First birthday cakes

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by schmack82, Oct 20, 2011.

1. schmack82

schmack82 Well-Known Member

Hi guys!

My girls turn 1 on Sunday and I am chopping and changing between whether I make them each a cake, make them a cupcake each to actually eat, and make a big cake for everyone else? I keep changing my mind!!!!!

Any guidance?

Lisa

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I went a bit overboard for their first birthday. I bought cupcakes,a sheet cake and individual cakes for each of them. This year we just did cupcakes for them and us and that worked out great. I don't think you can go wrong with any of your plans, just figure out what is easiest for you because there are a lot of other things to do.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I did one cake from a bakery and had two individual cupcakes for each of the kids for their 1st birthday. I still crack up remembering my DS practically devouring his cupcake. I'd never seen anything like it!
    Good planning your children's party! It will be a lot of fun!

4. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

We did muffins for everyone which the children loved. I will add that our first birthday was very low key, just the four of us after DH got home from work earlier.

5. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We did two separate cakes shaped like the number 1 for the kids and then I had a sheetcake for everyone else. The number cakes were huge and my kids ate almost nothing, so the cupcake idea would have been perfect.

6. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I baked a regular cake and then I cut a template #1 from paper - copied from the #1 on a ballon, and I used that to cut 2 #1 that would fit the trays from their highchairs, and that was their cake. In case I wasn't too clear with my explanation, here's a picture. Also I bought a #1 cake tray and I baked 2 different cakes for the party, one for each child, those were the cakes where they "blew the candles", then we just put their trays with the little cakes on their highchairs. The candles were on the big cakes, and the small cakes were just for fun for them. We had some leftover cake, but at least each child had their cake and blew their own candle. In total we had 4 cakes shaped like #1, two small and two big ones.

[​IMG]

Happy Birthday to your girls and have fun at the party!

7. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

We had one cake for the both of them and each had a heart shaped sandwich/banana/chocolate tower. I also did cake pops. They didn't really mind, I just made sure our guests had enough to eat :). For their second birthday they'll definitely be having their own cake.

1st Birthday Cake

8. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We had a large cake for each of the guests, and then I made each of the boys a cupcake to smash (I mainly did that because of their soy intolerance - I was afraid to give them the bakery cake).

9. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

we did cupcakes for the grown ups and smash cakes (6 inch round cakes) for each twin. Looking back wish I had done cupcakes for them also.

10. lizzbeech

lizzbeech Guest

I vote for separate cakes or each of them having a cupcake!

11. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

My kids acted very confused by the cupcakes! Seriously, they didn't eat them or smash them- just stared and poked.

We did two cupcakes. It was super low-key, though. Just us, the grandparents on one side, a niece, and my two best friends. Oh, and my family via Facetime. :)

12. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I bought a #1 shaped cake pan and baked two cakes. Decorated one with pink and purple, the other with blue and purple. I never did smash cakes with my older kids, I just cut them the first piece from their cake, so i did the same with the twins. 2 cakes was plenty for everyone to eat. I also bake all our cakes (from a box ;) ).

13. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

I think a small cake or cupcake for each child to mess up is a good idea and then another sheet cake for everyone else. We have always done separate cakes for each child. it turns out to be too much cake for our parties but it is totally worth it for the girls to each have their own cake. They get to choose the design and we take turns singing to both of them. I feel strongly that each child should be celebrated seperately (they wouldn't really understand at the 1st birthday, but definately for next year)