losing baby teeth

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ddancerd1, Aug 14, 2012.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

my girls both have a loose tooth. ivana claims she has 3 loose teeth. i keep telling her not to force-wiggle them, to let them work on their own. they are 4yrs10mon.
    when did your kids start to lose baby teeth? did any of them force-wiggle? i'm so paranoid that they're gonna lose teeth that aren't ready to come out cuz they (ivana really) keeps wiggling!

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

The girls didn't loose any till 6. They wiggled the loose ones but not any that were solid. They did have loose teeth for a while before they actually lost any.

3. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I want to say 6, tell them not to wiggle them, Sophia had one that apparently wasnt ready to come out and it still hasnt grown back.
    OMG!! I cant believe we are talking about loose teeth with our babies!! Stop it right now!

2 people like this.
  4. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a problem from kids wiggling their teeth. My oldest 3 and one of my twins all had loose teeth before they turned 5. They lost their first teeth as young five year olds. Sometimes they were loose for many many months before actually coming out. Sometimes they noticed a tooth was loose and it was out in a matter of weeks. Sydney has lost 8 teeth, Sabrina hasn't lost any. It's been a year and a half since Sydney lost her first one. Sabrina finally has one about to come out... probably in the next week or so. It's a top tooth which is also unusual for a first tooth. She has a couple more that are just a little loose. Sydney has a couple gaps in her moth that she's had for months. She lost the last four (of the 8) in a couple weeks' time and 2 came in and 2 still haven't. That was probably 5-6 months ago.

Oh and my nephew fell off his bed when he was about 2 1/2 and knocked a front tooth out. It came in at a normal time when he was about 6 with no problems. If you're worried, talk to their dentist, but I doubt there's really any problem from their wiggling the teeth.

1 person likes this.
  5. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

My DS had a tooth knocked out at 4yr olds that still has yet to come in. But, last week he lost his first baby tooth not by force. He's going to be 7 in a couple months. My DD who's 5.5y has already lost two teeth and has another wiggly one. Her first two came out the same day she said they were loose. lol This new loose tooth is still hanging on. My DS got his first teeth around 10-11mos. My DD was 4mos. I think that makes a difference too.

6. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

One of them lost her first tooth a little earlier this summer, and the other one is going to lose her first tooth any day now. They are 6y4m.

They both had slightly loose teeth for a very long time before they came out. They wiggled, and it didn't hurt anything or speed up the process at all.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My BF has her two older boys wiggle their teeth to help get them out. Her oldest boy has the issue is that his baby teeth REALLY hang in there and his adult teeth have come in over the loose baby tooth.

Ugh, I can't believe I'll have to think about losing baby teeth soon :escape: and :cry:

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My oldest was after 7 yrs old when he first lost a tooth, my dd will be 6 in september and she has 2-3 wiggly ones but one that's really really ready to come out, I could probably pull it if she wanted me to.

I really don't think wiggling them is going to hurt. If they aren't ready they won't come out yet ;) We always wiggled our teeth once we felt them starting to loosen or if they were tender. It's normal for them to lose a tooth and it take a few months to come back in.

9. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

DD1 (age 6y 10m) had not lost a tooth yet and *maybe * has one wiggly bottom tooth.

DD2 lost her first at 5y4 m or so and the quickly lost another. She has lost them pretty steady and is at 8 lost so far-- with only 4 grown in! She has a lot of gaps in her smile!

Dentist said it is normal from 4-7 for first tooth lost, with 5/6 being most common.

10. ddancerd1

thanks, everyone! i reminded them to just let the teeth do the work themselves. one of marina's teeth IS pretty loose, but i'm not forcing anything! the only reason i found the loose teeth is because marina was complaining about biting (harder foods)was hurting her (loose) tooth.

11. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

One of my 7 year olds has lost two teeth, the other hasn't lost any! So weird.

12. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My son lost his first tooth earlier this week(5 1/2 years old) and has another lose one that will probably be out soon. DD still has all of her baby teeth.

13. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Abby lost her first one in March (at 5y10m) and then lost her second one at the same time Ian lost his first right around their 6th birthday...Ian lost his second one shortly after that in June - and so far that's it...Abby's top teeth are starting to loosen, Ian's are still tight...

14. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My oldest started losing her teeth right about age 6. For my twins, DS lost his first tooth at 5y10m and his 2nd tooth about 2 months later and DD hasn't lost any yet...and it drives her crazy. :lol: But she does have 2 loose teeth right now.

