crying while eating and 8- midnight

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Tobaira, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Tobaira

Tobaira Well-Known Member

So my girls have started a new trick - crying while we are trying to feed them. It's become more and more frequent over the past 4-5 days and it's just driving me insane - I know they want to eat because in between the crying they are trying to guzzle down their bottle. It doesn't happen at all the feedings, but 2 or 3 is enough!

Also anyone have any advice for getting them on a better sleep schedule? Right now they are on a 4 hour schedule for eating and seem pretty ok on it. The problem is they don't settle down at night after we feed them at 8:30pm and they end up fussing until the 12:30am feeding. It's the only feeding they won't settle down after. Last night I got one to settle down after it, but then she fussed between 12:3am and 4:30am (which is so much worse!). I thought maybe their internal clocks were off so I've tried to make sure they are up more during the day but it doesn't seem to help. We don't want to take them off the schedule because it seems to be working well for the most part (and with my health issues I have to have some solid sleep). Any ideas?

oh and the girls are 11 wks today (3 wks adjusted).

2. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

4 hours is pretty long stretch to go without eating. Have you considered trying every three hours during the day and every four at night and see if that helps?

Just wanted to add, maybe they are going through a growth spurt.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The fussing could be reflux, or silent reflux. Do they burp a lot? Restless sleep can also indicate silent reflux. Lots of spit up can be a sign, but little/no spit up can be a sign too. Do they grimace or squirm when they are sleeping? Are you burping them at least once, maybe even twice during their bottles?

I agree that 4 hrs is a very long time between feedings. Try every 3 hrs during the day and they should stretch out their nighttime feedings soon. My kids have never gone 4 hrs between feeds, even now, they need snacks every couple hours or so. Their stomach's are just not big enough to hold enough to go that long between eating. It will probably alleviate their nighttime fussies if they get more foods in during the day.

4. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I would burp extra and watch out for reflux!!!

What Dani said! :D

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Four hours between feedings might be too much for three week olds. I'd try every three hours during the day and four at night (unless they wake up hungry, of course). And I agree that crying during eating and the fussing after feeding could be a sign of reflux. Make sure you're keeping them upright after feedings for thirty minutes if possible. And if things don't get better, talk to your pedi about reflux... good luck!

6. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Just jumping in on this... One of my guys does a lot of squirming, but only at night. He has definitely started spitting up more and doesn't always yield a burp, no matter what we do. Could this still be reflux if it only happens at night? If so, what do we do? If not, any other thoughts on what this could be?

Thx

7. Danibell

The not burping makes me think he's just got gas at night. Try burping in different positions, not just on your shoulder. Try sitting him up, with your hand propping his chest, neck and head, and patting him on the back with your other hand. Try laying him across your knees and patting/rubbing his back. You can also try gripe water, it helps them burp, a warm pad ( not hot) across their tummy, or bicycling his legs in the air, lay him on his back on a firm surface and pretend he's pedaling a bike up in the air.

During the day, does he sleep propped up (in a swing, bouncy seat or carseat)? Or does he lay flat? What about at night? If he's sleeping propped during the day, but laying flat at night, it could be reflux. Try keeping him upright for 30 mins after feeding him at night. I usually let my kids sleep on my chest for a bit while I closed my eyes as well. That lets the milk or formula settle and digest a bit before you lay them flat.

8. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Thanks so much Danibell! Esp. for the additional burp strategies. DH loves the bicycle technique, however the baby does NOT. :)

He lies flat day and night so unlikely to be positional. He does sit up more during the day though, because he's awake, being held etc. so that may make a difference. We'll try sitting up more @ night but are challenged because of fatigue (which we accept as part of this crazy ride) and because we are seeing a pattern of him needing to be held in order to fall asleep, which is great when you can do it but is not always feasible when I'm alone with them during the day. Ideally, he won't need to be held to fall, and sometimes stay, asleep. At any rate, we'll keep trying!!!

9. Tobaira

thanks for the advice everyone! I think we are going to try and go down to every 3.5hrs during the day and 4 hrs at night and see how that goes. They aren't the greatest burpers but usually we get at least 2-3 out of them during the feedings. They only spit up occasionally. They do pass alot of gas the other direction though! They seem like they are always tooting! I'll work on keeping them more upright after the feedings and see if that helps - and of course cutting down the time between feeds. Maybe they are getting too hungry and then eating too fast.

10. Danibell

I totally understand ;) If he wants to be held to fall asleep, try swaddling him extra tight, with more than one blanket. It lets them feel like they are still being cuddled even if they aren't. You can also roll up blankets and snug them up beside him in the crib so he feels cuddled.

Also, you can incline their crib mattress a bit. Fold up a blanket so it's nice and level and slip it under one end or side of the mattress (depending on which way you are laying him in there). If his head is at one end, slide the blanket under that end. If he/they are laying sideways, slip it under the side where his head is. Not under the sheets, under the whole mattress itself. Alternatively you can use books under the feet of the crib too, you just have to make sure they are the same height. Just that little incline can help keep the milk/formula from coming back up and bothering them at night. This also works for when they have a stuffy nose or congested cough, it helps keep things draining at night ;)

11. Danibell

I think you plan sounds good ;) Are they taking breastmilk or formula? I only ask, because formula can cause excess gas and/or tummy issues like constipation. A few drops of gas drops in a bottle or right before a bottle can help too. :)

12. Tobaira

They are on formula - I'm on way too many meds to be able to breastfeed. Today was the first day trying to move them to 3.5 hrs and it has been a bit painful. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to get used to the new order of things. I will also keep the gas drops in mind. Thanks again!