The WHINING!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by megkc03, Aug 7, 2011.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What in the heck do you do about the whining? I've been blessed with not one, but TWO whiners! O.M.G. Anthony, I should have just cloned him at birth! :laughing:

Nicholas is ridiculous. You ask him to do something, try something, and *immediately* out of his mouth is...."I CAN'TTTTTTTTTTTTTT." He just won't try! And he just whines all.day.long. Like he talks through his nostrils. It's maddening. And I never thought a kid could talk sooo much.

Then Annabella learned to speak. Earlier than the boys. And she is a wonderful whiner herself. She starts at sun-up, and stops at sun-down. If we are lucky... She doesn't just want it NOW, she wanted it yesterday! She'll start off her mornings with, "I WANT MILKKKKKKKK. I WANT CEREALLLLL." It's all in a whine!!!!

So how do you curb this wonderful behavior I've been blessed to deal with twice over? DH...he puts them in time out! Now, I don't think that's the right way(more so Annabella....she is like the Energizer bunny....). I don't think she understands what she is doing. The boys are old enough, and if we explain to them, they will generally stop. Annabella is a bit harder to explain it to. However, she understands and she listens to dh. She just keeps at it with me at home.

Any helpful hints? And none of that, "they don't grow out of it til college-aged" stuff either! :laughing:

Or we can all commiserate together! :wine:

2. oma

oma Member

I treated whining like a foreign language I did not understand. I was a broken record. "I don't understand you when you whine. Ask/talk in a nice voice". It eventually worked.

3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We refuse to give in or listen to them until they use words we can understand. And if they don't stop within a reasonable time frame, then they go to their rooms. I can not stand whining. To me it's like nails on a chalkboard. I let it go on for a while, but finally just had too much and we got pretty tough about it.

It takes a few times to be stern with it (and consistent) but they will get it.

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I tell them I can't understand them and they need to use their words. If that doesnt work, I send them to time out until they are ready to be nice. I have a zero tolerance whining policy. If you give in, it just perpetuates the problem.

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Give me strength!

Thanks ladies! Here's to hoping Monday is a new, whine free day! :)

6. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

We have a good book that shows the different emotions and we act them out. When they whine, I tell them that Mommy can't understand sad, whiny voices and they need to make their happy face and ask in their "happy voice" and Mommy will be glad to help them. They learned how to do this very quickly and I now just say "happy voice" when I hear the whining and they smile really big and ask in a nice voice. Sometimes I act like it's killing my ears and they crack up and can't help but use a happy voice.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I tell them that I don't understand whining and when they say it in big girl/big boy voice, that's when Mommy can understand them. And sometimes I do have to act it out for them, the difference between the big girl/boy voice and the whiny voice.

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This 100%. It usually works before the time out occurs. If I have to ask them three times to use their big kid voices, then they go to TO, same as if I had to count to three.

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

This. I hate whining. When the girls were 2 DH taught them to say "Whining is abhorent!"

10. MichB

MichB Well-Known Member

Hi - yes, i agree - whining is the absolute worst sound. I have one whiner and that is enough to drive me mental. I so the same as everyone - I tell her that i don't understand what she is saying and ask her to use her words. I also have started telling the kids that I will never give them what they want if they are whining and/or crying for it. I think they are starting to get it and the whining is starting to slow down. Fingers crossed.

11. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

Oh sister, I FEEL YOUR PAIN! Whining is OUTTA control in our home too. I can't even tell you how many times a day I say, "When you can ask me in nicely and not whine, I will..." or "I don't respond to whining" and so on. UGH! Yea I try to ignore it, tell them to use their words, etc...but I think it just comes with the age. It's maddening! :crazy: