When was the last time you went on vacation?

Discussion in 'General' started by becasquared, Mar 1, 2012.

1. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Like, pack your stuff, stay in a hotel for a week at a place, and do touristy things? I do not count visiting family as vacation.

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Right before I got pg with my boys who are 4. They were concieved via IVF so we had an idea of a date. We drove from Chicago to Memphis and drove through Tennessee. If it worked, we knew it would be awhile until we could take a trip.

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Just this past Nov. we went to Disney World! :)

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oy. Well good, Italy doesn't count!

We went to Disney World in November. It was our first family vacation with the kids(aside from camping in the summer) where it was *just* us-no reinforcements! Lol!

Dh and I are going to Naples, Fl in July :faint: for our anniversary Mon-Sat. His parents have a house there, so why not take advantage of it? Plane was $500 for us both round trip, so not too bad overall.

And how hot is it really in July? We may never leave the a/c house!

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The week after September 11th for me. Rarely had the money to do anything, and now that I have A&R, still don't have the money. We're hoping to go to Disney this summer, but it's where my family lives, so it's more of a "visit the family and go to Disney while you're already down there", not a "go to Disney and then visit the family".

It makes me sad that we don't go anywhere but visit the family.

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we've done a few long weekends with the kids but the last "real" vacation was probably a week in the Finger Lakes in 2004...after that we concentrated on getting pregnant so a few long weekends here and there but we were hoarding money in case we needed IVF...I'm shooting for DisneyWorld in November 2013 or early 2014after I graduate pass the NCLEX and get a job! Disney for us will probably be close to $5K so we have to do some mad saving

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Amen! We went on our honeymoon in '07 and have done weekend trips here and there all in state. Then, since having the boys in '09, we've been to MI to visit family twice. We are supposed to go back this June, too. I'm so sick of going back but some of the trips are almost unavoidable- 2 grandmas have died and DH's brother is getting married this year and he's the best man. I vow the next trip we take is not back to MI!

It's funny, all the Disney threads last year made me think that this year we'd take the boys to Disney right before they turned 3... Instead they are getting a baby sister this year. :lol:

8. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think our last real full vacation was last May. We left on a Wednesday night and drove to Hilton Head. It is around a 14 hour drive. We drove home on Sunday all day. Last trip before that was in June/July 2010, we went to Disney followed by 2 nights at universal.

9. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

The beach house over July 4 with my family would be it for us. I know you're not counting visiting family, but I think that's as close as it's going to get for many years! It's a good time and we're going to make a yearly thing of it, so I choose to count it! ;) Beach, pool, excessive eating, excessive drinking, going out to eat, visiting parks and aquariums = vacation.

We went to Mexico on our honeymoon 5.5 years ago, but I was sick. Besides that I have gone to Europe for a week with my girlfriends (no Paul), he's gone to Italy with school (no me), and I take an annual girls' weekend with my best friends. We suck at vacationing together- it's just never been how we choose to spend our money. When we have a little extra cash (since we're paying off student and medical debt, we live pretty tight) we tend to put the money into our house.

Um, next time you go to HH you had better call me! That's entirely too close not to make a visit happen!

ALL POINTS BULLETIN: If you are in NC ANYWHERE at ANYTIME, call me! I want to see you ladies! ;)

10. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We do visiting family as vacations. Our family is scattered around everywhere, so we all use each other as free hotels. We haven't done a bigger trip in a while because of dh's job and how vacation time has played out. (He only gets 12 day of vacation a year right now and they are looking at requiring him to use 3 days of vacation for the 4th of July and they are requiring him to use 3 days of vacation between xmas and new year's. That leaves him with 6 days which this year is partly going to be used to go to Oklahoma City for Sarah to have surgery which can't be done here. No longer vacations this year.)

The last time we stayed in a hotel was when we went to Dallas when the twins were 2.

We also went to Houston when the twins were in kindergarten. We did NASA, Galveston and all the tourist things. We did stay with dh's aunt.

We go to Lake of the Ozarks and stay at dh's grandfathers house that is right on the lake. Various family usually joins us while we're there.

Next year (when we have vacation again and Southwest Airlines comes to Wichita and brings us cheaper airfare), I really, really want to fly out to San Diego and stay with my grandmother. We can visit the beach and go to Sea World and the San Diego Zoo. I don't consider it less of a vacation just because we'll be staying with my grandmother, who is an absolute blast.

