For those of you that have taught preschool how much paper did you use per week?

Discussion in 'General' started by christinam, Jan 15, 2012.

1. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

For those of you that have taught preschool how much paper did you use per week? It seems like we go through a ton. I plan and have an outline and schedule. I will eventually have it on the computer instead but right now I like have a paper copy in my hand. We have art projects, cutting, and all the worksheets. It just seems like we're using a ton of paper. I have started laminating some papers so I can reuse them next year with my DD2 and years following with the twins. It just seems we go through SO much paper.

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I don't actually use that much paper with my little ones, because I'm very low key about preschool/kindergarten. I use more for my older kids (and I print a lot of grocery coupons), but mostly that's printing out out of print books, since it's so much harder to read on the computer. I buy paper by the box, not the ream, and try to get it when Staples or Office Max have big rewards on paper.

3. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I didn't use that much paper for preschool, either. We used one sheet for each kids of lined paper to go along with Teach Your Child to Read. We also used some with crafts. But, almost everything else was hands-on. I know you are using a curriculum that requires a lot of paper, though. I also didn't do much planning until K and then I kept it on the computer.

Starting in K, I started using a ton. We were doing a lot of 1st grade work, so we had lots of worksheets. A lot of things, like copywork, I put in sheet protectors. We work on them over and over with dry erase markers. That saves on a ton of paper. Plus, sheet protectors are cheaper than laminating sheets.

4. christinam

I supplement the B4FIAR with homeschool share material and that's where all the extra paper comes in. This manual for B4FIAR doesn't even have us picking up a sheet of paper for our book this week. I'm going to make an effort to use the sheet protectors more. The only reason I laminated the copy work this week is because I put it on the back side of the game on Homeschool Share. The dry erase doesn't erase as easily off laminated sheets so sheet protectors our best.

5. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I used to laminate only certain sheets and then just rinse them off with running water. You can also use transparency markers.

I actually use much more paper for my middle school DSs's math than the preschoolers. I do plan on recycling it all, but we go through so much. White boards just don't cut it. We like to review the work and you can't do that with a white board.

The little ones just use their workbooks.

6. christinam

I have a really cool preschool book that I have for DD. I'm using it more as a supplement. DD2 will have the same workbook next year but it will be her main workbook. I'll add sheets here and there to supplement. Teaching preschool was a great trial year. I have so many things I want to change for next year.

7. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Every single year I want to change something. The big boys are in need of many curriculum changes coming up. It's always a daunting task.

8. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

This is the first year I haven't felt much of that. What a relief! I'm adding a writing program with my 2 oldest, but that's about it.