Gifts for 6yo girls

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Minette, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Sarah and Amy are turning 6 in less than a month and I haven't bought them a thing. :woah: This is so different from previous years!

Part of it is that we're starting a complete house renovation in a few months, and we'll be moving out for 6-9 months. So I'm not inclined to add lots of stuff to our load, especially not big stuff like a backyard climber (which would otherwise be great).

But it's also just that I have no idea what to get them. The things they like (building toys, Polly Pockets, art supplies, dress-up, baby doll care...) we have tons of already. I'm not a fan of anything that emphasizes "beauty" (makeup, especially, but also jewelry-making, hairstyle kits, etc.). They're not into horses. We got a bunch of board games for Xmas last year and they barely played with them at all -- I'll keep trying, but I'm not about to add more. And they spend enough time using our tech gadgets, I don't want them to have free access to one of their own.

I can get them lots of craft supplies -- that's what they spend most of their time doing -- and some more books, but beyond that, I'm at a loss. Any ideas? I'm even considering American Girl dolls -- that's how desperate I am. :escape: (Just kidding -- they're beautiful dolls -- I just think the whole AG "world" is kind of a moneymaking racket.)

2. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

You said they like building things, do they have legos or lincold logs? Maybe a lego table?

What about a day out at a place like build a bear or something like that?

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Do they like to shop? I've done Justice gift cards for Aaron's friends who are girls and those are a hit. Sadly, that will not lighten your load. Good luck!

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

What about something that is crafty but big. Like a special treasure box they can decorate with paints and stuff.

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We did build a bear for the girls

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My daughter keeps thanking me for her pillow pet! :) Good luck. Gifts are not my forté. Sleeping bag? Tent?

7. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

My two are in love with these dolls. Much less expensive than American Girl dolls, but just as cute (cuter, IMO) and high quality. If they like clothes, you could go with clothes that they will need for the winter anyway, or maybe some cute mittens, scarves, tights, boots. Books and movies are always good. A pack of multi-colored paper and cool pens. Cute cups and dishes.

2 people like this.
  8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks for posting this! I have been looking for a doll for Lila for Christmas & really am not into paying American Girl prices. These look adorable!

9. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

My kids like the PERPLEXUS balls. Our Target now has 3 different ones. It's like a maze inside a ball. Very entertaining and addictive. :) Crafts are also a big hit around here.

10. Minette

Thanks for all the ideas! I had actually been meaning to get them pillow pets (they've been begging) but forgot about it. Now I just have to decide which animal... I'm afraid they'll open it up and go "Oh, a pig... Mommy, I really wanted a duck." Trying to figure out if there is some sneaky way to ask them.

Lego table is also perfect for us since they've been building complicated Lego things with DH. I keep hoping someday they'll build stuff on their own, but right now they seem very focused on doing it exactly like the picture -- and they can't do that without help.

11. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We're getting our girls a karoke machine! Something simple, with the option of plugging in two microphones, because they LOVE to sing.

12. TD

TD Well-Known Member

There is a canadian equivalent to these dolls. Not sure how the price compares though.

Maplelea

13. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Hannah loves her AG doll. Just sayin'.... ;)

BUT, she also loves her DESK! Best gift ever from Santa last year. She loves crafts, and she has art supplies at her disposal that she can use all on her own in her room. If they share a room, that may be harder.

She also loves Legos, and asks constantly for a second pillow pet!

14. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I ditto those dolls. I have seen them at Target and they are super cute!! Target also has AG doll copycats. We have them and the girls love them!

Other ideas (my kiddos just turned 6) that were a hit here were:

fairy set (fairy toob) of small fairy figurines
    gogo-walking dogs (my DD really really wants a dog, but we rent so it is not happening, she loves this silly dog)
    magazines (we got Zoobooks and they already get Ranger Rick and ASK)
    colored bubbles/bath crayons (still a hit after 3 years!)
    books
    personal CD player and CDs (mine love musicals and soundtracks)
    classes (dance? gymnastics? art?)
    terrarium (really neat)
    Sea Monkeys!

I know you said no more art....but what about a 'gift set'. I gave my girls white t-shirts, fabric markers, and fabric paint. THEY loved it and created two shirts and a pair of socks each. The only 'mess' was storing a small set of fabric markers ( we used up the paint). The shirts they wear as PJs and the socks are fun whenever. Functional and fun! Jo Anns has all sorts of white things they could paint/decorate-- bags, shirts, socks, hats, etc.

For an idea of 'what' they want for holidays and birthday- I have them make a wish list with the newspaper ads. They cut/paste/label things from the ads that they are interested in. YES we state they are going to get it all- but it gives me an idea of what in particular they are thinking of (type of doll, type of pillow pet, color shoes, etc)

15. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

DArn it, wont let me edit.

I meant we state they ARE NOT going to get all the things on their list!! LOL.

16. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

If you don't mind the work my girls love their fish tank. We've had it for over a two years now and still have some of the original fish. We have albino corys(2), a neon (lost his friends), a gloline(only one left), zebra fish (2 normal 1 orange), guppies (7). Plus 2 ghost shirmp and my army of apple snails. Apple snails require a male and female to reproduce and mine have twice. It's really cool to watch them grow. My cousin has a predatory tank which all the extra guppys go. The girls understand that the extras are going to be fish food and keep asking to go see his sharks.

17. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

we were in a mall and I just a eked them if they were to get one... And we are NOT getting one today, which one would you pick? Good luck!

18. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Have you thought about maybe getting season passes to a zoo or museum if there is one close enough to you? They wouldn't be clutter and the fun would last a whole year.

1 person likes this.
  19. Minette

More great ideas, thanks! My list is getting much longer. :ibiggrin:

Michelle, if you find a good karaoke machine, post it! I've thought of something like that, but haven't investigated it yet. I know there are iPhone apps that do the same thing, but it would be a lot more fun with an actual machine they could operate themselves.

20. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

How about a magazine subscription?

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Magazines-for-Young-Girls/lm/R3AB0AHQG0OVW8/ref=cm_lmt_srch_f_2_rsrsrs0

21. MichelleL

I asked my local twins club and one mom said she got her girls the iCarly machine. But, the reviews on the TRU site were awful! A mom that I met through the girls' school said she bought her DD one that was around $100 (brand name but I forget!) and you have the ability to plug in 2 mics. I just sent her an email for more info and I will share once I have it. :D

22. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

Ok, I know you said no tech gadgets, but I don't really consider this camera to be in that category:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=16451731&findingMethod=rr

My kids LOVE this camera! I think it has been one of their favorite toys ever. It takes pictures and make videos. And they don't take up a lot of space. They take pictures of their stuffed animals, each other, outdoor photos, all kinds of stuff. They take videos of themselves signing :wub: and one of them took a video of me ordering a coffee at a drive through, including me ordering, paying, and go some good footage of the cahsier as we drove off! :laughing:

These have been a lot of fun for them on longer car rides and on vacations. The batteries have always survived the whole trip, which is nice. I don't let them use them all the time, but they've had them for two years and still really like them. I'm planning on buying my youngest one for her birthday.

23. MichelleL

I have the info for you on the karaoke machine our new friend at school got her DD. Here's her email to me:

Here's the link. :good: I just received a 20% coupon from TRU, so I think I'm going to go and get this today!!

I noticed it has a top loading CD compartment and the option for dual microphones - two important details for me personally.