15. ddancerd1

UPDATE: ivana lost her first tooth today! marina's is still hanging on, but she thinks it'll fall out tomorrow lol anyway, i guess they were loose for a while before i actually noticed!

16. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yay for Ivana!!

Kaelyn lost her first tooth yesterday, she'll be 6 in 2 weeks, and today was the first day of kindergarten! So she went to her first day of school with a missing tooth. lol!

17. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Wow! How exciting!!! Neither of my girls have any wiggly teeth yet, but both got teeth late, so I think it will be awhile before the tooth fairy comes to our house.

18. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Amy lost hers about a month ago (just past age 6.5) and Sarah a couple of weeks ago. Both of them had adult teeth nearly grown in by the time the baby teeth finally fell out. And now they both have a second adult tooth nearly grown in, but the second baby tooth still isn't out! (Sarah's is hanging by a thread.)

Sarah was completely relieved to loose her tooth because she was afraid she was going to be the only kid in 1st grade who hadn't lost a tooth yet. She made it by one week. :ibiggrin:

19. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

HaHa! One of my DDs is petrified she will be the only person in 2nd grade that has not lost a tooth!! (and she has a *maybe* wiggly tooth....but she has 10 days till school starts) Her sister has lost 8.

20. stephsboys

stephsboys Well-Known Member

Cameron and Corey started losing theirs at 5. Corey has lost 3 including a front tooth and Cameron has lost 2. DD was freaked about it too but the dentist said it was fine.

21. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

My girls are 6. Lorien actually grew in her two bottom teeth before anything fell out. In fact, when I noticed they had started growing in (in the beginning of June), her baby teeth in that spot were barely loose. She actually lost the first one, chewing on a jumprope. Her sister yanked the jumprope away from her not realizing her tooth had gotten stuck on the material. The other tooth came out a few weeks later when funny enough, she was chewing on that same jumprope (she has a major oral fixation) and she didn't realize her tooth was stuck and she pulled at the rope and ripped it out. The tooth was actually not very loose, but it was enough pressure I guess that it came out. It left a huge hole in her mouth, but fortunately her grown up tooth was already in and it has been quickly moving forward on it's own and filling the space, just like the dentist said it would. Arwen however still does not even have a single loose tooth, but I'm guessing she'll lose at least one by the end of 1st grade.

22. ddancerd1

well, marina just lost HER first tooth (same one) yesterday! and her permanent tooth already started growing in, so now it's growing in crooked (it's further back than it should be) :unsure: i guess i'd better keep an eye on the "partner tooth" or the "opposite tooth" or whatever it's called, to make sure THAT permanent one doesn't start growing out before the baby one is ready to come out!

thanks for all your input!

23. double-or-nothing

if the tooth is on the bottom front, you will be amazing how the tooth moves itself forward into that spot. That was a huge concern of mine when Lorien had both bottom grown up teeth come in without loosing anything in front. But sure enough they have moved forward. The dentist said that because they are on the bottom the pressure of where the tongue lies in the mouth pushes the teeth forward. If it had been the upper teeth, it would have been more of a problem.

24. ddancerd1

thanks for this! i was already so worried about her teeth and the price of braces lol!

25. double-or-nothing

Ha! the dentist also told me both my girls will most likely need braces. Apparently (and I didn't know this), the grown-up teeth tend to grow in the same place the baby teeth were. I thought you kinda get a second chance with the new teeth that they might grown in a little differently. Both of my girls seem to have overbites (though you can't notice it that much when they smile, though it may look more apparent when their grown-up teeth are all in) and Lorien has a nice space between her two front teeth but also has that little muscle thing that hangs a bit low. She told me I'll have to have that muscle cut because even if she gets braces, the muscle will push the teeth apart again. My other dd still sucks her finger (she sucks her index finger upside down...strange, I know), so I'm not surprised she has an overbite. Plus some of her teeth are really close together so she said the new teeth being so big will need to find room and will probably shift the teeth around (in other words, crooked teeth here we come!). Guess I should start saving for those braces now. <_<

26. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

When it comes to teeth, my girls are freaks of nature! They both had lost 8 each by the time they were 5. I was so concerned that there was something wrong, even posted on here about it. I still have never met anyone whose children has lost as many before 5. However, my dentist assured me that they were fine, although about a year ahead of the average. My girls will definitely need braces as they just don't have enough room for all of the teeth that are coming in. Now that they are almost 7, the rate of losing teeth has slowed (I guess it has too since they have pretty much lost them all except whatever molars they are supposed to lose. My girls did wiggle theirs a bunch, but I never worried about it. I just figured that they wouldn't wiggle it if it hurt too much.