Do you round up with age?

Discussion in 'General' started by cjk2002, Dec 3, 2012.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing I got this from my Dad who pretty much from the age of 75 would say that he'll be 80. I would talk with him on New Year's Day and he would say "you'll be 44 soon" although my birthday not until August.

My boys will be 5 in early January. DH been giving me grief because when people ask how old they are, I say "they'll be 5 in January". He thinks I should say they are 4 because they still are. :unknw:

I do remember commenting in August that they are closer to 5 than they are 4 and that just made him :grr:

But what makes this even more odd is that he will not tell anyone when his birthday is. On January 1st he becomes a year older. I know his birthday and of course his family, but everyone else does not. :spy:

So do you round up?

2. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

It depends in where in the year we are!!

I know right now I say" They turned 7 in Oct." Then I will just say 7 for awhile....around Easter I say 7 1/2. Then as it gets near Aug or so I will say "They will be 8 in Oct).

So that is helpful now isn't it!! :laughing:

Is your DH missing 'little ones'? I know that when my girls turned 5 - I was sad to admit it since it seemed 'older' somehow!

3 people like this.
  3. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When it gets to be a couple months before their birthday I will say they will be 5 in January.

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I rounded up when my kids were a month or two away from the next age. So at 2 and 10 months I'd say "almost 3". But now that my kids can count for themselves, they're kind of obsessed with their age and we use 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 usually. So right now they're 5 and a half and in a month or two I'll start saying they're 5 and three quarters.

5. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

It depends on where it is in the year. Right now I say they will be 6 in February. Before this, I would always just say they are 5.

6. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I've been saying "almost three" for two months now! They'll be three at the end of December.

7. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

I'm with you, I round their ages to "just turned x", "x and a half", or "x+1 next month". As far as our adult ages, I think we get to make up whatever number we want. I'm at the point where I have to subtract my birth year from the current year to remember how old I really am.

1 person likes this.
  8. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I started calling myself thirty about two months before I really was! That wasn't the smartest considering that everybody thought I was turning 31 when my birthday did finally roll around.

9. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Lol I do the same thing!

10. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do the same thing:)

11. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Once we are about 9 months out I will say they will be ....

12. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Same thing!

13. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I agree, I think it depends on where they are in the year. Right after a birthday, I say my DD just turned and right before, she's the next age.

14. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Somewhere around 3 months until their b'day, I start saying they're "almost [next age]." By a month before their b'day, I usually refer to them as the next age unless I really need to be specific (like when talking to a doctor).

15. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I'll do it the month before. Right now he is 4.5 (If anyone asks me).

16. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It depends on where in the year it is for me, too. As they approach the next year or even 1/2 year I'll say 3.5 or almost 4.

My pet peeve: After 18 months or so, calling a baby by their age in months. Can't we just say 2? :tomato:

17. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I'm not in any rush to have my children older. I know they will get older no matter what but my twins are 13 and will be until their birthday in Dec.

I never did the adjusted age either because of early delivery. They are the age they are.

18. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Haha, I theoretically hate this too, but I'm pretty sure that when I saw somebody yesterday who I hadn't seen in a while, I told her that Rivky was 28 months. So much for my integrity.

19. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Funny! I never know what to say with months before two! I think for me, I don't want to say 2! I want her to stay a baby forever! Yesterday I did say to someone 20 months and as I walked away, I thought to myself they were probably thinking why did I not just say 1 1/2 or almost 2!

20. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I round up. I've been saying, "They'll be 5 the day after Christmas." Not so much for other people but for me, who is going to need to adjust to the idea of having 5 year olds. And being able to say, "They're 5" without a lump in my throat.

As for me, I hold on to my current age for as long as can. My birthday is Sunday and I will not acknowledge that another year of my life has passed until then :laughing:
    My best friend rounds up her age. I don't until the last minute.

21. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I do the same. Ii'll say they are 4 soon after their birthday. When they approach Christmas, I say 4-1/2. When they get close to their next birthday, maybe April? I'll go back and forth between 4-1/2 to "they'll be 5 in June." That's how I did it after they turned 2. After that, I stopped saying months and went to years. My DH corrected me once when saying they were almost 4 or they'll be four in June. But, now, he does the same as me. It just seems easier to say it this way.

22. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Oh heck no, I won't say the girls are 6 until Jan 3 at 8:02 and 8:03 until then, they are 5 LOL!!

1 person likes this.
  23. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

for the kids I say (right now) 6 1/2...for myself I say I'm pushing 40 (I'll be 39 in March),,,

24. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

Depends. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Don't really know why :)

25. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I round up for the kids.

For myself? i usually don't know without doing the math.. so i make it up. Sometimes later, i realize i made myself older and sometimes younger.. when i give my accurate age it is more luck than wisdom. ;)
    The year i was 31 i spent the ENTIRE year saying i was 32 and only realized on my next birthday! LOL 32 was a very good year, both of them :woohoo:

26. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

My dad (a teacher) told everyone at his work his birthday was April 1st. When he transferred schools the date was in is paperwork and the new school celebrated his b-day on April 1st. for 20 years!!! His own private April fools joke!

27. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

My own age from about 6 mos before my birthday and I can't remember not doing it.

My kids I'll switch to almost next-age from maybe 2 mos before. I might say add half years, if it seems relevant. However, mine are 21 (in 11 days), 18, and 10/10 (in 2 weeks), so there's not that huge difference between 9.5 and 10 (or 20.5 and 21) like there is between 2.5 and 3.