Feeling bad - I don't 'dress' the twins up

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jdorourk, Oct 3, 2012.

1. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

So this is pretty random but has been bugging me lately. I feel kinda bad that I don't dress the twins up. DH's mom buys all these cute full outfits for the twins (almost 6 mos old) - pants, tops, overalls, dresses and I just don't have the energy to dress up the twins in them. For one, we are in Texas and it is still pretty warm here so they have pretty much lived in short sleeve onesies in the daytime since they were born in April. Secondly, it is so much easier to take care of them in onesies in the day - easy to change diaper, and they still spit up some so I don't worry that they are ruining their outfit. DH's sister is a huge shopper and has given us a TON of b/g handme downs and there are so many cute clothes - pant sets, dresses but I just don't have the energy to dress them up. I actually feel kinda sad and wonder if I'll look back and wish I had them in cuter clothes.

2. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Eh whatever, it's understandable. Just try to get them dressed up once in a while when they just slept and they just ate and they are happy so you can take some cute pictures of them in those outfits. I have tons of clothes that we used only once or twice because of the same reasons, but I made sure we took pictures in them for the relatives to see we used their gifts :), plus they look cute in pictures also :). I really don't think anyone keeps babies in dressup clothes all the time.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup, this is what I did too. :good:

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Take my experience with a grain of salt as I do like dressing kids up, but I didn't want to be too anal about it so I picked out outfits in the morning, dressed them, and if they got dirty/spit up on I'd change them without a problem to something a little less fancy. Annabelle has a virus right now and has barfed 3xs in 12 hours... she is dressed but I'm not wasting my time with something fancy. I need her comfortable and easy in/easy out of her clothes right now.

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Me too! :D 3 of my 4 kids were born in february, they lived in sleepers for the first 3 months. My other child was born in september, she lived in short sleeved onesies! :lol:

6. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

This!
    many of those picture outfits they only wore for 30 minutes :rolleyes:
    they are so comfortable in their onesies.. who am i to argue with comfort!

7. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

With my oldest, she spent half her time in onesies and half in dresses (not dressy dresses or dress-up dresses - mama's too lazy to even unsnap the onesie dresses). So I told my mom and anyone else who asked to just get onesies, simple outfits, etc. this time around. I figured if I didn't dress up 1, I certainly wasn't going to dress up 2!

8. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

The first yr, my kids lived pretty much in footed sleepers. My mom and sis bought so many cute clothes for them. But really first yr is all about survival stage. How could you have time and energy to dress them up? I remember I ate food straight out from the fridge, even fish. I never dressed Michelle in dress or skirt. I would say until 1.5 yrs old, she shared clothes with her bro, shorts and tshirts lol. Now I don't even need to dress her up. She does all the work: pick out clothes, dress up, oh don't like it, change again :(. U know so well how that works lol. Dont feel bad. You will pretty of time to dress them up.

9. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I did a mix of these. If I felt like dressing the kids up a little or we had some special occasion I did, and I made sure to take some pictures. Once anybody got dirty or on all those "survival days", I just had them in onesies or footed sleepers most of the time.

10. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

This... we also had a lot of doctor's appointments so they were the times I dressed them up. I also always dressed them for when my mum came over which was once a week, especially in the things she bought them, they were so cute! Sometimes, if I really liked something and they were about to grow out of it and I really wanted to see them in it, I just dressed them for fun, took pics etc or if I was taking them for a walk, I'd dress them up in the morning. If they didn't get to wear them I sold them on eBay as BNWT (Brand New With Tag) :) !

11. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Heck, they are dressed! So it's all good!

12. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

We've only just started dressing the girls (who are six months old today!) in "real" clothes - i.e., actual shirts and pants, not just onesies or pajamas. But only on the days they go to daycare (3x a week) and on the weekends. When I'm home with them on Mondays, they are in PJs all day :)

We also took pictures of them in the cute outfits that relatives sent. Sometimes they never even got to wear the outfits before they outgrew them.

But if I lived in TX like you do, I'd probably dress them in short-sleeve onesies every day. Really, it was the weather here in NH that forced us to get some pants and shirts.

13. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

I rarely ever dressed mine up either. We lived in FL at the time and it was HOT and like you they lived in onesies and similar things. I never put them in dresses or anything like that, especially when they were small. They still look cute as heck in all the old pics though!

14. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My kids were December babies, but they lived in footed sleepers their first winter. I was very sad when they outgrew the one-piece outfits - we used those around the house until they were too big for them.