formula brand question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by christinam, Nov 15, 2012.

1. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

My boys are coming home from the NICU in the next day or two. Right now they're on the Enfamil 24 calorie formula. The nurse said the boys will likely be moved to the Similac NeoSure and I'll have a recipe to pack the formula to make it more calories. I've always used generic formula without problems so when I looked up the price online it was a bit scary! I found Wal-Mart has a generic version. Has anyone tried it? It's SO MUCH cheaper. Has anyone's pedi had a problem with them using the generic? I'm going to talk to them about it before using it. Just curious what other's opinions are of the formula.

2. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

My boys are tolerant of all kinds. We have used Enfamil, Gerber Gentle, Walmart brand, and Sam's club brand. The only thing that changes sometimes is their poop. We are lucky.....I think being able to use generic/switch brands depends on the babes!

Glad to hear your boys are heading home!!!!

3. christinam

That is how my other children were as well with the generics/name brands. I'm hoping my new little guys will be the same.

4. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

My Los were 6 weeks early. the NICU doc put them on Similac Neosure and recommended they stay on it for one year. (They said even if they were bf they recommend that they get two feedings a day of the formula.)
    I asked my ped. if I could switch them to generic. He said yes, left the room and then came back and said he had just remembered they were preemie. He recommended they stay on the Similac Neosure (there really isn't a good comparable)... so that is what we have done.

5. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I've used generic formula for my kids, either Target or Walmart brand. But just the regular generic, no specialty formulas. My peds have been okay with it but none of my babies were preemies either. I would talk to your ped first before switching.

6. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would ask first too. My girls were on enfamil AR and there was no generic for that.

7. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We did good start and and did double scoops

8. christinam

I'll definitely ask before using the generic. My children have all used generic but like a lot of you didn't need specialty formula. We'll see what the pedi says tomorrow.

9. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

you can make 24 cal out of generic powdered...instead of one scoop per 2 oz of water its 1 to 1 - we did it for ours since they were on Soy and there is no soy version...

Please don't let them talk you into staying on the more expensive stuff when you can do well with the regular....

10. christinam

My pedi said generic is fine to use. He also said he would hook us up when he can if the rep has been in. I plan to buy the generic next time we need to buy again.

1 person likes this.
  11. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

My twins are on nutramigen and our pedi got with the enfamil rep and they sent us 2 cases of nutramigen and my pedi has given us a TON of nutramigen also. Enfamil sent us a bunch of coupons and also a letter for my pedi to fill out/ sign and to submit to our insurance to see if they'd cover it, we juat submitted that and are waiting to hear back.