Suddenly allergic to nuts!

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by double-or-nothing, Aug 4, 2011.

1. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Was wondering if any of you have kids with nut allergies. I'm really confused about all this and not sure how to handle it all. Here's a brief history:

A couple of months ago, we were visiting a friend of mine. My daughter tried her first cashew nut ever and after only 1 nut, she complained her mouth felt itchy and then her throat felt funny and then her lip swelled and she had hives all around her mouth. I rushed her to a medical center, but by the time we got there and got seen, she was basically okay (hives disappeared, her symptoms had mostly disappeared). So, we made an appt with the ped and got a referral to do blood work. The test came back that she was highly allergic to Cashew and Pistachios and mildly allergic to hazelnut, and chesstnuts and showed allergies to oak and birch which we suspected from all her sneezing and nose itching during the spring. So, the next step is to see an allergist. we find out she has asthma (which she had as a baby, but apparently hasn't yet out grown, but it's mild and activity related more or less). The next appt is to do the skin test, which is supposedly more accurate than the blood test. Low and behold, she is allergic to grass, almonds, and...PEANUTS. Friggin' peanuts!!!!

Okay, guys, she had a heavily loaded peanut butter and jelly sandwich the day before because we were told she doesn't have an allergy to peanuts after the results of the blood test and I swear, she had NO REACTION to that sandwich.. Now all of a sudden she has an allergy to peanuts???? when they did the skin test, you could see the raised bumps where there was an obvious reaction. The one to peanuts was tiny. There was a bump, but not like the one for grass and almonds. So, I dont' know how seriously to take the peanut allergy. I mean, I won't feed her peanut butter anymore (which she's not happy about, especially after having to give up Nutella), but I'm wondering to what extreme or how serious I need to take this allergy as peanuts seem to be everywhere and in everything. The allergy is not severe. I don't even think it's high. I carry an epipen everywhere I go, but more of a precaution than anything.

i've been trying to find an online support group where I can discuss these issues, but can't seem to find anything that matches our needs.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer me.

Mel

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Did you talk to the allergist about your concerns? [​IMG]

3. double-or-nothing

Yes, but all she says is, why take the chance? I just don't understand how strong her allergy is. If it's just a little, then I can be a little more relaxed about not having to check the ingredients of EVERYTHING she eats (packaged products, anyway). If she has something that says on the package,MAY contain nuts, or MAY contain peanuts, do I not allow her to have those things anymore, when it's probably such a trace amount? I mean, I feel like those warnings are for the kids who have severe allergies, and even high allergies, so i'm being very careful to avoid cashews and pistachios and now almonds. sigh. it's just all confusing.

4. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

Hopefully this will help put things into perspective without scaring you.

DS is allergic to peanuts and egg. He was diagnosed at a year after eating egg and having a slight reaction. He had never had peanuts, but blood and skin were tested. His skin test for peanuts was negative and for blood slightly positive based on the normal range of 0.35 - 0.6. Over the years [just turned 6], his numbers have continued to drop from low to very low. His most recent RAST value for peanuts was 0.63. He did a food challenge on Mon and had a pretty severe reaction that resulted in the use of 2 EpiPens, benedryl, and prednisone [for 3 days to prevent delayed anaphalaxis].

There is a lot of contamination between peanuts and treenuts so I would definitely check labels for cross contamination.

I was told early on that reactions can be cumulative so even though she did not react to one peanut butter sandwich, she may react to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.

Food allergies are scary. I would definitely discuss further with your allergist. The RAST numbers just tell you the probability of reaction; not the severity.

Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. double-or-nothing

thank you so much for the info and i will take your advice to heart. gosh, did our parents deal with all these allergies? I know I didn't and don't remember any of my friends when we were kids dealing with this much allergy stuff.

6. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Everyone gave you excellent advice already. My oldest is severely allergic to Peanut, he had a severe reaction at 13 months, and one of the twins is highly allergic to Eggs and mildly to peanut. Like a previous post said, she may be having sligt reactions to the peanut butter now that you and her may not me noticing, however, as she continues eating it, she may have more and more severe allergic reaction to peanuts. My oldest starting eating peanut butter around 9 months, and he ate it quite often up until he had his severe reaction. Looking back he was having slight reactions, such as skin itch when he ate it, but because he has eczema I never clued it. I would just be careful. Peanuts are also a legume, so she may be allergic to some legumes as well. One of the twins that has a peanut allergy is also allergic to peas, and his a legume.

