how long do you go by adjusted age?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lbzg, Nov 14, 2011.

1. lbzg

lbzg Well-Known Member

my girls were 7 weeks early and are about to turn 18 months..but developmenmtally should they be at a 16 months level?

2. mandywellman

mandywellman Well-Known Member

my girls are 19 months old, but were about 5.5 weeks, i dont count it anymore. When they were up until about 5months I would go by adjusted age, but not anymore.

3. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I only mention adjusted age to the doctor, but I still do it (at 22 months). I was told that they should be (mostly) caught by two and that we can stop using adjusted/actual then.

4. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Ditto this (both my sets of twins were 8 weeks early and I adjusted for them until around two). They earlier they were the longer you need to adjust for, but two is a good general guideline.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with two years - my girls were 6 weeks early & their doc adjusted until two (more for growth than development as despite their prematurity they still seemed to hit all their milestones at their actual age).

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I was told one year for each month premature. 4 weeks premature, go by adjusted age for one year. 5-8 weeks premature go by adjusted age for 2 years. 9-12 weeks premature go by adjusted age for three years.

Edited to remove weird double posting.