Marissa

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We mostly travel to see family or for work that we turn into mini-vacas. So while we travel several times a year, its been awhile since we did a family vacation. Last June we spent a couple days out in Montauk (about 2 hr drive from us). We went to the Cape the year before, but again a long weekend. I've been trying to plan Disney, but the cost of the whole thing is giving me panic attacks so I haven't booked yet.

12. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ahhh...Disney. It's amazing what ONE kid adds onto the final tally! Annabella was free last year-but now-she adds almost $2,000 to the total! Say what?!?!

The inlaws want us to take the kids to Naples in the fall. I was hoping they would bite the bullet with a chance to go to Disney with the kids. They didn't fall for it. ;) If we do it, we are debating driving vs flying. And if we drive, it would be a two week vacation at least. DH would stop in Orlando and do a day at MK and then continue onto Naples the following day(four hour drive).

We've been bit by the Disney bug! :laughing:

13. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Last vacation... March 2008, a trip to the Finger Lakes wine tasting with my girlfriends. (Though, I should mention that my DH has had two, week long vacations since the twins were born!)

We haven't braved a family vacation with kiddos. My guys have never slept anywhere but home or my parent's house.

*Sigh* We are due!!

14. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Oh if we are counting solo vacations, my last girls trip was last May to a spa in northern Michigan!

15. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

We go every fall to Disney in some form (cruise, resort etc...). I feel it is very imprtant for us as a family to do 1 family vacation a year.

1 person likes this.
  16. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

This past August we went for a week in Charleston, SC. Our main purpose for going was a friends wedding, but we stayed a whole week and did touristy stuff too. In Dec. 2010 my husband and I took our belated honeymoon, left the kids with the grandparents for a week. Before that, nada. Now we do a lot of weekend trips to visit family.

We are moving to Florida in two weeks (hold me!) and I'm hoping we can do Disney while we are there. We'll still be pretty far from it, but it's closer than Maryland!! Also hoping to do some weekend trips to New Orleans and see as much as we can of the gulf coast and surrounding areas.

17. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I cant afford vacations. Maybe some day....
    The last one I took was in 2007 my mom took me my sister and my daughter to San Diego for a girls trip, before that it was a trip paid for by my husbands office to Vegas and before that it was a trip with our friends to Cancun.

We are taking the kids to Omaha about 2 hours away to stay in a hotel and visit the zoo, does that count? :laughing:

18. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Using your definition, the last vacation I was on was a cruise without the kids last February. Any time the kids are involved, I can't consider it a vacation. They are work no matter where we are.

3 people like this.
  19. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

March 2005 DH and I went to St. Martin. It was a wonderful vacation. Saturday we leave for Disneyworld, so I am very close to another vacation.

20. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Last May, we went to Disney World for a week. About 1y3m before that, we went on a cruise. Prior to that we had not done any vacations with them other than visiting family. But they do great on the plane and everywhere else, so now we vacation more. :)

We were supposed to leave for a cruise on Sunday, but DH got a promotion so we canceled that trip and we are booked to go to Florida in August. We're staying in Orlando and doing Discovery Cove, Sea World, and Aquatica, then going to Busch Gardens, and then staying at the beach for a couple days.

As for next year, I'm working my DH for Hawaii. Would love to go there, I've never been. And I (and DH) have traveled a lot pre-kids.

21. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

June 2011 the five of us, plus my in-laws, brother-in-law, and my parents all (we didn't contribute financially, the bill was footed by both sets of parents :wub:) rented a house on Topsail Island, NC for a week. It was WONDERFUL!

We are taking our oldest DS to Disney World this summer and leaving the little guys with the grandparents in June 2012. I don't anticipate another vacation until the little guys are 6 or 7 and we go back to Disney.

22. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We took a "babymoon" when I was pg with the boys to Gatlinburg, TN....so August 2008. We go every summer to the zoo 2.5 hours away and the waterpark that is with it, but my SIL lives there too...so I guess that turns into visiting family;)

We are thinking of doing Gatlinburg again next summer when Hannah will be 3 and the boys 4.5---what do you think!?!?

23. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Disney last January. Before that, it had been pre-kids--fall of 2006.

We have done a lot of weekends. I tend to do a couple girl trips a year--one to Chicago and one to Minnesota where my friend's inlaws have a cabin on the lake. We have been with the kids to Columbus OH when DH ran the Marathon and to Oglebay in West Virginia with my parents.

Now that the kids are older, we will go more. We are going to Maine in June and to Disney for two weeks for their birthday next February--a weeklong cruise and a week in the parks.

