Fighting Sleep

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by haleystar, Apr 22, 2012.

1. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

Anyone ever give your tots warm milk after bath to help with calming down for bed time??

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Not I... frankly I don't think it would calm my two, I don't think it's ever helped me either... As far as I know, there's no scientific proof that warm milk actually helps falling asleep.

3. haleystar

It's not that DH brought it up to help them sleep because once they calm down they sleep fine on their own it was that it might help to calm them down since none of our tactics are currently working. Have you had success with any methods that help calm your LO's down before bed?

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My sister does with her kids, she calls it hot chocolate and just warms a little choc milk up. I don't with my kids bc JT is up 1,344x a night to pee anyways <_<

5. BaileyandMarleysMom

BaileyandMarleysMom Well-Known Member

A friend of mine just recently recommended we try warm milk with our very active 2. She says it works like a charm for her almost 5 year old. But, we really are trying not to give milk at all right before bed after teeth brushing.

Honestly, I could just run away from home so I don't have to deal with bedtime some days...most days. Recently we tried calms forte for kids and it really, really does seem to work for us. It's homeopathic and all natural, so it can't really hurt. I'm glad we tried it. Maybe read up on it online or ask your pediatrician about it.

6. haleystar

I used a lot of your advice last night ladies. No milk or snack after bath time and then instead of allowing them to watch one of their favorite shows I put on a show called "Bedtime Stories" (I think anyway), it's offered by the Sprout Channel as a special feature.

Anyhow, it was 30 minutes of watching some of their favorite Sesame Street characters sleep along with the rest of the Sprout characters. It was much easier to keep them still and if they start talking I would just quietly say "shhhh, night night, they're sleeping" and they'd usually snuggle back up next to me. Towards the end Alex could barely keep his eyes open and River was having the same problem during the latter portion of the show but unfortunately pulled his same tricks for refusing bed when it was over.

Ah well, trying again tonight. Fingers crossed.