Shark teeth?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Babies4Susan, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

This has happened with both of my DDs, same tooth. But when I noticed that the permanent tooth was growing in behind G's baby tooth, her baby tooth was super loose and just about ready to come out. Now L has a permanent tooth coming in behind her baby tooth, but her tooth is only slightly loose. And the other tooth is out quite a bit.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and did you just wait it out? I made corn on the cob last night, and I'm going to buy some apples for her too, in hopes of getting it looser. The corn didn't work at all.

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This happened with my oldest DD. Before her 2 bottom baby teeth fell out her 2 bottom 2 adult teeth came in. It's pretty normal and I have heard it happening to many people before. :good: Her bottom teeth fell out just fine when they were ready....she was never one to pull teeth out. Even at almost 12, she has one baby tooth left and it's loose now and she still won't pull it out. They will fall out just fine. :good:

3. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Naomi and Luke both had shark teeth. Their dentist was not worried at all so we just waited it out, they all came out eventually (I can't remember exactly how long it took, but think weeks/months not days). If you're concerned you could phone your dentist and check but I bet they say to give it more time. :)

4. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

All my children do shark teeth, especially on their bottom teeth.

5. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

yep!! Ian had both of his adult teeth in behind his baby teeth before they loosened up and came out...dentist said its normal...

6. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Every single tooth the girls have lost except for 1 have done this. It is strange bc I never had a picture of either one of them with a gap in their smile. The dentist told us the new one just pushes the old one out. Allison did end up having to have one pulled because it was not falling out.

7. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

My girls have had the shark tooth too! The dentist has never been worried.

8. 40+mom

40+mom Well-Known Member

Just FYI. Our pedi dentist encouraged pretty aggressive "tooth wiggling" of the baby tooth once the adult tooth started to come in....

Good luck! I've got one kid that has lost one tooth (and has another really wiggly one) and one kid whose teeth are not wiggling yet at all!

Meg

9. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Thought I would follow up on this. My DD's two front teeth never came out. In fact, they stopped feeling loose for the most part. She had a cleaning appointment scheduled for 10/8, so I decided to wait it out until we saw the dentist. She didn't even get to the dentist, the hygienist almost immediately said that "he'll want to take those out" when she saw them. And that is what the dentist did, he pulled them out. Her back two that were pretty far back and he told her to push on them from the back with her tongue and they should shift into place in 2-3 months (fingers crossed this actually happens!)

The baby teeth had huge roots on them. My other DD has lost those same teeth and there was absolutely no roots at all, but L's were never going to come out on their own.

So if you have this happening, it may not hurt to at least get the dentist's opinion. At least that is my advice.

10. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Susan, wow, good thing you had an appt. I wonder if that's an usual case? :unsure:

As I mentioned above this happened to my oldest DD and actually happened to Emilie as well (after I posted in here)...she lost her 2 bottom baby teeth at the end of Aug. and her adult teeth had already started growing in...so she had the shark teeth as well. So this happend to both my girls, but not Trevor.