glucose test

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by christinam, Aug 23, 2012.

1. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I'm taking the diabetic test today. I've drank that nasty sugary drink seven times now (over 5 pregnancies) and this is the one time I was for sure I would vomit. Luckily it's still down but man is that stuff nasty!!!!

2. astewart0610

astewart0610 Well-Known Member

Yuck mine was horrible this time around, and I actually passed out right after they took blood and that has never happened. I tend to have a small problem with low blood sugar with the twins.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ugh! Hate that syrup. Found out with Emmett you can eat jelly beans instead (18). Same amout of sugar so not really sure why the jelly beans didn't make me sick but the drink did. Anyway, if you ever find yourself pregnant again, ask your provider about the jelly bean option.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, I tried to get them to use the jelly beans with Annabelle and they wouldn't do it! It was super annoying- I guess they are concerned about the brand and color and the specific number (it's not in their control as much) but jeeze the syrup is gross!

5. miss_bossy18

Boo! Yeah, even though it's an option here in Calgary it's not used that often. The lab needs written permission from your care provider and (in my case) even with that they still weren't really sure. They called a bunch of higher ups to confirm I was actually allowed to do it. It was about 45 minutes of waiting around just to start the test. Oy! But to avoid that syrup - worth it. ;)

I figure, the more women who know & ask for it, the more care providers will learn about it and offer it. As for brand, color, number, etc I was told they had to be regular jelly beans (ie not the small jelly bellies) & that I needed 18. I'm not sure why the color would matter unless some colors have more sugar then others? I can't imagine it would be enough to throw off the test though. Especially since there's some debate as to the validity of the syrup test in the first place. :pardon: Drama every where! ;)

6. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I passed! Yay! I was going to deny the 3hr unless I failed by a lot so I'm glad I passed. I really would rather not fight with the obgyn about taking the 3hr.

7. miss_bossy18

Yay! Great news. :)