Early waking and daycare naps

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MrsWright, May 2, 2012.

1. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So my boys dropped naps in the fall right before they turned 3 bc it was royally screwing up bedtime! It was fine for awhile with them napping at daycare on my work days (3x/week) bc they had to get up early and they were wiped out by the end of the day that they still went to bed fine. Fast forward.....the daycare says they are "trying" to keep them up but yesterday the one teacher told me Jack "begged me to bounce him on his cot"....please! I don't buy it for a second that they are trying to help us with our needs bc what happens is they are super tired from getting up early but then they get their nap and are wound until about 8-830....then they are up at 5, 530, 6....and we have to force them back in bed until at least 7...their stoplight alarm clock is set for 715.

What do I do? I like the daycare, they have all learned so much that I know they wouldn't have learned at home or with my MIL (who is retiring this month and I know wants to watch them) but I can't take the fighting and screaming, and eventually spanking at bedtime! They have always been this way...the later to bed-- the earlier to rise! On my days off when they don't nap and we run around they go to bed fine (mostly, they are 3 afterall;)) and sleep until at least 7 so I know its the nap screwing them up!

HELP!!!

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

How long is the nap? Any way to ask them to make it a short one? Or make it earlier in the day? I don't know how early you have to get them up when you go to work, but I can understand why they would want a nap if it's really early. It's a bit tough to say when we don't really have all the information (when did they start fighting bedtime etc).

3. MrsWright

They sleep for about 1.5hrs, sometimes shorter usually not longer. They get up on my workdays (M,T,F) anywhere from 620-650 depending on if I'm taking them to daycare or my DH. They have been fighting bedtime for about 2 months, the last month really bad! I can tell they are tired but they just can't relax bc they have this little spurt of energy caused from the nap. They can't make it earlier in the day bc of what time preschool is for the older kids and they have a blocked off rest time. I have asked them to shorten it but I just don't think they are considering what we want....I'm sure they want a break as well!

4. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

Sounds like to me they need the nap and and earlier bedtime too. I cannot recommend enough this book: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child Turned our kids sleeping habits around and I know several other parents that swear by it!

Good luck

5. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

My boys attend preschool 3 days a week. It is actually a state regulation that requires them to lay down for a certain period of time. For preschool age in our state it is 30 minutes but due to a lot of the kids this age still napping they have to lay down for 2 hours. I cannot ask them to keep them up. It just doesn't work with the number of kids in the room. It is just not possible to cater to all the kids regarding sleep. Nor would I ask them to do so.

Mine gave up napping at home at age 2. 4 days a week they go to bed at 6-6:30 and get up at 6-6:30. 3 days a week bedtime depends on if they nap or not at school which they do about once or twice a week usually only for 30 minutes to an hour but it is enough for me to push bedtime back an hour. But wake up time is still 6-6:30 regardless of what time they go to bed. Basically I keep their wake up time consistant daily which means they go to bed earlier 4 days a week and if they nap at school they go to bed an hour later. I sometimes hate evenings when they go to school and have taken a nap. It can make bedtime painful some nights.

6. MrsWright

This sounds right on the money with our dilemma except when I'm off and they don't have to get up they usually sleep til 7-715.
    I should clarify that their bedtime is not 8-830, it is between 630-730. So on workdays they get up at roughly 630, nap at daycare for 1.5hrs, then bedtime at *starting* at 630, they usually aren't asleep until 8-830....then waking at 5-530!! Today was my day off...they were up early at 7 (after waking multiple times throughout the night to pee and be covered) and no nap...they are in bed at 7:02...quiet and most likely asleep. Tomorrow they will probably sleep until 7 and same again with bedtime. Friday I work so they will be waking early and then napping and then bedtime will be hell and then Saturday am, they'll be up at the monkeys crack of dawn!
    This is why I know its the naps at daycare messing with them. I guess I should ask them to limit it to 30 mins but really I just don't think they care enough to try bc they are getting *their* breaks.

7. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Could the sleep issues also be related to the fact that their days at daycare are more stressful for them?
    How long do they have with mom or dad at home before they have to go to bed after daycare? Is there enough time to talk about their day apart from you, settle back in at home, have some time with at least one parent and some play time before the bedtime routine starts?

Some children do find daycare, being among so many people and dealing with the noise levels, rules, mor einteractions and frustrations, stressful so they need to nap at daycare to give themselves (as well as the caregivers) a break. These children also need home-time to settle in before they are ready to relax for the night, e.g. a "time-in" with mom, a few minutes of one on one time etc. Some children also need more fresh air and exercise after a daycare nap than the daycare provides, we always go outside when we come home from daycare, reagrdless of the weather. Maybe tweaking your routines after daycare will help to make some difference at bedtime?

8. MrsWright

Hmmm, I've never thought of that before bc they've been at this daycare since they were 3 months old. They have both DH and I at home in the morning so from 630ish til we drop them off at 730, if DH drops them off its closer to 8. At night we get home no later than 445-5pm and we are both home (except right now DH is busy planting, he's a farmer).

9. Boberr

Boberr Member

Oh, that is necessary to create a daily regime for your children. I hope that the situation will stabilize

10. BillShiphr

BillShiphr Well-Known Member

Hi there. First of all, the schedule depends on a daycare. Some scientists say that naps during the day are good for people's health. Of course, not every adult can afford it, but kids can. During a nap, the brain of a child relaxes and it has time to process all the information it has by that moment. My kid is in one of the daycares in Brooklyn https://littlescholarsnyc.com/. I like their system and how they plan a day. Children have classes, entertainment activities, naps, and meal breaks.

11. Jerrio

Jerrio New Member

Hi there! I just want to say that your post helped me to choose a reliable daycare. No matter if it was advertising or not (I hope not), your advice has worked. I have contacted Little Scholars preschools Brooklyn. As I got it, they have a chain of daycares. So, there are several centers in Brooklyn. I am quite new here. So, I am happy that my daughter will go there for free. She will probably get a good education there and will be ready for her school! Also, I've checked their menu. I appreciate they also have casher options.