Frequent ear infections

Discussion in 'General' started by Tamaralynn, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Both my twins boys have tubes. Nathaniel got his in June, and is now on his first infection since then, so pretty good, but he is on his second course of antibiotics with a 2 days gap between the 2. William got his tubes a little over a month ago and has been on antibiotics pretty much since the week after surgery. It's been NON stop ear infections, although I am pretty sure it is the same one that is just not clearing up. I was hoping with the tubes we would have less ear infections. Anyone else go through this? Any recommendations?

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Are you doing oral or ear drop antibiotics? I would ask the doc to prescribe the drops if he/she has not.

3. Tamaralynn

I am doing both Oral and the drops.

4. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

I would recommend a pediatric chiropractor. We always go to one for ear infections and it works for us. Good luck...I am sure that is no fun for the little guys.

1 person likes this.
  5. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

There is no need for oral antibiotics with tubes, unless the Floxin or Ciprodex haven't worked. Thats one of the biggest reasons to get tubes....no antibiotics. My kids have very frequent ear infections. My kids don't respond well to floxin at all, only the ciprodex drops work for them. You have to use them consistently about 2/day for at least 7 days in a row. Mitchell is on his 5th set of tubes and kenna has had 4 sets. I feel so bad for them because we keep getting told they will outgrow it but hasn't happened at 6 years old!

good luck!

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

This was going to be my suggestion. Good luck!

7. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I know this isn't help now, but I do think they will grow out of it--but later, much later. I had cronic ear infections as a child, every single time I got a cold I would end up with an ear infection. I did grow out of it--when I hit my puberty growth spurt at 12. I'm now almost 39 and I haven't had an ear infection since. I had tubes and also had my adnoids out because my nose/throat was draining into my ears, but nothing stopped it until a major growth spurt.

I'd try the chiropractor--my parents never tried that with me.

8. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I would speak with an ent again. The tubes may not be draining correctly or may not be inserted right

9. Tamaralynn

The ear drops alone do not clear up their infections. We have tried that route.

10. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I third the pediatric chiropractor!!! Addison has done so much better since I started taking her! I take all of my kids now.

When Addison kept having one infection after another the ENT took her adenoids out.

11. 4jsinPA

Have you gone back to the ENT or just the ped? Only reason I ask is I always go to my ped who says one thing and my ENT is like "the peds dont have the equipment to see into the ears like we do"...Mitchell had a granuloma (hope I spelled that right) that grew over his ear preventing pretty much anything from draining. He had one tube pulled out because of that. It grew again over this tube but we put the drops in for 10 days straight and it went away. One time when McKenna's infection wouldn't go away with drops, then oral antibiotics, we eventually had to get a shot of some antibiotic (rocefin or something?). My ENT did tell me some people just have to have them taken out and new ones put in.
    Hope you guys figure out whats going on!

12. TwinxesMom

We just went back to the ent Friday for a scheduled visit. Jessy had failed one in the school test. They looked in her ears and it was really junked up around her tubes(which were not in her ear drum any longer). They cleaned both ears out and removed the old tubes. So it may simply be builduP around the tube.

1 person likes this.
  13. Tamaralynn

William has seen the ENT since his surgery, it was the ENT that put him on biaxin and cipro drops. It never cleared, so he was put on Zithromax and cipro drops. He finished his zithromax on Sat and I am still seeing discharge. Nathaniel I took the the clinic Thursday night. I picked him up form daycare and noticed he had a fever, looked in his ears and saw lots of discharge that wasnt there in the morning. He had just finished a course of antibiotics for a sinus infection on the Tuesday. Today his left ear started bleeding. I am calling their ENT in the morning. He has clinic on Tuesdays, hopefully he can fit them in.

14. 4jsinPA

oh gosh how frustrating!! Sounds a lot like Mitchell. They just put in those t-tubes or something that are supposed to last for like 5 years or something and his already fell out. The bleeding sounds a lot like a granuloma! Good luck at the ENT!

15. Tamaralynn

Thanks. I got them an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. So I guess I'll see what he has to say.

16. Tamaralynn

SO the ENT referred the twins to a Ped. He told me he has NO idea why they are still getting frequent infections, which considering he is an ENT, shouldnt he KNOW?! Nathaniel STILL has an awful infection in his left ear and he has been on oral and antibiotic drops for 7 days now. I am debating on whether or not I should take him to the ER. It's been almost a month now for him, he is in OBVIOUS pain, not sleeping, cranky, barely eating. I dont want it to effect his hearing. Not sure they would do anything though.

17. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

sounds like you need anther ENT. I wouldn't go back to a ped. I'd also be super angry & frustrated at that ENT.

18. Tamaralynn

I am. I just looked at William's ears and he is starting to get some disharge again now too. I am ready to :headbang: I am supper frustrated at this point.

19. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I think it's important to remember that doctors, any kind, study the human body. They didn't engineer it and much of it remains a mystery.
    Now it sounds like the ENT doesn't have very good bedside manner, but he performed a proceedure that has worked for many many children, but doesn't always work and the experts frankly do not know why.

I'm really sorry to hear your son is still in such pain. If it were me, I'd be ready to try some alternatives. Essential oil of Lavander is supposed to help, as are chiropractic treatments. I've also hear eliminating dairy from the child's diet for at least three months can help.

Edited to add--I found this article, http://www.massagemag.com/News/massage-news.php?id=9438 explain the type of treatment a chiropractor might use and why it helps.

1 person likes this.
  20. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I fell about 3 years ago and ever since then I've had issues with my ears. I've been to the doctor and have been treated for ear infections. I just started going to a chiroprator and he massaged my neck, the muscles that run from the ears down to the shoulders to drain the liquid. He also suggested eating garlic and putting white vineger in my ears.
    Sorry this seems like an endless cycle. :hug:

21. 4jsinPA

I think they need the tubes out of their ears personally. Something is not right in them. The chiro is worth a shot...tried it with my kids...it did nothing...they are just prone to those ear infections unfortunately. Some kids unfortunately do not respond good to the tubes. One of my friends daughter had to have her tubes removed because her ears were constantly bothering her after they were put in. I def say go to a new ENT and see what is going on...that is not normal. Was he able to cleary see the tubes...with no obstruction? Seems odd that he would refer you to a ped...um...what are they going to do? Send you to an ENT? So sorry this is so hard on them. Have you tried switching types of drops? Maybe the floxin would work better for them?

22. TwinxesMom

I say see another ent too. We have one that just does ears. Maybe that would be better?

23. Tamaralynn

THanks girls. Before the tubes we had WAY more infections, especially Nathaniel, but when they do get one now it take forever to clear. Well the ped I am being referred to is a collegue, so hopefully if he says I need to see an ENT, he knows ANOTHER one.....

I'll look into chiro