My kiddos both have hand, foot and mouth disease

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Lynn76, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

and I can't do anything for them and it's tearing me up. Motrin or tylenol isn't doing anything for them. Riley has it worse than Jon. His tongue is covered. He can't use his pacie to sleep so it makes sleeping hard for him. I just want to cry. I am glad they have it at the same time so we get it over with but to have 2 toddlers crying and they can't understand why their mouths hurt is really hard. I know we will get over this but right now, it SUCKS :cry: :headbang:

2. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Mine have had this as well, both at the same time when they were about 13months old, and then DD got it a second time when she was around 2! Ugh! Anyway, try and get fluids into them however you can, as it can be painful with sores in their mouths. So, I would give them cold juice, or cold popsicles to try and ease the pain. And other that tylenol for pain, there isn't much else to do, maybe minimize their activities a bit, and a bit more tv time and lots of cuddles, and know that it actually looks worse than it is (as the sores aren't itchy or painful for the most part - except the ones in the mouth which can make it a bit hard to eat). Hang in there, the worst of it only lasted about 2 days for us!

3. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

Thanks! Yeah, they both have had 2 popsicles each today! I know they will have more tomorrow. I am going to continue to push the cold water even maybe a bit of juice to get them to drink. Thankfully they like ice cubes in their drinks so that should help too. I do see a lot of cuddle time on the couch tomorrow. We have netflix so we should be entertained quite a bit!!

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Call your pediatrician first but ours recommend Mixing Benedryl, Tylenol and Mylanta and painting the insides of their mouths it worked wonders. I hope they feel better very soon!!!

5. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

We were at the peds yesterday thats how we found out that they both have this. She did mention mixing the malox with benedryl. I haven't tried it yet. They seem to be pretty happy this morning. Every once in a while someone starts crying and pointing to their mouths. They are drinking cold water so that is helping too.

6. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We went through it In August! No fun. Hope everyone feels better soon.

7. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I'm sorry your kids are sick. I hope they are feeling better soon. Sorry, no experience here (yet) with that particular illness.

8. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! Here's the kicker, my oldest (6yrs old) comes to me and says his mouth hurts. I look in there and really didn't see anything. I look at this hands, and sure enough, there are blisters :headbang: No apple picking tomorrow. At least everyone will be contagious free by the time we leave for MN on Wednesday unless dh or I get it.

9. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I hope you didnt think that I was thinking you didnt know they really had hf&m! I just typed to call the pedi first before painting their mouths with a medication that I recommended LOL!!

I hope your family feels better very soon and that neither you or dh get it!

10. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

No worries!! Didn't read anything into it! It is always good to refer to a ped when it comes to kids!!

11. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

My twins just had it, too! It was HELL. 104 degree fevers for 12 days! It was SOOOOOOO bad! WE got strep at the SAME TIME!! OMG. I thought I was going to hang myself. They're all better now but it was NO FUN!!

GL!

12. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

Yikes! I have nothing to complain about when I read your experience!!

13. BaileyandMarleysMom

BaileyandMarleysMom Well-Known Member

I hope your little ones are much better soon and that no one else in your household comes down with it. Illnesses are just difficult to deal with no matter what and it's even harder when little ones are sick and can't really explain how bad they feel or if they think they are feeling better/worse.

Sending healthy vibes and thoughts your way.

1 person likes this.
  14. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Lynn...I have not had to deal with hand, foot and mouth disease and I hope your little ones are feeling better and no one else in the house catches it. Take care!

15. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

Thanks! It's getting better. The twins aren't fussing anymore which is nice. Nate has it now but he doesn't fuss about it.

16. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I've been through this too and it was awful. One of mine got strep with it, which made it worse. I actually ended up with it and strep too. I'll have to say it was the worst virus I can remember having. It hurt to drink water. I was also told to mix Benadryl and Malox, but found it hard to coat their mouths with. I tried it for myself and it didn't do anything. The poor noodles. Hopefully, they are feeling better soon!