DS wakes us up way too early

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Until 2 weeks ago the kids couldn't get out of their room (safety issues... didn't trust them one bit not to destroy something if they were loose in the house). Then they started improving, so we decided it was time to remove the knob cover... and now it sucks. They used to play quietly in their room for a while before knocking on the door so we could get them out (their room is right next to ours). Now DS comes in our room at 6.30-7am and just keeps talking so there's no way I can sleep through that. They don't need to get up before 7.45am for school really so I want them to start waking up later... It's not like it's bright light outside at 6.30am either :(

I'm exhausted. And tomorrow it's going to be 5.30-6am when he wakes us up :crazy: It doesn't matter whether they go to bed at 7pm or 8pm. Has anyone tried those kids alarm clocks that have different colos for when it's ok to leave the room, and do they work?

2. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I have those color clanging clocks in both my boy' rooms. It works nicely for them. I did have to train them a couple of days but it works nicely. The clocks they have are street lights. I told them the red light means sleep time and green light means they can freely leave their room. The yellow light if they want it on is just for an extra night light. Now they are so happy to have the light turn green they come out and announce it. If I'm not up when the light goes on, they have been pretty good about playing quietly, but it goes on at 7:45 which I'm OK with them coming in at that time. I'm not a morning person, but I've grown accustomed to waking up that early because of school.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TKLN3W/?tag=mytwins02-20

There's a sound alarm which you can choose not to turn on and just have the lights turn on/off if you prefer. I have the sound off. No need to scare them awake if they aren't awake when the light turns green. ;)

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have the clock for the boys room. They don't come out until its green. Although, they have a bit more freedom, and have come down before its green, but they don't wake us. They turn the tv to their station and they are set. I got the clock for $12.99 on kids.woot

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I've been stalking kids.woot for weeks but I haven't seen it there in ages :(

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Do your kids know their numbers? You could do a regular digital clock, A&R know that when the clock says 8:00 (eight-zero-zero) it's bedtime, they aren't allowed out of their room in the morning until the clock says 6:30 (six-three-zero). They also know that quiet time on the weekend is from one-zero-zero to three-zero-zero. They've known this for a while, we've been using the regular clock since they were 3 for things like this.

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We do that too Bex. We've been doing that for naps. Works well. :)

7. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have Gro clocks & have also had good success with them. If the girls do get out of bed early, I just ask them if their clock is the right color yet. If not, they go back to their room with a reminder that they can read books, talk quietly, etc.

1 person likes this.
  8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a small neon fish shaped light on a timer and they aren't allowed to get up until the fishy light turns on. Now, several mornings the last couple months Rylee has gotten up 15-20 minutes early because she has to pee. Those mornings I don't make them go back to bed, but for the most part, they stay in their room until the light turns on, and then come running out yelling "Fishy light turn on! Fishy light turn on!"

9. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We do the same thing- only with a small lamp.

The timer goes on and they can get up.

We have used it since the were about 2.5 and they are now 7. BEST. $5. Spent EVER.

10. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

We got my oldest a digital clock for his third birthday and told him he couldn't get up until the first number said 6 and it worked perfectly. With our twins, we bought the onaroo sleep owl when they were two and a half and told them they couldn't get up until the owl turned green. It took about 3 weeks for my son to really get it, but now they would never get up before the owl turned green. I do think some kids are naturally morning larks.

PS Love the idea of a light on a timer! Awesome.