Probiotics vs Prebiotics

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Bumbleebee82, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Bumbleebee82

Bumbleebee82 Active Member

So, I read a couple of posts somewhere around here about someone (or a couple people) switching what formula they were using to the Nestle Good Start stuff... because of the probiotics? I don't know the first thing about probiotics, so I decided to look on what formula WE are using (the standard Enfamil), and it has PREbiotics. So I decided to look up the difference, and according to what I read, it seems it WOULD be more beneficial to have probiotics than prebiotics. This is what I read:

Though the words sound similar, probiotics and prebiotics are not one and the same. Probiotics---sometimes touted on yogurt containers---are living microorganisms (often bacterial) similar to those found naturally in the human body. Prebiotics, on the other hand, are nondigestible, nonliving substances that interact with naturally present microorganisms.

Probiotics: The "Good" Bacteria

The human body requires beneficial bacteria to assist with an array of functions, from digestion to support of the immune system. Dietary supplements or foods that contain these beneficial enzyme-producing bacteria can be described as "probiotic." The World Health Organization and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations formally define probiotics as "live microorganisms, which, when administered in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host."

Prebiotics: Helping the Good Bacteria

Prebiotics are derived from insoluble fiber and fructooligosaccharides (the sugars often found in fruits and honey); they are carbohydrates that selectively stimulate growth and/or activity upon contact with intestinal microflora. For instance, they are said to assist in the absorption of calcium and the development of good bacteria. The definition of prebiotics is very similar to that of dietary fiber, except for the issue of selectivity.

So... I need help. I can't ask my girls' pediatrician because, well.. it's Friday night... and if it would help them stop being so darn gassy and fussy, I'd rather they start on the different formula sooner than later. I'm working toward exclusively breastfeeding, so we are only supplementing with the formula, but right now still at least half of their nutrition comes from formula, so this could very well be a factor in their well being.

2. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

I used to give (Still now if they are on antibiotics) probiotics to my kids to help with reflux and gas. However, the gas issue, i belive it has lot to do with age. Reflux and gas issue get every bad around 3 months, then get better around 4, then hit hard at 6 then get better after that.

Usually when you change their formual, you need to give them 1-2 weeks so their bodies adjust to the new formula before they decide 'i like/dislike it'. Formulas dont work that fast in their tiny bodies. Since they are very little, you would ask their pedi before I switch their formula. I know its so hard at this point. Just hang in there. It will get better!

3. Bumbleebee82

I know that all babies are different, (heck even my identical girls are different), but I never had to give my son formula, and he never had a problem with gas or spitting up or excessive fussiness. I do tend to blame formula for a lot of the problems the girls are having. I'm kind of resentful that I had to start supplementing in the first place. I do have to be thankful there IS such a thing for situations such as mine, although I guess otherwise, back in the day I would have had the help of a wet nurse.

But anyway... I'm just frustrated. I really wish I could talk to a ped right now.

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Rather than changing formula, you could try just adding a probiotics supplement. We used one called Primadophilus Children. It comes in powder form that you can mix in with their formula once a day. All our local health food stores have it, but it can also be ordered online. I don't think there's any reason they can't have both the prebiotics and probiotics.

5. Bumbleebee82

From what I've read, they work best in conjunction, anyway. I think they were just going through an increase. They were back to normal yesterday, lol. I will talk to their pediatrician though.