Pressure and Swelling

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Amycplus, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,

I've noticed a change in the last couple of days. It used to be that when I would be tired or over do it I would feel pressure in my nether regions. Now, it seems to be all the time. Even after a night's sleep it doesn't go away. I decided to take a look and things are SWOLLEN. I have no PTL symptoms and otherwise feel fine but it is seriously uncomfortable. Have others experienced this? Is it normal? My real worry is that my cervix will be affected by this, thoughts? Does anything help? I kinda want to try an icepack but don't know if it's a good idea. Has anyone tried this or other things that worked?

Thanks in advance,

Amy

2. praises1139

praises1139 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be concerned about being swollen. I look way different down there now, it's weird, everything does look swollen. But it's not really uncomfortable. I think it used to be, but I'm used to it now and it just feels normal. I've been on bedrest though so I'm not sitting in a chair. I don't really feel pressure--do you mean pressure from inside or that your external stuff feels pressure? Make sure you are wearing clothes that fit. Nice, roomy underwear and pants. My SIL got a bad blister down there because she was trying to wear her regular clothes.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am (and was last time as well) very engorged. Blood flow to that area is pretty huge during pregnancy. It's not really painful for me though.

4. Amycplus

I am not really worried about the swelling piece but the soreness worries me and is uncomfortable. It's mostly on the outside and very localized (not my whole pelvis or anything). It's definitely not clothes as everything is very loose. Depending on how things go today at my shower, I may go and have it checked out. I called the Dr yesterday and they didn't seem worried but said I could come in if it's bothering me. I just didn't want to go in before the shower, miss it and then get confirmation that everything is fine. The issue is just so isolated as everything else is great - no contractions etc. I do wonder if I need a support belt to rebalance the weight. Does anyone have recommendations?

5. kellyhod

kellyhod Active Member

I have the same problem. My doc says its normal, but then he says everything is normal <_< All I know for sure is that is miserable. I soaked in a warm tub and used a heating pad. I am sorry your having this trouble.

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I pulled a muscle this time from my left labia out to my inner thigh. What helps me is icing it and not sleeping on my left side. :hug:

7. Amycplus

Thanks ladies,

I think I'm just hitting the wall overall: feeling tired, sore, etc. We've got a ways to go so I need to figure out how to pace myself. I think it's time to work @ home another day of the week. ;)

Cheers,

Amy

8. I feel a lot more pressure down there than normal, and my stuff does look "swollen" at only 9 weeks.. I never experienced that until 20+ weeks with my girls. I guess all the extra blood flow is at work :lol:

9. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

You could have varicosities. Varicose veins in the labia during pregnancy is not uncommon. Pressure, swelling, etc can be very normal and not be varicosities,too. You can always ice it, that is what I do after being on my feet for 12 hours at work. Wouldn't hurt to have your doc take a peek. Good luck!

10. mamita

mamita Well-Known Member

I've had the same issue since about 16 weeks or so. I am now 27 1/2 weeks. My OB took a look once and said it wasn't varicose veins, it's just swelling. But man, it is really swollen some days. That's what I don't understand, what makes it more swollen some days and not so much on other days. When I'm very swollen, it is pretty incomfortable to even sit on the toilet to pee. I've even been brave enough a few times to grab a hand-mirror and it just looks....huge. I hope it all goes back to normal after birth!!