Baby wearing advice!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by emp59, Dec 12, 2012.

1. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

My baby isn't here yet and my twins are much older, but I figure this would be the best place to get advice about this matter! I have an ergo and I'm trying to decide between buying the infant insert or a moby wrap. I was hoping DH would have a preference, but he will wear anything. Which works better for a newborn?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For me, the moby, hands down. I was never able to get the ergo to fit me properly but the moby waa infinitely adjustable. I did find I had to tie it quite a bit tighter than I expected when I first put it on to keep baby snug and in the right position.

3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

For us, the ergo-type carrier with a newborn insert did not work until around the 6-8 week mark. I used a long wrap so I have no experience with a moby, but I hear they are good and very adjustable.

4. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

I used a wrap in the beginning and then the infant insert on the ergo later. The ergo felt way to big at first, even with the insert but when they both started to resist the wrap the ergo was a godsend. We continued to use the seat part of the infant insert after they outgrew the wrap around part just to give them some extra height. Hth.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I loved the Moby with A. It held her snugly when she just wanted to be held as a new, newborn and we had stuff to do.

6. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

I use the moby with Jackson, he loved it, adalynn not so much, now I use the ergo with both, DH and I both have one and we'll strap them in and do things around the house/yard or go for a walk

7. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies! I will order the moby now :) Now to continue trying to convince DH that we don't need an infant seat, just a convertible!

8. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

I used the moby with my first for the first 2 months, but I used an Ergo with the heart-2-heart insert with my twins. Both worked fine and I preferred the Ergo with insert as it was easier and quicker to put on than the Moby. I also used a ring sling or hotsling (I have way too many baby carriers!) early with my twins when I just wanted to carry one quickly. They liked sitting up in the sling starting at about 3-4 weeks old--the hotsling holds the baby pretty securely with just their head out so they can see. IDH actually carried a twin using his Ergo without the insert very early on. He would just froggy the baby's legs and turn the head sideways and check on the baby frequently to make sure his/her nose was not pressed against him.

The Ergo insert does have a limited use window and I stopped using it maybe around 8 weeks old... it was earlier than I expected to (although I'm sure I could have used it longer, but by 8 weeks I found it very easy to get the babies in a good position in the Ergo with their heads turned to one side).

The Moby is definitely nice for brand new newborns. I started using the Ergo and slings when the babies were about 4 weeks old.

But, all that said, I found the insert useful, if not a bit expensive for how short a time I used it.

9. AKilburn

Are you picky on color? I can send you mine.

10. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

I'm not picky on color at all! I would LOVE yours!

11. AKilburn

I sent you a PM! :)

12. AKilburn

I sent you a pm but everything was sent yesterday!

13. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, Alex! I told my husband that you sent it and he is astonished by your kindness. As am I :)

14. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Aw, I love my Twinstuff girls! So sweet, Alex. :)

15. AKilburn

Its not a problem at all! I had people me along the way, I guess its my way of paying it forward! :)

16. AKilburn

Hey Emily I sent you a PM but I was checking to see if you had gotten the package yet