My parents always did one a year, no matter how broke we were. One year we borrowed an RV and went camping. But they thought it was a priority, and I tend to agree. When the kids are 6+, we will probably start traveling internationally (actually I guess we are on the cruise).

24. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

The whole family together or just me (or me and hubs)?

The whole family together (not visiting family since that was our usual family vacation for years) = 2004 to Washington DC

Just me = August 2011 with girlfriends to Hilton Head for a week

Just Lou and the boys = October 2011 to Charleston, SC

Just Lou and I = February 2012 to Asheville, NC for a stay at The Grove Park Inn (complements of my bosses for Christmas)

NOTE: we are wayyyyy overdo for a family vacation which we are rectifying this summer by going, all FIVE of us plus the dog, to Hilton Head for an entire week in honor of an *ahem* big birthday for me. It is my only request. :D :good:

25. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

We go on a big family vacation at least every other year. On our off years we do day trips around home. We went to Disney, Universal and Sea World last year. We were planning to go to Yellow Stone next year for 3 weeks but Dh's job situation canceled that trip so we will probably go back to Disney in Feb.

If nothing else I need to get away from my home for a few days. The kids have always been good travelers so its not anymore work to go on vacation than it is to stay home and break up fights, clean up after them. At least on vacation they are too tired to fight with each by the end of the day. :)

26. ljcrochet

Kim,
    When are you going to Hilton Head? We are also going back in the beginning of the summer.

27. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

Using the parameters given in the OP, the last time I went on vacation was my honemoon 10+ years ago.

However, we tell the kids we are taking a vacation every year and so far, they've been happy with our little trips. Usually we pack up the truck and take a 3-4 day camping trip through Yellowstone National Park. Now that the kids are getting older, it has become a little more fun and a little less nightmarish as far as the amount of work that trip entails. We just love YNP and it's only about 1.5 hours from our house.

Last year, instead of YNP, we drove to Idaho for 2 days to go to Silverwood Theme Park. We stayed in a hotel and brought my dad with us to help with the ratio of kids to adults since we knew the boys wouldn't be able to go on all the rides. I consider that a bona fide vacation just because of the amount of money we spent! Far more than our usual camping trips through the park!

I don't know if we'll be able to take the kind of vacation where we pack up and spend several days in a hotel and do touristy things, but our version of vacations work for us, give us great family time and build wonderful memories . . . and I think that's the crux of what vacations are all about anyway. (but I really want to take the kids to Disney! I really do!!! Airfare is what kills us!)

28. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I forgot about the trip to Hawaii in Sept 07 - although that bill was 90% footed by the company as Tony earned his CPCU designation and the conference was on Oahu...we left the kids (then 17 months old) with my parents for a week...

29. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Sometime around the 23rd of June or the week prior. :D So beautiful! (DH is still working on it.)

30. ECUBitzy

I'll be at Kure that week! One short ferry ride away!

1 person likes this.
  31. ljcrochet

How close are you to HH? We are going back this summer.

32. ECUBitzy

It's about three hours from me but less than 40 from my best friend. We'll be at Kure Beach the week of July 4 and that's not 20 minutes away!

33. DinaJ

DinaJ Well-Known Member

We're big on vacations in our family. I live for them. Or I'd go insane. I always have a vacation that I'm planning/working on. It's like a hobby! :)

DH and I just went to Hawaii for a week and got back Friday night. I loved it, and I know it's important to have quality time with your spouse, but I feel more comfortable when we all go together. Now that my kids are teens, I got a lot of texts by the pool about how things were not going well with grandma and grandpa at home. It's just more relaxing for me if we're all together! That said, my oldest is nearly 17 and I'm looking forward to a time when she can watch her brothers so we can get away alone again in a couple of years. I think the grandparents watching the kids were more stressful than if she watches them. Plus they'll all be a couple of years older.

Love my vacations!

34. TwinPeshi

TwinPeshi Well-Known Member

My last holiday was December/January (New Zealand/Samoa/American Samoa) and the next one is in April (Niue). When I visit my family, I normally try to include one or more stop overs (or ~24 hour connections). I don't spend that much money because I am quite good at taking advantage of frequent flyer points and mistake fares. I also don't have children which makes trips more affordable.

35. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

In 12 years, we have yet to go on vacation. We even had to forfeit our honeymoon when the ceiling collapsed (burst pipes) in our living room the day before our wedding... :faint:

I am praying that 2012 is the YEAR!! Pray with me y'all PUH-LEEEZE!!

1 person likes this.