nevernude or anything like that.

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The girls were nevernudes for a long portion of their toddlerhood. They've now outgrown it. *facepalm*

10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

High five on that. Miles has to be naked ALL THE TIME. Ozzy only likes wearing pants or a shirt, but never both.

11. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

We are not very modest at all. I used to go in and have full blown conversations with my mom while she took a bath all the way through high school. My husband has just started wearing boxers to bed since we always end up with a little girl in our bed and they have started becoming too fascinated with his penis for his comfort. He still uses the bathroom in front of them, will shower with them, but just isn't comfortable sleeping naked anymore.

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Now that the kids are 5 and school age, we are more modest in this house. We had an open door policy here, but we feel like we've dealt with the body questions in an age appropriate way and now that they are older, they don't need to see us in various states of undress.

13. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm not modest, but my husband is and always has been.

14. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

My oldest is 8 and while he won't come in the bathroom with me anymore, he will still talk to me through the door. This started when he was 6 or 7. The babies have seen me naked and despite their loud questions at awkward times (Mommy what are those? (Pointing to my breasts) said very loud while in the gym changing room). Our goal is a household that will be somewhere between the closest and full nudity.

15. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I am pretty modest around my kids (and husband). Not because I think it is the right thing to do, but because I am terribly self conscious... always have been. I do nurse and don't try to hide it from them, but the kids have only seen me butt naked once. I was in the shower, screamed like a 13 year old girl, and wrapped up in a towel right away. Sad, I know!

My kids, on the other hand, are always at least partly naked. I was looking through photos yesterday and in the majority of the pictures, someone was without pants! Kind of ridiculous... makes sharing photos on Facebook really hard! :p

16. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We aren't very modest here. The kids will walk into the bathroom and we just have started asking them for privacy. I am not big on walking around naked, but they have seen me in the shower or in the process of getting dressed.

17. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are not modest in front of each other at all. We shower together, change in front of each other, its not a big deal to us, like second nature.
    Sophia and Ryder both cover themselves in front of others but not Reese, she has NO shame! LOL!! :booty:

18. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I have no problems being naked around kids/hubby. I am trying to install some respect of knocking on bathroom door if it is closed in them. DH never had that and it really bothered me that when I was in the bathroom he felt the need to 'invade' when I was going to the bathroom or taking a bath. The twins are not really ones to ask questions and don't seem to notice their differences.

19. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Not really modest at all. In a house full of boys, I don't really care if they see me naked. I am a woman, if they date girls and marry one day, they will possibly know that women's bodies are not best represented by models in magazines and on TV.

They don't seem to bothered at all by invading my space, even my 8.5 year old. If they act uncomfortable, I will of course change...but really, they come into the bathroom when I'm using it o the bedroom when I'm dressing. They can always stop doing that if they don't want to see me. ;).

20. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

This is a great topic!

I have two boys and a girl. My boys sleep naked and just down right refuse to wear any clothes to bed. Libby LOVES her p.j's so that isn't an issue. They all know about their private parts and our privacy. I can't have a shower alone these days. One, two or all three of the kids are in there with me. We can walk around naked when getting ready for the day or bedtime, but we don't play with the fact that we are naked. I have no problem with nudity but the minute the kids start taking it as a joke or being silly about it....clothes go on!

My biggest issue is when I have flow....the kids don't leave me alone! I can't pee in peace...so....I have as of late had to get very creative with keeping the kids out of the bathroom when flow is in town....

21. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I'm less modest than I used to be. I didn't mind being naked in front of my boys, but now they like to touch stuff. That's a big no-no so clothes stay one in front of them as much as possible. I also used to be really shy about anyone in the bathroom with me when I use the toilet. Now I don't care so much. I'll even leave the door open if I have to pee. DH doesn't like that so much, so the door has been closed a lot more. DH is definitely modest. He has NEVER been fully naked in front of me. I think he has been naked in front of the boys before, but not in front of me. It does get interesting when we go swimming. I have had to get undressed in front of the boys these days. They ask some of the funniest questions. They'll even discuss and point out where pee pee and doody come out of a girl with each other as if I were a statue or just not in the room.