What do you say is STTN?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rayceryin12, Dec 2, 2012.

1. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Not getting up to eat or not waking up at all?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know the official definition of sleeping through the night was different then mine, but I considered my kids sleeping through the night when they slept without waking for 8 hours or more.

1 person likes this.
  3. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

I agree with Nancy! About 2 weeks ago adalynn and Jackson started taking a bottle around 7, falling asleep about 830 and waking up at 3-4 am, thats 8-9 hours straight of sleep. They're now taking their bottle around 9 and sleeping till 5-6.

4. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

Ive seen all kinds of definitions, with pediatricians saying a 5-6 hour stretch. My definition is sleeping all the way through without a feed - 11 to 12 hours.

I think everyone has different definitions and it can be confusing especially when you hear someone say ' my kid sttn at 6 weeks!' There definition could be the 5-6 hour stretch.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well, since nobody on the planet actually sleeps all night without waking ( ;) ) I would say it's the ability to sleep from bedtime to wake time without needing mine or DH's help to get back to sleep.

2 people like this.
  6. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Ok! We are working on it.....just wanted to see what people thought.....I'm a accurate baby book freak!

7. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I always considered it a 6-7 hr stretch. My oldest was 3 weeks and going from 11-6. For the twins, Nathaniel was 4 weeks and doing midnight till 6:30 and William was doing 11:30-6 by 13 weeks.

8. efaith

efaith Well-Known Member

it is very confusing! for example if our girls crash at 7, they will sleep through til 2 or 3. That's a fair chunk of sleep but still broken sleep for me so although technically they are sleeping through it's not like my nights sleep starts then so i hardly benefit!!

9. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

Haha! Do we ever NOT have broken sleep?

10. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

This^^

ETA - for me it means not getting up to eat or need comforted. I sometimes hear my LOs at night but only for a moment and they go back to sleep on their own.

11. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I considered a 6-8 hr stretch as sleeping through the night. All my kids slept through between 6-8 weeks of age.

12. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

My pedi considers it 11-6 without needing feeding or me to get up.

13. astewart0610

astewart0610 Well-Known Member

Yay sounds like we are all doing better ! Boys are sleeping 8 hr stretches now as well! Thankfully!!

14. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

My pedi said a 5-6 hour stretch without needing soothing or feeding. One of mine was STTN by this definition by 4 or 5 months, the other took well over a year.