Maybe first complication? Ugh!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by AKilburn, Jul 13, 2012.

1. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

So I had a follow up OB appointment on Wednesday. I was totally flusterd getting there b/c he had moved offices and of course I had a lovely bout of morning sickness when I was getting ready to go and didn't want to take my phenegran b/c I had to drive. Anyway, got a late start and then of course got stuck behind every slow person on the road. Marshall was already there (amazingly he still hasn't missed an appointment with me) I told him to tell them I was running about 10 min late. I finally get there (I had a bit of road rage going on cursing at the slow pokes) and of course I knew I was going to have to do the urinalysis when I got there so I purposely didn't go before I left the house, I basically blew into the office, Marshall had already signed me in, ran the rest room, they moved someone from the ultrasound room and stuck me in there and the nurse came in, checked my BP, and it was up ... Well DUH! The stress from driving over plus still having the bronchitis and having to take my asthma meds will cause it. Anyway, my OB got real worried over my BP, although it's been normal pretty much, actually kind of low, throughout the pregnancy. So he tells me he thinks I might have preeclampsia, wanted me to get a NST, blood work, and 24 hour urine done, and he wanted to started wednesday, so I went over to L&D Triage where I'll be delivering, they got me hooked up on the monitors, did the blood work, started the urine test, BP was fine, bloodwork was fine, and the babies were great and very active (kept running away from the monitors, lol). Anyway he wanted me to go back for a NST today, so I did, and by then he had the result of the 24 protein test, he didn't come into see me (I was in L&D triage) but he told the nurse that it was a little elevated but not to the point of needing to deliver and my BP was fine. He said my baseline had been 200 at the beginning of the pregnancy and it was at 250 with this last protein test. He reiterated being on bed rest and made an appt for wednesday for me to go see him again.

So my question is, what's a normal protein test? And what is the point that it ends up being bad and needing hospitalization and delivery? I really don't want to have to deliver at 34 weeks (he said he'd do whatever he could to get me to 34), I want to go further obviously, but I guess I just don't know if I should really be worried right now or not. He did tell me to get my hospital bag ready just in case.

So what do y'all think? I wish he had come in today so I could talk to him, a little frustrated over that b/c I have questions and I want to ask him but can't till wednesday :gah:

2. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I think your doc freaked unnecessarily...he should have kept you in the office on your left side for half hour and taken it again...I wouldn't worry too much...

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

ITA!

4. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

They actually put me in the hospital for suspected pre-e. I passed the 24 hour urinalysis even though my Bp was spiked that day( it was my first visit to new High risk doc so I think that caused it). Drink lots of water and take it easy and hopefully the next time he test it will be more normal

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also agree.

My bp started slowing rising around 32 weeks or so with my oldest son. Every time they'd have me lay on my left side for 20-30 mins and check again, and it was fine. I was on modified bedrest at home, with the recommendation to lay on my left side as much as possible. I did the 24 hr urine catch and nothing. I did end up on bp pills, the day my bp was 170/120 I think it was?? Maybe 190/120.....my son is 10 so that was a long time ago!! :lol: Anyways I was started on bp pills that day and took them until shortly after I had my son. Still no other signs of pre-e, just high bp. I went to 36 wks when my water broke.

6. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I too can't believe he didn't have you lay on your left side for 20-30 mins!! I have read that less than 300 is where you want the protein to be, but of course could be different in different labs. I had pre-e with my first and the start of it when I delivered my twins. They never based anything on the bp alone. I hope you are able to talk to your dr tomorrow to get some answers!

7. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

I know he's being cautious but dang! I think he did go a bit overboard. But then again, I guess I'd rather that than someone who just let things go considering i'm a high risk pregnancy to begin with. I go back Wednesday to see him, so we'll see what happens then. And Jen, yeah they said that 250 was a little higher than it was in the beginning but not to the point of needing to be delivered or anything. I don't think it was just the BP, my feet and hands are pretty swollen and that came on quickly and I have bronchitis and he said something about pre-e can also cause fluid on the lungs or something like that, I'll be honest the minute he said "hospital stay" I kind of tuned him out, lol, I'm not good with staying the hospital plus I was thinking about everything that I still need to do and I don't have my hospital bag packed, lol.

8. DannyT

DannyT Well-Known Member

AK hope he didn't scare you but I do agree I'de prefer a careful doc to one who doesn't pay attention. You are making me think I need to get off my duff and pack a bag just in case.

It seems so daunting!!

Take care and I hope the breathing and the swelling gets better soon! I'm finding my feet will swell with lack of sleep and then if I take a few naps the next day on my left side they go right down.

Good Luck!

9. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

You are about 35 weeks now correct? Let's say that you did have high levels of protein in your urine and an elevated bp; when this is the case your OB and/or Peri would go ahead and admit you for a 24 hour urine analysis and then proceed from there once the results come back. Also try not to stress too much because you have reached a point in your pregnancy, multiple or otherwise, that is considered "safe" for delivery. It is also common for women carrying singletons to show signs and symptoms of pre-e around 34 weeks also. If the levels are low some doctors will send you home and wait it out and attempt to let nature take its course.

In any event, it's my belief that with any high risk pregnancy no matter the number of fetuses, it's better to be on the safe side and be overly cautious then not.

For what it's worth, I was taken into triage for contractions at 31 weeks in which the nurses found protein in my urine sample. My doctor's then admitted me for the 24 hour analysis which came back positive for having too much protein and diagnosed me with pre-e. I was hospitalized on strict bedrest from 31 weeks to 33 weeks and delivered at 35 weeks to avoid an emergency. As it turned out my toxicity levels were through the roof and we delivered at just the right time.

My boys are completely healthy and will be 3 on Monday.

Good luck to you! :D