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I would take it serious even if her reactions don't seem too severe.

One of my sister's found out at age 21 that she was allergic to peanuts even though she had been eating peanuts all her life and never had a reaction (that she knew of). Since learning about that, she does not take the chance and stays away from peanuts as you just never know how the reaction will be.

:hug: I'm sorry, I can't imagine how hard it is to have a child allergic to something so common. And be sure you definitely let their school be aware of it.

8. double-or-nothing

thanks guys! You are all so wonderful.

Amy, yes, I will definitely notify their school, though fortunately I'm homeschooling them for Kindergarten :)

9. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I didn't realize you were doing that.

10. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had allergy testing done myself in the past because I was obviously having some reactions to something (hives) but couldn't figure out what. I actually tested positive for quite a few things, some more strongly than others. One of the things that I had a slight reaction to (similar to what you are describing with the peanuts) was shellfish. I had never had a reaction to shellfish in my life & often ate shrimp & crab. When I discussed it with the allergist, he said that I could continue to eat it, but that likely every time I ate it the allergy would likely get a little worse until one day I would end up with a major reaction. He said every time you are exposed to something you are allergic to the allergy can get worse and you never know when, or if, you will get a bad reaction. So, his advice was the same... why risk it? I have stopped eating shellfish, although I really miss it!

11. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Have you tried Sunbutter? We have a peanut-free house and my kids like sunbutter as a PB substitute.

1 person likes this.
  12. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Allergies get worse over time, with more exposure. That is why some come on later in life. It is also why she might not show a reaction right now to peanut butter but in the future, she could show one. There are allergy forums out there, if you would like, I can get a site from a good friend of mine. Her daughter has several allergies and she has sent me the forum info in the past (my son was egg allergic but outgrew it),

13. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sun Butter!

14. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Ditto Sunbutter!

I would follow up with allergist. Allergies can change over time as well ( Mine got worse- seasonal, my brother is allergic to shellfish and it has gotten better)

You could even ask about allergy shots.....we did them due to SEVERE seasonal allergies (no foods) that made it very hard to even go outside except in winter. They really really helped, the girls still take meds- but not heavy doses nor do their eyes swell/hives appear like they once did.

Peanuts/ nut allergies are different so be wary. Legumes (peanuts) are also similar to chickpeas, peas, etc so watch for those reactions. Nuts (cashews, almonds, etc) are often hidden in other ingrediants so make sure you check labels if the reaction is severe. Often people will react to both nuts & legumes-- as well as they often are found together (trail mix, cookies, etc).

We did back scratch tests & blood. They were different in results. We went with what we see reactions to--- dust, cat/dog, mold, pollen.

I would suggest an identi-band or medi-alert if you do ANYTHING that they do on their own. I know you said you are HS- but even drop-off zoo classes, dance class, etc where she may be with a teacher of some kind (or any adult that may not be aware of her allergy). A peanut allergy can get worse over time and you dont want an unknowing adult to mistreat for an allergic reaction. They have cute kid shoe medi-alert tags, zipper pulls, bracklets, anklets, etc. (I have a medi-alert band and have used both a watch tag, shoe tag, and traditional bracelet). The kid ones are really nice these days--- just google kids medical tag or medical bracelet
    HERE are some cute kid ones

My dr gave me a free medialert band too....it is plain, but I have it on my purse as a backup. You just never know and it is something medical staff will look for.

15. double-or-nothing

Sunbutter! I have to check that out.

Thanks again guys for all the info and words of support.

I have a pamphlet for some really cute jewelry for allergy alerts. I will def invest in one though I'm thinking more of the rubber type bracelets since she is so active and loves to be in the water (and they are really expensive. Maybe I can make my own? :D)

And I will take everything you have all said to heart and treat this thing properly. We are moving soon to Puerto Rico, so I"m hoping that the spring allergies won't be as severe since they don't go through a full rebirth of trees and grass like they do here in NY. But the nut allergy I will take very seriously. I even got extra Rx for more epipens so that I can be sure to give one to my FIL and his wife and one for my MIL and her husband so that if there is ever a reaction they will be prepared as well. Of course I will have to teach them how to use it. :D

Interesting about the hives/allergies, Tina. I too have always suffered from hives, but the doc just told me (many years ago) that it was most likely related to my nervous system. Perhaps I should have myself tested as well? Hmmm...

Thanks all!