What do I really need?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by sheila185, Sep 17, 2011.

1. sheila185

sheila185 Well-Known Member

Anyone out there willing to share what I REALLY NEED for twins...the essentials?

2. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

You won't need 2 of everything, although you will need lots of receiving blankets, sleepers, 24is bottles if you are using them, a few pacis. You won't need 2 cribs for a few months. A double stroller is essential. The most useful things I had were 2 bouncy seats. I could bottle feed both at the same time. I wouldn't buy 2 swings. If you can, borrow one and if they both hate it, you haven't wasted a bunch of money. None of my babies really ever liked the swing. You don't need lots of toys. You can rotate them in their playmat, jolly jumper,etc. so you don't need 2 of the big things, although 2 exersaucers are very nice. I can't think of anything else really needed. I kept mine in sleepers most of the time so I didn't worry about too many clothes until they were almost a year!

Congratulations, by the way! When are you due?

3. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I had 2 bouncy seats, 2 nursing pillows, and I only had 2 because it was a good place to prop them both up while feeding them or them just "chilling", a double stroller, I only had 1 swing, I didnt have a ton of bottles, just a starter kit and a few extra. I used the playtex drop ins, it was just WAY easier especially in that newborn fog stage.

4. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

It's so different from parent to parent. I had two swings but no bouncy seat (just used the car seat). I can't remember if I had two exersaucers (it's been a long time). I had two boppies but one EZ to Nurse twins pillow that I used to nurse them (the boppy was mostly as a baby support). I had two cribs, two car seats, two high chairs, and a double stroller. I think I had two playmats but could have gotten away with one.

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We had two of almost everything because my boys are the youngest of all their cousins (7 older cousins). It was nice having 2 bouncers and 2 swings, but we probably could have done with one of each. As they got a bit older, we had two playmats (one tummy mat and one with toys overhead), 1 jumperoo, and 1 exersaucer. It helped to be able to rotate them from place to place to keep them from getting bored.

As far as clothes, our boys were winter babies, so I used footie pajamas almost exclusively at home. We were given tons of "cute" clothes, but really only used them when we went out. We also really, really used the velcro swaddlers - they are much easier and more secure than using blankets.

We also had about 6 lightweight blankets, 4 heavy weight blankets, a few socks and hats (for going out mostly). One thing we LOVED was the carseat covers that you put over the carseat and you can velcro them closed over the baby when it is cold. They were really great during the winter.

I didn't want to be constantly washing bottles, so we had about two dozen bottles and nipple sets in the early days. The dishwasher baskets were really helpful for that - I think we had about 4 of those.

For baths, we had 4 hooded towels and about two dozen wash cloths. My boys had reflux and spit up a LOT, so we ended up using tons of burp cloths, wash cloths, and bibs, so we ended up buying a bunch of extra of those so I wouldn't have to do laundry every single day if I was tired.

For pacifiers, we started with the green ones most hospitals give out, but later switched, so I wouldn't get too many of those until you know if your kids will even take them or have a big preference for a certain kind.

Those are the major things I can think of. It sounds like a lot, but when I look around now at all the stuff my two toddlers have, it actually sounds simple. :babyflips: :laughing:

6. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I know lots of people say they only had one swing but I had 2 and they were a LIFESAVER. I did borrow them however so I didn't buy them. I also had 2 jumperoos which I used a LOT and 2 bouncy sets. I had 2 activity mats but they only used one. I had one of everything from my son and got all my second items second hand so I pretty much had 2 of everything.

7. sheila185

Thanks everyone! Such good advice! I am on modified best rest already so starting to make a list for the hubby! So scared and excited at the same time! Thanks again.

8. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

A lot will depend on what your babies like! We did 2 swings and no bouncy seats...because that is what the kids preferred. For us, the big one was enough bottles for each child to last 24hrs. We washed them each evening in the dishwasher, premade a day's worth of formula, and bottled them all before bed each night. That way they were ready to go the next day, and I didn't have to fuss over making bottles when I was home alone with them. We managed okay with 1 pack n play for a few months, but eventually were given another one when they were older which was nice! We also had two boppys which were nice for feeding them at the same time (propped on each side of me to bottle feed).

9. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

2 boppy pillows (I used them to feed the twins)
    2 swings or 2 bouncy seats (I would get one of each and find out what they really like and then get 2)
    2 sound machines (there are days that they don't sleep together)
    darkening agents for their nursery windows
    lots of receiving blankets (big ones so you can swaddle)
    1 activity mat
    2 exersaucers
    double stroller
    lots of diapers :p

10. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Someone to stay with you guys to help you for a week or so
    Food for you and dh

11. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

If you can't get someone to stay with you during the first few weeks, see if friends or members of your church will drop dinner off every other night. I swear, but for the generosity of our church, I would have lived out of a to go sack for the first few months. Also, see if there are any largely pre-made dinner places near you. In Tucson, we have something called Simply Dinners. You order online, pick up food that is already pre-cut/measured, etc. You basically "mix" and cook. My Church choir director coordinated the meals and set firm rules - dinner delivery was to be accomplished in 15 minutes or less. No staying and visiting, even if we offered!

As for baby stuff, especially for the swing, I might start with one or borrow one until you see what they like. I bought a really fancy swing with a mobile, multiple songs and sounds, various swinging positions - the works. I'll be darned if the girls didn't prefer the old fashioned, hand crank one with nothing on it not even color! I was really sore about it since I spent a ton on the fancy swing and someone gave me the hand crank one.

Baby aquaphor. While every baby reacts differently to different diaper creams (one twin uses A & D, the other uses Destin - neither can use the other's cream), I have yet to meet a baby that Aquaphor doesn't work on.

Video monitor. Sometimes, kiddos " talk" in their sleep, but they don't really need you. The video monitor allows you to look and see if you are really needed, or if you can stay in bed a few minutes longer.

12. sheila185

13. sheila185

I doubt anyone will be staying with us :( Kuddos to the church for setting the rules up when dropping off meals! Not that company is not welcome but sometimes it makes it harder. I have tried to make extras and start freezing in anticipation for the arrival and chaos!